2020 season, Do the Vols ever appear in top 25 and....?

2020 season, Do the Vols ever appear in top 25 and who gets the nod at QB?

• Yes, JG starting quarterback all year

• No, JG starting quarterback all year

• Yes, HB/Maurer get some starts

• No, HB/Maurer get some starts

Results are only viewable after voting.
10 wins with JG starting all games, 8 with a mix of starts between him and HB. Let JG lead and do what seniors do. JG will lead the offense just fine, our defense has come alive and will give the offense plenty of opportunity.

This.. JG will be just fine next year. We should have more quality depth on defense also.

10 wins with JG starting all games, 8 with a mix of starts between him and HB. Let JG lead and do what seniors do. JG will lead the offense just fine, our defense has come alive and will give the offense plenty of opportunity.
Uh..that is what got UT in the bad spots in the first place...He isn't a leader. He isn't the leader Tennessee needs.

Last edited:
Okla without Hurts will be very beatable. Tennessee in 20 won't resemble this year's team. Bigger stronger and faster.
I agree another year in the weight rooms will truly help. But what this team needs is leaders I think we have one at the linebacker position. But I believe we a still lacking on the offensive side off the ball.

even if JG starts doubt he'd be able to go all season...HB and BM will get some playing time, no doubt...they didn't recruit HB to sit the pine all year either...if he can do in college what he did in HS, he may be the starter before the season ends...he's special...

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Okay, we almost beat BAMA, we talked it to death, this season. CJP knows everything there is to know about BAMA football, we will easily whip them next season, I'm not sure who will beat us (if anyone), but we may have one tough game, two at most-you never know about injuries, next season 9-10 wins easily. We are on a roll. Finish in top 4, and have shot at THE NATY.
I don't believe we beat 'Bama easily, however, I do believe there is a real possibility that Pruitt is the first former Saban assistant to beat him, if he continues to develop the team the way he has so far.

I think it’s going to be another up and down year. Prob another 7-5 or 8-4 with JG being JG and costing himself a few starts.
Exactly what I said on Saturday in response the post about our linebackers. While we are very deep at four position groups, the only proven position groups are LBs and DL. QB was spotty and so was RB and OL this year. OL had a much better pass protection than recent years,l but the Vandy game was the first game we put up rushing numbers. Based on some of Gray’s comments, that could be because our RBs aren’t hitting holes quickly enough... but there were some huge holes I had not seen much all year in that game. We are losing the person who created those holes most likely—TS. Also, I don’t think Kennedy is a lock to return. If we lose both of those guys, we take a step back more than likely at that position at least at the beginning of the year. We lose almost every proven player at every other proven position as well except DL and DB as well. Jennings AND Callaway are both gone along with DWA. That going to hurt our WR group. Then there is Bituli and DT at LB. That is going to REALLY hurt. We lost to Ga St when we didn’t have Bituli in this year. Yes, Tootoo is good but, he can’t play four positions and Crouch is not at the same level as Tootoo. Additionally, we lose Warrior at Safety.

Even if our QBs throw dimes all year, we need WRs to step up. Palmer is the only WR that has any respectable PT and numbers and they are not that impressive. His highlight reel probably is though. He has a LOT of potential. Even if our RBs are ready to go, we still have to replace TJ and Tatum who transferred which helped our depth.

All that said, there is no real reason that we should >expect< to be that much better if any than we were at the end of last year. If TS returns, that will be enormous because it will change things for our RBs, and QBs. We did recruit 4 OLs this year. People were saying we recruited more DL than OL this year, but it is four and four. Granted the ratings are higher for the DL, but that has proven to not necessarily be accurate.

Regardless, we DO have some key pieces that should certainly be strengths and should be no surprise if they help us to do better than this year.
We have a level of depth and experience we have yet to have in some time at RB, QB and OL.

We should be VERY good at D in the middle and on the edge with everyone returning including a healthier Williams and Gooden at DL and Taylor and Thompson on the edge yet again.

On O, our QB room boasts three obviously capable QBs with solid experience, a transfer who has been on campus for a year that has potential, as well as an impressive incoming dual threat QB and star along with the best incoming Freshman QB we have had since Manning IMO. At RB, Jordan, Gray and Chandler are all solid backs who have flashed.

Consistency from those groups will be greatly dictated by our OL playing more consistently. Kennedy will be a key return if he is allowed to come back and Wright and Morris will have to play advanced sophomore football. Morris is the only one of those to make a big impact at a younger age as of yet. That said, when you look at our roster we are ridiculously deep at that position just like our DL was last year. Even moreso. We have TWENTY guys playing on OL next year and that excludes Trey Smith, Tatum and RJ. If we can’t get solid play out of this many guys next year which includes two star OLs with significant PT, like we did with the DL this year, we need to look at another OL coach.

All in all, I think there is still too much unproven talent and youth to expect more than 8 wins. We are deeper than in the past at most positions, but too much of that is underclassmen. If our OL, Backfield and WR have a coming out parties... our strengths continue to be strengths at edge and DL and we get the consistency we have yet to show at QB and RB, we could do much better.

Last edited:
I think the Vols will be ranked before the Oklahoma game just because it is Oklahoma and if the Sooners Win all the media will get a hard on by saying Oklahoma beat a ranked team!!!

Exactly what I said on Saturday in response the post about our linebackers. While we are very deep at four position groups, the only proven position groups are LBs and DL. QB was spotty and so was RB and OL this year. OL had a much better pass protection than recent years, but the Vandy game was the first game we put up rushing numbers. Based on some of Gray’s comments, that could be because our RBs aren’t hitting holes quickly enough... but there were some huge holes I had not seen much all year in that game. We are losing the person who created those holes most likely—TJ. Also, I don’t think Kennedy is a lock to return. If we lose both of those guys, we take a step back more than likely at that position at least at the beginning of the year. We lose almost every proven player at every other proven position as well except DL and DB as well. Jennings AND Callaway are both gone along with DWA. That going to hurt our WR group. Then there is Bituli and DT at LB. That is going to REALLY hurt. We lost to Ga St when we didn’t have Bituli in this year. Yes, Tootoo is good but, he can’t play four positions and Crouch is not at the same level as Tootoo. Additionally, we lose Warrior at Safety.

Even if our QBs throw dimes all year, we need WRs to step up. Palmer is the only WR that has any respectable PT and numbers and they are not that impressive. His highlight reel probably is though. He has a LOT of potential. Even if our RBs are ready to go, we still have to replace TJ and Tatum who transferred which helped our depth.

All that said, there is no real reason that we should >expect< to be that much better if any than we were at the end of last year. If TJ returns, that will be enormous because it will change things for our RBs, and QBs. We did recruit 4 OLs this year. People were saying we recruited more DL than OL this year, but it is four and four. Granted the ratings are higher for the DL, but that has proven to not necessarily be accurate.

Regardless, we DO have some key pieces that should certainly be strengths and should be no surprise if they help us to do better than this year.
We have a level of depth and experience we have yet to have in some time at RB, QB and OL.

We should be VERY good at D in the middle and on the edge with everyone returning including a healthier Williams and Gooden at DL and Taylor and Thompson on the edge yet again.

On O, our QB room boasts three obviously capable QBs with solid experience, a transfer who has been on campus for a year that has potential, as well as an impressive incoming dual threat QB and star along with the best incoming Freshman QB we have had since Manning IMO. At RB, Jordan, Gray and Chandler are all solid backs who have flashed.

Consistency from those groups will be greatly dictated by our OL playing more consistently. Kennedy will be a key return if he is allowed to come back and Wright and Morris will have to play advanced sophomore football. Morris is the only one of those to make a big impact at a younger age as of yet. That said, when you look at our roster we are ridiculously deep at that position just like our DL was last year. Even moreso. We have TWENTY guys playing on OL next year and that excludes Trey Jones, Tatum and RJ. If we can’t get solid play out of this many guys next year which includes two star OLs with significant PT, like we did with the DL this year, we need to look at another OL coach.

All in all, I think there is still too much unproven talent and youth to expect more than 8 wins. We are deeper than in the past at most positions, but too much of that is underclassmen. If our OL, Backfield and WR have a coming out parties... our strengths continue to be strengths at edge and DL and we get the consistency we have yet to show at QB and RB, we could do much better.
Who is TJ or Trey Jones? Am I missing something?

If TN gets to 10 wins it won't be based solely on JG or QB play. It'll be because we found a running game and receivers have emerged post Callaway and Jennings. It'll also be because the D has more talent and depth and is getting off the field. I like that model, it's sustainable.

Because we haven't had all that in years past we have needed a QB to put us on his shoulders and carry us. Dobb's did it in 2016. But that's not who JG is, although that's what we needed to try and compete. Anyway I don't like that model, it's not sustainable. Even 2016 showed that with the finish. CBJ never figured that out.......at this level.

Exactly what I said on Saturday in response the post about our linebackers. While we are very deep at four position groups, the only proven position groups are LBs and DL. QB was spotty and so was RB and OL this year. OL had a much better pass protection than recent years, but the Vandy game was the first game we put up rushing numbers. Based on some of Gray’s comments, that could be because our RBs aren’t hitting holes quickly enough... but there were some huge holes I had not seen much all year in that game. We are losing the person who created those holes most likely—TJ. Also, I don’t think Kennedy is a lock to return. If we lose both of those guys, we take a step back more than likely at that position at least at the beginning of the year. We lose almost every proven player at every other proven position as well except DL and DB as well. Jennings AND Callaway are both gone along with DWA. That going to hurt our WR group. Then there is Bituli and DT at LB. That is going to REALLY hurt. We lost to Ga St when we didn’t have Bituli in this year. Yes, Tootoo is good but, he can’t play four positions and Crouch is not at the same level as Tootoo. Additionally, we lose Warrior at Safety.

All that said, there is no real reason that we should >expect< to be that much better if any than we were at the end of last year. If TJ returns, that will be enormous because it will change things for our RBs, and QBs. We did recruit 4 OLs this year. People were saying we recruited more DL than OL this year, but it is four and four. Granted the ratings are higher for the DL, but that has proven to not necessarily be accurate.

Consistency from those groups will be greatly dictated by our OL playing more consistently. Kennedy will be a key return if he is allowed to come back and Wright and Morris will have to play advanced sophomore football. Morris is the only one of those to make a big impact at a younger age as of yet. That said, when you look at our roster we are ridiculously deep at that position just like our DL was last year. Even moreso. We have TWENTY guys playing on OL next year and that excludes Trey Jones, Tatum and RJ. If we can’t get solid play out of this many guys next year which includes two star OLs with significant PT, like we did with the DL this year, we need to look at another OL coach.

Best incoming freshman since Manning? My goodness

JG is all vol, no one doubts that. He’s tough and a good guy!!, but at some point he’ll have to play better consistently. Right now, I’d say at some point next year HB is your starting QB.
8-4? Just remember, we should be 9-3 right now!

I think we have the coaches, and the losing culture was flipped to winning this year. I think the players are buying in and putting in the effort. But I dont think we have the talent to win more than 8 next year. But hey, that's progress and almost certainly gets us into the top 25 at some point.

I expect to be ranked in the upper teens and twenties a good part of the year. JG starts, plays well enough to win a couple games. Gets hurt somehow and then the mix is on to see who can prove they got it. JG returns a couple games later and competes to finish out the season, much like this year. 2020 will be determined by four games Ok, Fl, Ga, & Al. Win 1 of those games and all but one of the others, and I‘ll see progression.

Charlotte – W 49-3
Oklahoma – L 38-41
Furman – W 45-10
Florida – L 28-29
Missouri – W 35-21
South Carolina – W 38-28
Alabama – L 27-30
Arkansas – W 42-17
Kentucky – W 28-20
Georgia – L 35-45
Troy – W 42-0
Vanderbilt – W 49-6

8-4 (5-3) 3rd SEC East

If JG plays the entire year and E. Gray plays like he did against Vanderbilt a couple of these swing games I could see pushing the other way.

Realistically though by the Missouri game we will start seeing Maurer or Bailey at this point. The good news though is by the end of the year I feel confident that we will be chomping at the bit to get 2021 here faster because that could be our year to do some damage.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I think JG will finally be comfortable with the new system, and with his experience, will be the starting QB for the year unless he gets hurt. Not to say he'll be a superstar by any means, but I think he'll be the most comfortable running the offense for what we want to do with Chaney as OC.

However, I do think that HB should absolutely be the starter IF he's clearly way ahead of JG in camps. Much like JG, who is a smart kid, I think any QB could have basic struggles his 1st year in the system that would limit the playbook for Chaney. We'll just have to wait and see. I'm rooting for JG though, hope he has a great final year as a Vol.

VN Store

Back