2020 Presidential Race

Mobs can be wrong.

Actually I just think it's a sign of the times, people don't want to take the effort to do much of anything for themselves. Responsibility has been replaced by pissing and moaning.

Again, it’s not up to you to decide.

I offer this analogy from my profession:

If you’re in the hospital after a surgery and I ask you about your pain level on a scale of 0-10, you tell me you’re at a 9. I look at you and see no grimacing, you aren’t writhing in pain and I decide you’re not really in that much pain so I hold off on your medications. You spend the next day in misery because I decided for you that I don’t believe you’re in as much pain as you report. Do you think that’s ok? Of course it’s not, because it’s not up to me to determine your level of pain, I listen to what you report to me and respond appropriately.

My understanding here in Georgia is that the state branch sets resources and it's up to the individual districts to work with those resources. There has pretty much never been enough resources which is why most staff are volunteers. Here locally they shuttered some places that had smaller crowds so that the same resources could go to the places with longer wait times. The idea being it's more efficient overall.

So while it may hurt the numbers in one locality overall the district should see increased efficiency. Number of votes is never constant so it's hard to use that as a metric.

My coworker back in 2018 said that was the first time he tried to volunteer and they said no. And he was under the impression that that meant the efficiencies were working.

It just seems like something that is vulnerable to massive corruption. Without having to justify where polling places are, where they aren’t and why... who can ensure the incentives and methodologies are pure?

Again, it’s not up to you to decide.

I offer this analogy from my profession:

If you’re in the hospital after a surgery and I ask you about your pain level on a scale of 0-10, you tell me you’re at a 9. I look at you and see no grimacing, you aren’t writhing in pain and I decide you’re not really in that much pain so I hold off on your medications. You spend the next day in misery because I decided for you that I don’t believe you’re in as much pain as you report. Do you think that’s ok? Of course it’s not, because it’s not up to me to determine your level of pain, I listen to what you report to me and respond appropriately.

That is a Luther level dumb analogy.

How long would/have you waited at the DMV? For a table at your favorite restaurant? For a soda at a ball game? If the answer is 1 hour for any then quit your bitching about waiting to vote, it's the most important right you have.

How long would/have you waited at the DMV? For a table at your favorite restaurant? For a soda at a ball game? If the answer is 1 hour for any then quit your bitching about waiting to vote, it's the most important right you have.

Lol want to elaborate on why it’s dumb? Is it just because you don’t like it?

So have you provided an example of one, just one, that you found most problematic?

Kentucky: Judge rules against . . .

All voters were allowed to cast ballots by mail ahead of Kentucky’s primary elections, which will take place on June 23.

In a ruling issued Thursday, U.S. District Court Judge Charles Simpson said there was no evidence that only having one polling location in the affected counties would result in voter suppression.

“Comprehensive plans were put in place which included making absentee ballots available for all voters, providing early in-person voting options for 15 days leading up to Election Day, and establishing a polling place for Election Day in-person voting,” Simpson wrote.

Randolph county lawsuit:

One major reason these polls are being proposed to close is due to the fact that they aren't handicapped-accessible.

Kentucky lawmaker sues:

This is the same one that the Judge ruled against. See above.

Last edited:
So have you provided an example of one, just one, that you found most problematic?

I mean, almost every source I’ve provided gives specific examples, take your pick. I’m more worried about the macro scale of closures than what one town is doing.

Looks like a yellow or loblolly pine in his pic. Either way, really shallow root systems with little spread. Not good for wind or high water tables from flooding.
We lost pines, oaks, chestnut...the only ones that did okay were the magnolias...20 inches of rain and 100 mile an hour winds they never had a chance...thankfully none hit the house...no power no water no gas down here...we drove to MS for food and fuel yesterday...our main roads still have power lines across them

Reactions: AM64
I mean, almost every source I’ve provided gives specific examples, take your pick. I’m more worried about the macro scale of closures than what one town is doing.
No, I'm asking you to take your pick and provide facts that make it an arbitrary decision to do so.

Why is this becoming so difficult?

About that Randolph county lawsuit, it appears moot.
Georgia County Rejects Plan to Close 7 Polling Places in Majority-Black Area

Mike Malone, an independent election consultant who recommended the polling-place closings, had been hired by the county earlier this year to help it with voting logistics after the county elections superintendent resigned.

In community meetings last week, Mr. Malone said that the seven polling places were not heavily used — just 12 people voted at one of them in a recent election — and that some did not comply with the Americans With Disabilities Act.

Reactions: AM64 and NCFisher

Or waiting to piss at halftime of a ball game.

About that Randolph county lawsuit, it appears moot.
Georgia County Rejects Plan to Close 7 Polling Places in Majority-Black Area

Mike Malone, an independent election consultant who recommended the polling-place closings, had been hired by the county earlier this year to help it with voting logistics after the county elections superintendent resigned.

In community meetings last week, Mr. Malone said that the seven polling places were not heavily used — just 12 people voted at one of them in a recent election — and that some did not comply with the Americans With Disabilities Act.
It’s almost like... you’re pointing out to Ohio kid that his links don’t support his argument. I’m shocked to see that ! 😂

Reactions: AM64 and NCFisher
Decent question being asked by folks. Why do some on here want to make it harder to vote? Lets drop the whataboutism and nonsense. I mean, why do you want to make it harder for people to vote?
Because if you are willing to put in a minimal amount of effort to make it to a voting booth, it means you care enough about the election to vote.

This "civic duty to vote" crap is just nonsense. If you don't care about politics and don't follow it, that's fine. I certainly wouldn't blame anybody. But in that case, it is your civic duty to not vote.

Everybody is better off if there is an effort tax on voting.

To turn the question over to you, do you think it would be better or worse for the country if we did all elections by Twitter poll? Whoever makes the dankest meme 45 minutes before the election wins.

Dems are worried voters will forget about Covid by November. Pubs are worried voters will forget about the riots. Two of the most major events of the last 10 years. Put voter turnout at over 80% and watch as our government turns into Idiocracy almost instantly.

No, I'm asking you to take your pick and provide facts that make it an arbitrary decision to do so.

Why is this becoming so difficult?

I’ve provided plenty of facts about my concern, but that’s not what you want to engage on. I’m not digging around to satisfy your concern. If you think there are a bunch of justified closings, then you can provide your own material.

I'm not sure what amazes me more: that the GOP nominated Donald Trump in 2016 or that Democrats nominated the nursing home version of Joe Biden in 2020.
They could have literally picked any up and coming moderate in the party and thrown their support behind them and probably won walking away. Instead they pick a handful of decades old warmed over dog **** candidates mixed with a few radical ideologists and turn it into a nail biter.

How much have you heard about Jorgensen or is it still Stein for the Green Party this time around? I’d guess Jorgensen would make both main party candidates look like idiots so neither party will back letting her anywhere near a debate stage.

Reactions: hog88
It just seems like something that is vulnerable to massive corruption. Without having to justify where polling places are, where they aren’t and why... who can ensure the incentives and methodologies are pure?
Its democracy in action. If you place value on pure numbers you see what is happening, even in the same district. Resources shift to the bigger demand because that's where more people are.

Now I have no idea if the resources actually do get shifted around where each district ends up with the same total number of machines or not. That would be something to track vs pure number of individual locations.

Again anecdotally here in Atlanta I know one of the places shut down had five machines total. Is that really voter suppression? Especially if those five end up somewhere else.

I dont know how you ensure total equity of voting locations. At some point it's impossible to predict where people will turn out locally. I think leaving it to the invidivual district is as good as anything. Set some basic guidelines, as far as min or max number of machines, make sure the district has X number of machines. It needs to be based on pure math,and I dont know how they currently determine those things.

The issue with pure math is the real world never quiet works out that way. Again anecdotally I know in 2018 here in Atlanta a lot of the voter "suppression" was due to voting stations not being able to test the machines before hand because the Dems were terrified the Rs/russians would tamper with the machines. So a lot of them didnt work, which lead to longer lines. Personally I dont see that as suppression. It was dumb and then passed off as partisan attacks to cover up the dumb mistakes. In this case the rural branches had the same machines and had much fewer breakdowns because they tested them before.

If you go with pure math you at least can argue its objective, for the most part. As soon as you start trying to intuitively adjust before hand you have issues. Which could be partisan or also could not.

VN Store

Back