2020 Presidential Race

Because voting isn't painful.

Well maybe 2016 and this year it's painful with the choices we have but....
The analogy isn’t voting=pain
The analogy is it’s not up to you to decide what other people are experiencing... but you knew that

Because if you are willing to put in a minimal amount of effort to make it to a voting booth, it means you care enough about the election to vote.

This "civic duty to vote" crap is just nonsense. If you don't care about politics and don't follow it, that's fine. I certainly wouldn't blame anybody. But in that case, it is your civic duty to not vote.

Everybody is better off if there is an effort tax on voting.

To turn the question over to you, do you think it would be better or worse for the country if we did all elections by Twitter poll? Whoever makes the dankest meme 45 minutes before the election wins.

Dems are worried voters will forget about Covid by November. Pubs are worried voters will forget about the riots. Two of the most major events of the last 10 years. Put voter turnout at over 80% and watch as our government turns into Idiocracy almost instantly.
I avoid Twitter as much as I can. And that isn't what I've ever advocated at all. I dare say most of you giving me grief about this would be fine with my 2020 voting solution if I wore a Red Hat.

It's like no child left behind. Dumb people thought if they raised graduation rates, kids would magically start meeting the minimum requirements. No... You just lowered the minimum requirements.

Same thing with voting. Higher voter turnout just means the average voter is less informed, and politics becomes even more about slogans and one liners than actual policy.

Sorry. Should have specified. Have you gone thru a background check to actively use/express a right?

Look at any country that doesnt have protected voting like we do. Those people go thru a lot to vote. They are willing to wait. If you actually believed in the people you were voting for, you would wait a pretty long time. The only reason it's an issue now is we have crap candidates so people feel they are wasting their time, and we have become so jaded with instagratification that any wait is considered a hindrance. Which it never was before.

And this issue of waiting has only become a problem with the election in question.
It was a huge problem in 2018 in GA.

No, I’m not looking for one. You don’t care about the trends, which is the actual problem.
So one is the start of a "trend" that you can't find to support your "trend"?

If it is abuse and so prevalent, one would think that one could find just one example of "capricious and arbitrary."

Reactions: AM64 and NCFisher
Its democracy in action. If you place value on pure numbers you see what is happening, even in the same district. Resources shift to the bigger demand because that's where more people are.

Now I have no idea if the resources actually do get shifted around where each district ends up with the same total number of machines or not. That would be something to track vs pure number of individual locations.

Again anecdotally here in Atlanta I know one of the places shut down had five machines total. Is that really voter suppression? Especially if those five end up somewhere else.

I dont know how you ensure total equity of voting locations. At some point it's impossible to predict where people will turn out locally. I think leaving it to the invidivual district is as good as anything. Set some basic guidelines, as far as min or max number of machines, make sure the district has X number of machines. It needs to be based on pure math,and I dont know how they currently determine those things.

The issue with pure math is the real world never quiet works out that way. Again anecdotally I know in 2018 here in Atlanta a lot of the voter "suppression" was due to voting stations not being able to test the machines before hand because the Dems were terrified the Rs/russians would tamper with the machines. So a lot of them didnt work, which lead to longer lines. Personally I dont see that as suppression. It was dumb and then passed off as partisan attacks to cover up the dumb mistakes. In this case the rural branches had the same machines and had much fewer breakdowns because they tested them before.

If you go with pure math you at least can argue its objective, for the most part. As soon as you start trying to intuitively adjust before hand you have issues. Which could be partisan or also could not.

My issue is it’s not objective to reduce overall polling locations in massive numbers when we have an ever swelling population. No matter how you slice it, it’s less opportunity to vote.

I avoid Twitter as much as I can. And that isn't what I've ever advocated at all. I dare say most of you giving me grief about this would be fine with my 2020 voting solution if I wore a Red Hat.
I'm just giving you the extreme end of removing restriction to voting.

If we agree on that, then you agree that some level of impedence should be placed on the ability of people to vote. I just happen to think having to leave your house for 15 minutes to find a booth and vote is a pretty damn low level of inconvenience if you actually care at all about the election.

Reactions: AM64
The analogy isn’t voting=pain
The analogy is it’s not up to you to decide what other people are experiencing... but you knew that

WTF are you talking about? You act like standing in line for a few hours is going to hurt someone, be a traumatic experience or life threatening. If voting is important to you get your azz up, go to the polls and vote.

You sound like a kid that wants a cookie but is too lazy to get off the couch and get one.

I missed your solution to a non existent problem.

Reactions: AM64
So one is the start of a "trend" that you can't find to support your "trend"?

If it is abuse and so prevalent, one would think that one could find just one example of "capricious and arbitrary."

You already acknowledged the SCOTUS decision removing DOJ oversight, so you already know that, now, there doesn’t have to be a justification, so why do you require proof of justification when no justification is required?

The numbers of polling site closure trends are clear and have been well researched. That constitutes a trend.

WTF are you talking about? You act like standing in line for a few hours is going to hurt someone, be a traumatic experience or life threatening. If voting is important to you get your azz up, go to the polls and vote.

You sound like a kid that wants a cookie but is too lazy to get off the couch and get one.

You don’t understand. That’s ok.

Reducing polling sites is a county/city decision, feds and state governments rarely have any say in it. So you might want to talk to the dem leaders of those municipalities and ask them why they reduced polling places.
This is ridiculous. The Secretary of State does have a say. Brian Kemp has been cited in this thread as someone who aggressively worked to close polling places. The vast majority of the polling closures that we are seeing are in predominantly black districts in southern states... and that is being done at the direction of Republicans.

This is ridiculous. The Secretary of State does have a say. Brian Kemp has been cited in this thread as someone who aggressively worked to close polling places. The vast majority of the polling closures that we are seeing are in predominantly black districts in southern states... and that is being done at the direction of Republicans.

You should read the links OH posted.

"Why should it be easy?"

"Because it should be easy"

Great. You should work for Merriam Webster.

It’s a principle like why shouldn’t you kill or why shouldn’t you steal.
The important question is why do you think voting should be anything less than as accessible as possible?

VN Store

Back