2020 NBA Season Thread (brought to you by Jerry’s need for attention)

Obscure?

How about this stat...Jazz are 15-5 without Conley because Gobert is murdering. He's averaging 17 and 15 for December and January. The Jazz are 8th in defensive rating and it's not like Ingles, Bojan, and Mitchell are great defenders (Ingles is still above average, tho). There are a bunch of different ways to look at Gobert and get him on 1st team because any way you slice it, he's having a phenomenal season.

He’s a very good player, I’m not saying that.

However, I’d bet a large some of money he won’t sniff 1st team

He’s a very good player, I’m not saying that.

However, I’d bet a large some of money he won’t sniff 1st team

I don't disagree. They don't even have to have a center and the voters almost always go for the guy who has 25 ppg if they can, regardless of anything else. I'm not trying to predict who will win the 5th spot, I'm picking the best center so far.

Reactions: TBrown
How large of some are we talking?!
tenor.gif

Reactions: n_huffhines
Updated for the halfway mark:

1st team
Luka
Harden
Lebron
Giannis
Gobert

On Gobert, only one other person has done 15, 14, and 68% (Wilt once), and nobody else has even done 15, 14, and 60%.

Honorable Mention = AD, Jimmy Butler, Lillard, KAT

MVP = Luka
DPOY = Gobert
ROY = Ja
6MOY = Harrell
Most Improved = Vanvleet/Luka/Bam
COY = Spo

Devonte' Graham has to at least make the list for Most Improved.

Reactions: BadJerry20
Ehh...he has improved a lot, but I'd like to give the award to an above average player. He sucks at D and scores pretty inefficiently, but the passing is very nice.

He's improved more than FVV has. FVV is the same guy he's always been + minutes and shots, actually his passing is a lot worse. 3.74 A/TO lasy year, 2.81 this year. He already has as many TOs this year as last with 80 less assists.

Graham had increased his 3% from 28.1 to 38.6, his TS% from 46% to 54%. He went from a guy battling Bacon and Monk for PT last year. From backup guard behind Bacon to start the year, to starting at the 2, to pushing Rozier to the 2. He's not a top PG but his improvement has been pretty big.

Reactions: The Sheriff
He's improved more than FVV has. FVV is the same guy he's always been + minutes and shots, actually his passing is a lot worse. 3.74 A/TO lasy year, 2.81 this year. He already has as many TOs this year as last with 80 less assists.

Graham had increased his 3% from 28.1 to 38.6, his TS% from 46% to 54%. He went from a guy battling Bacon and Monk for PT last year. From backup guard behind Bacon to start the year, to starting at the 2, to pushing Rozier to the 2. He's not a top PG but his improvement has been pretty big.

I conceded that his improvement is impressive but I'm not awarding somebody for going from ****** to decent.

You are probably right that FVV doesn't deserve to be in the mix. His shooting efficiency dropped since I last looked.

I conceded that his improvement is impressive but I'm not awarding somebody for going from ****** to decent.

You are probably right that FVV doesn't deserve to be in the mix. His shooting efficiency dropped since I last looked.

You are really goofy sometimes.

“All these other idiots who don’t play basketball and never played basketball, when they say you wanna judge a guy’s greatness by number of championships … they’re idiots." - Horry

Russillo and Simmons were talking about why NBA ratings are down and they made some good points:

Lebron went from a small market that nobody otherwise wants to watch to a market that already had a big viewership.

Pels have had so many national games with no Zion.

Warriors have had so many national games with no anybody.

Rockets have had so many national games and nobody wants to watch them at full strength.

Lots of bad luck in there, and then a bad decision by the NBA to feature Houston so much. They gotta set up a system where they can flex national games. I'm not even watching the Warriors if it's a Jazz game, that's how atrocious they are. Jazz/Rockets is the only time I'll watch Houston.

lmao. Don't tell me you want to start with this Jazz talking point. Screen assists are system dependent mostly. Its a dumb stat only Jazz fans care about.

Yeah, the Jazz are the only team that runs a lot of screens.

Jazz are 21st in pace, so Gobert is leading the league in screen assists despite being in a slow system.

It takes a lot of effort for a guy his size to get that many screen assists, score 15 ppg, and anchor a good defense. Give the man some credit.

Yeah, the Jazz are the only team that runs a lot of screens.

Jazz are 21st in pace, so Gobert is leading the league in screen assists despite being in a slow system.

It takes a lot of effort for a guy his size to get that many screen assists, score 15 ppg, and anchor a good defense. Give the man some credit.
He is screen assist stat padding. There are a few good threads on Twitter about screen assists.

It's a dumb advanced stat that no one counts. The Jazz reporter even tried to give Gobert credit for a triple double. Lmao

He is screen assist stat padding. There are a few good threads on Twitter about screen assists.

It's a dumb advanced stat that no one counts. The Jazz reporter even tried to give Gobert credit for a triple double. Lmao

He's padding a stat that nobody pays attention to and his teammates get the glory. He deserves no credit! Not even a mention.

So how does one go about padding that then. And how would you know he's padding that stat if it deserves zero mention or attention.

There are too many problems with his position to mention. Pretty much everybody who ever put up big stats was in a system that fostered their success. I'm sure he looks at Kobe's 35 PPG season, takes note of the 27 FGA's and 10 FTA's, and "system" and "stat padding" are the first things that cross his mind.

Now you get it. Screen assists literally deserve zero mentions or attention.

Do screen assists have value in basketball? Of course, they do. So why is the stat meaningless? You haven't reasoned through this.

Either he's setting twice as many screens as the majority of bigs, or he's twice as effective, or some of both. Any way you slice it, it's impressive. Being that big with that kind of motor is impressive. I haven't even mentioned how few turnovers he gets (which he should be racking up if he's setting twice as many screens).

Last edited:
I'm just have a little fun with the Jazz fan. They are literally the only ones trying to make screen assists a thing.

Gobert is a good player. I just don't think pulling obscure stats makes him look good. Its the opposite. NBA twittter is laughing at the whole screen assists thing.

VN Store

Back