2020 Lady Vols Softball

Was that the case with Sprang as well? Instead of developing her they ran her off as well. You can’t pull scholarships these days based on performance!

Gabby had no off the field issues. But I wouldn’t say she’s been developed where she is now either.

Or you have a rising senior that expected to be the ace of the staff this year and didn’t like that she was beaten out by a freshman for that role.
Maybe when AR said in a interview that CA had taken her under her wing and kept her from being so nervous was a ploy or something.

Was that the case with Sprang as well? Instead of developing her they ran her off as well. You can’t pull scholarships these days based on performance!

No she couldn't find the strike zone and was a liability on the mound. Looks as tho she got no better this year but she is at the WCWS

With Arnold transferring either UT finds another Pitcher somewhere, allow a two-player to pitch or stays at 2 and misses the WCWS again due to overworked pitching

Or you have a rising senior that expected to be the ace of the staff this year and didn’t like that she was beaten out by a freshman for that role.

Not at the end of the year. Arnold was the superior pitcher when it counted. lets be honest the top pitching prospects have stayed clear of Tennessee in recent years because of how the Weekly’s handle the pitching staff.

So your saying she is a selfish player because she didn't deserve to be the ace she was not getting the job done. Where do you go for one season and of course what if they have a pitcher better. I guess she is looking for a school with bad pitching.

So your saying she is a selfish player because she didn't deserve to be the ace she was not getting the job done. Where do you go for one season and of course what if they have a pitcher better. I guess she is looking for a school with bad pitching.
The 2 games that she actually pitched well she was showing the Weeklys what they were going to miss I guess and other programs what they could get. For all we know she could have been a cancer on the team all year and never really game effort all the time. Or could be just the opposite. Last year Scarlett quit right before or during the regionals and word was Karen rode her like a government mule. None of us nobodys know anything and anybody that does identify yourself and speak up or all this speculation is with a grain of salt!! We have had quitters before and will have more, some quit before the offseason.JMHO as always!

Reactions: Volfan2012
Monica never quit. jus sayin.
Yep Gule Monica was and Is never a quitter but kids now days are so much used to instant gratification and grew up in the everyone gets a trophy era. LOL!! I glad I no longer coach because I would never get a team with that criteria.

Reactions: OrangenSC
So you would agree with me that when the other poster said "he absolutely to UT detriment refuse to have 2 way players", that's not really accurate? Whether players were recruited as pitchers or position players we have had players that ended up being 2 way players to some extent.

Yes I would tend to agree that he doesn’t refuse to have two-way players. It just seems to me that in softball and baseball pitchers tend to concentrate on pitching versus playing multiple roles. And there’s nothing wrong with that. In high school they hit because they usually have to (lol) but that’s not the case in college with the exception of a few players. Of course many of the last few national players of the year have been hitting pitchers such as Rachel Garcia and Lauren Hager.

Marty’s the pitching coach Karen calls the pitches and Ralph makes the pitching changes! Who’s to blame?

No, Karen has been pitching coach for the last three years. Marty works with the hitters and is the primary recruiter

She didn’t work out, but Gabby was the number one pitching recruit in the nation, so you can’t say that the top pitching recruits have stayed away from Tennessee, far from it. Bria Bush was the top pitcher in Matty Moss’ class and she didn’t even make it through the first year after Matty beat her out.

No, Karen has been pitching coach for the last three years. Marty works with the hitters and is the primary recruiter

She didn’t work out, but Gabby was the number one pitching recruit in the nation, so you can’t say that the top pitching recruits have stayed away from Tennessee, far from it. Bria Bush was the top pitcher in Matty Moss’ class and she didn’t even make it through the first year after Matty beat her out.
If I am correct Gabriel was the number 1 pitcher in all the land as well.

Reactions: OrangenSC
Bria Bush was ranked in the 60s later in her career. She was the #1 pitcher in the country when she committed to UT, though. But that was as a freshman, I think.

Logan Caymol was also one of the top pitchers in the class when she committed, but she wound up decommitting and signing with Clemson, and she wasn't the same pitcher after her family accident and had gone the way of Bush in terms of regressing over her high school career and was knocked around pretty good her last year at Buford. Couldn't blame her for going to a brand new softball program, though. It will hopefully be the fresh start she deserves.

Honestly pitchers that commit to UT very early in HS tend to not work out. Sprang, Caymol, Bush. I think Cat Hosfield committed as either a freshman or sophomore.

Callie Turner's ranking and accolades are impressive but FWIW, her HS numbers went in the wrong direction this season. Especially concerning is that she walked batters 3x more frequently than her junior year, leading to a dramatic OBP increase. Her sophomore season was easily her best.

1559349086828.png
1559349160247.png

Here is a recently uploaded video of Turner pitching to give you an idea of what she looks like. You can't see her body on the first couple of pitches but then the camera man wakes up and you can see her the rest of the vid

VN Store

Back