2020 offensive linemen

I'm sure I'm about to ask an ignorant question:
Does Cade Mays help our overall class recruiting ranking?

Whooooaaaaaa! Pump the brakes here, folks.

Here's the reality of last season with 4 out of the 5 guys listed:

113. TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS
Highest-graded player: OG Trey Smith – 77.7 (14th)

Without Smith, the Volunteers' overall grades plummet and look just downright awful on the offensive line. Collectively, they ranked 124th in pass-blocking grade and 76th in run-blocking grade, all but undoing a great season by Smith, who finished as the 14th highest-graded guard in the country.

Maybe if actually had a decent OL coach...

Couple of things:

1) Tennessee's OL got better as the season went on. So I suspect if you only judged them based on the 2nd half, it would look much better.
2) Tennessee started 2 true freshmen at OT. You can expect both of them to be much better in 2020.
3) This ranking doesn't include Cade Mays...IF he is eligible, he is immediately an upgrade over whoever else would be the Guard.

Reactions: Ty4Vols
If your name is Zachary Evan's and you dont want to run behind this line. You gots some big issues!!!!
What ever teams are still interested will have to do a thorough investigation into his issues the last few months. If he is going to be a prima donna we do not need him.

Lots of good news for the O Line the last 2 days. I read a lot about our projected starting line and back ups for 2020. A name that keeps being overlooked is Jackson Lampley. He'll be RS Freshman in 2020. A 4* OG from MBA was ranked #8 overall in the state, #14 at his position nationally and was the #232 overall player in the nation for the 2019 class. 6'4" 318 lbs as a freshman this year and saw limited action while redshirting.
I don't say overlooked as a synonym for disrespected. It's a great sign for Tennessee football when such a high profile high ceiling young man can come in and get time to develop. Just my opinion but I feel he will be a great OG in 2021 for the Vols and who better than to learn from than Trey Smith. Obviously we have more guys able to grow and not have to be plugged in immediately but this is just a name I don't read too often about.
As for 2020 getting a 6th year for Kennedy was the cake. Adding Mays is the icing. Trey coming back is like getting 2 more cakes with icing and cherries on top.

Go Vols

Sure, hate all you want that’s fine. I guess you don’t realize how ridiculous it is to say we’re bottom feeding at the position still.

We are going to be legit up front next year for the first time in forever. We are not going to be elite. Hope that clarifies.

Sure, hate all you want that’s fine. I guess you don’t realize how ridiculous it is to say we’re bottom feeding at the position still.
Take this for sobriety:

Ranking all 130 college football offensive line situations | College Football and NFL Draft | PFF

113. TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS
Highest-graded player: OG Trey Smith – 77.7 (14th)
Without Smith, the Volunteers' overall grades plummet and look just downright awful on the offensive line. Collectively, they ranked 124th in pass-blocking grade and 76th in run-blocking grade, all but undoing a great season by Smith, who finished as the 14th highest-graded guard in the country.

We are going to be legit up front next year for the first time in forever. We are not going to be elite. Hope that clarifies.

If Mays Is cleared I’m not sure how Tennessee isn’t in the discussion as a top position group. Trey returning makes things legit already. Anytime a program has freshman tackles that hold their own is in good hands. They’re only going to get better and Kennedy returning is being seriously undervalued

That looks like a 1990s line. I hope you have a hankering for Pancakes Nation.
You also wonder w/ all the positive vibes, if some of the RB's not signed yet gotta be looking at this HUGE opportunity. Got a feeling we're gonna have a few more NICE surprises around final commit date.

Wanya Morris ★★★★★ (5-star)

Trey Smith ★★★★★ (5-star)

Brandon Kennedy ★★★★ (4-star)

Cade Mays ★★★★★ (5-star)

Darnell Wright ★★★★★ (5-star)

(assuming Mays gets a waiver)

If Mays or Smith pull the D on one side has three 5*s running downhill at them.

VN Store

Back