2020 Lady Vols Softball

No, Karen has been pitching coach for the last three years. Marty works with the hitters and is the primary recruiter

She didn’t work out, but Gabby was the number one pitching recruit in the nation, so you can’t say that the top pitching recruits have stayed away from Tennessee, far from it. Bria Bush was the top pitcher in Matty Moss’ class and she didn’t even make it through the first year after Matty beat her out.

A pitching coach who never pitched in college. That makes sense.

No, Karen has been pitching coach for the last three years. Marty works with the hitters and is the primary recruiter

She didn’t work out, but Gabby was the number one pitching recruit in the nation, so you can’t say that the top pitching recruits have stayed away from Tennessee, far from it. Bria Bush was the top pitcher in Matty Moss’ class and she didn’t even make it through the first year after Matty beat her out.

Wrong Rachel Garcia was!

Wrong on that Rachel Garcia was top pitching prospect in the 15 class! Bush was never a top recruit.

Milloy's team, Redmond High School, won the 3A state championship game 9-5. A couple weeks earlier Redmond lost the first game of their district tournament 6-5 and had to come out of the loser's bracket. They won the next 3 games 21-13, 4-2 and 8-7. Milloy pitched all 4 games. Yikes! That's a lot of runs to give up in high school.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Here is a recently uploaded video of Turner pitching to give you an idea of what she looks like. You can't see her body on the first couple of pitches but then the camera man wakes up and you can see her the rest of the vid

Based on this video, she appears to be a leaper -- her back foot comes up briefly when she explodes off the rubber. Hope the staff can fix that.

Wrong on that Rachel Garcia was top pitching prospect in the 15 class! Bush was never a top recruit.

She was a top recruit at the time she committed to UT, and the best prospect in the class at the time.

Again, I stress "at the time", given your lack of reading comprehension skills on here and UCS.

Reactions: ValleyAlVol
She was a top recruit at the time she committed to UT, and the best prospect in the class at the time.

Again, I stress "at the time", given your lack of reading comprehension skills on here and UCS.

My whole point was they haven’t got top pitching prospects lately and if they do they leave or they fail to make them better.

As I said it's all on the pitching coach and why UT pitchers have NOT been progressing and why the hitters are not getting better

Reactions: skclark
Get tired of the ‘home game’ argument of Okla in the WCWS. It’s utter bs

Might as well get over it. That contract is locked through 2035.

Love this girls curve and back door curve. She’s got in on all the plains and at different speeds. Nasty pitches.

Please explain how it is not a benefit to them?

Explain how it is. If you are going to say that it’s a home crowd, I’ll concede that that could make it like a home game. Otherwise, there is no advantage. Of the few times I’ve been able to attend the WCWS, the usual home crowd noise one would most find at say, a BB game is non existent. Neutral site venues don’t help a team psychologically. If it were truly a home game, I would have expected more championships than what they have. I just find the argument it’s a home game for them as sour grapes.

Explain how it is. If you are going to say that it’s a home crowd, I’ll concede that that could make it like a home game. Otherwise, there is no advantage. Of the few times I’ve been able to attend the WCWS, the usual home crowd noise one would most find at say, a BB game is non existent. Neutral site venues don’t help a team psychologically. If it were truly a home game, I would have expected more championships than what they have. I just find the argument it’s a home game for them as sour grapes.
Ok first it is 21 minutes from campus. Gasso is ruthless in a good way I would be shocked if she doesn't use it as a recruiting tool. I have never been there in person but on TV there is no doubt who the majority of fans are. In times past with all the weather delays that have happened they were able not to have to hang around and just go use their own facilities which they do every night. Come Monday when more than likely Oklahoma and Ucla match up see the crowd makeup. Would it be a totally neutral site if the Wcws was played at Smokies Stadium with the Lady Vols in it? Yeah it is sour grapes but there is a reason those grapes are a little more sour than normal ones. If Oklahoma wins this year (Ucla is pretty tough) that will be 3 out of four years. I take nothing away from them because I sure wished we played with their aggression and a lot of that is Gasso.

Oklahoma City is under 20 miles from Norman, which means that the players for OU, unlike all the other teams in the WCWS, aren’t having to get on a plane and travel to the tournament. Every other team was already, I’m sure, pretty worn out by all the travel leading up to this point, and are, once again, living out of a suitcase and sleeping in hotel beds.

The OU players, on the other hand, are close enough that they could sleep in their own beds if they wanted to. Even if they aren’t, they are still very likely getting more, and better, rest, having not had to do any exhausting long-distance traveling. Plus they get to enjoy the comfort of familiar surroundings, foods, routines and, yes, the throngs of OU fans that don’t have to drive any further to go watch the Sooners, again, in OKC than they do to go to the grocery store.

There are definite advantages for OU just basically going across town to fields they are obviously WAY more familiar with. You are deluding yourself if you truly believe there aren’t.

Last edited:
No travel, Use of home facilities for game planning, sleep in own bad, home crowd, more comfort in a familiar setting. They definitely have an advantage over teams that have to travel there and stay at a hotel and plan all their activities from that setting.

The 2 games that she actually pitched well she was showing the Weeklys what they were going to miss I guess and other programs what they could get. For all we know she could have been a cancer on the team all year and never really game effort all the time. Or could be just the opposite. Last year Scarlett quit right before or during the regionals and word was Karen rode her like a government mule. None of us nobodys know anything and anybody that does identify yourself and speak up or all this speculation is with a grain of salt!! We have had quitters before and will have more, some quit before the offseason.JMHO as always!
You know that sometimes old people and old coaches are hard for some younger people to get along with. I wish her the best. I think she had plenty of opportunity this season she failed more than she succeeded. I think she might not like her development as a pitcher she has went backwards since her freshman season and you could say that about Moss as well. Look at early Moss stats compared to the last couple of seasons far worse.

Oklahoma City is under 20 miles from Norman, which means that the players for OU, unlike all the other teams in the WCWS, aren’t having to get on a plane and travel to the tournament. Every other team was already, I’m sure, pretty worn out by all the travel leading up to this point, and are, once again, living out of a suitcase and sleeping in hotel beds.

The OU players, on the other hand, are close enough that they could sleep in their own beds if they wanted to. Even if they aren’t, they are still very likely getting more, and better, rest, having not had to do any exhausting long-distance traveling. Plus they get to enjoy the comfort of familiar surroundings, foods, routines and, yes, the throngs of OU fans that don’t have to drive any further to go watch the Sooners, again, in OKC than they do to go to the grocery store.

There are definite advantages for OU just basically going across town to fields they are obviously WAY more familiar with. You are deluding yourself if you truly believe there aren’t.

That is all well and good, but where else in the country has a 15,000 seat softball stadium to hold the event in? Hoover, Alabama submitted a bid last time it came up, but would’ve played in a converted baseball stadium that holds the SEC Baseball Tourney the week before. And then everyone would’ve argued that it was a huge home advantage for Alabama.

There’s no perfect location as far as not giving someone an advantage, so leave it in the community that has supported college softball like no other in the finest facility for softball anywhere.

That is all well and good, but where else in the country has a 15,000 seat softball stadium to hold the event in? Hoover, Alabama submitted a bid last time it came up, but would’ve played in a converted baseball stadium that holds the SEC Baseball Tourney the week before. And then everyone would’ve argued that it was a huge home advantage for Alabama.

There’s no perfect location as far as not giving someone an advantage, so leave it in the community that has supported college softball like no other in the finest facility for softball anywhere.
I too am not suggesting they move the WCWS out of Oklahoma City but I do reserve the right to be irritated by it now and then. :) The announced record attendance last night was around 9900 so the stadium must be around 10,000 at the present. It appears that another 4000 seats are to be added next year.

Get tired of the ‘home game’ argument of Okla in the WCWS. It’s utter bs

Wrong, it is not. They essentially get to play home games all thru the tournament. They can also sleep in their own beds, don't have to adjust to a different time zone, have more fans. On the other hand it is tornado alley and there is really no other place to play it. But to says it's not an advantage show a lack of understanding of the game.

I too am not suggesting they move the WCWS out of Oklahoma City but I do reserve the right to be irritated by it now and then. :) The announced record attendance last night was around 9900 so the stadium must be around 10,000 at the present. It appears that another 4000 seats are to be added next year.

The expansion that will be completed next year, plus a reconfiguration of the outfield bleachers will put capacity at 15,000, which was the "magic number" the NCAA was looking for in awarding the bid.

Reactions: kregman
A pitching coach who never pitched in college. That makes sense.

You are showing your ignorance here. Many of the best PC's around never have thrown a pitch in a game.

Let's take it to another sport....tell me how many games Bill Belichick has played. Likewise, just because you could do it doesn't mean you can teach it.

VN Store

Back