2020 Lady Vol Recruiting Thread

How come they are ranked number 10 in the state and 25-0 ? they are in Class A
They are number one in Class A and ranked number ten in all classes in the state. They play a few double AA teams don't remember them playing any triple A. I'm sure you know that the classes are determined by the size of the school how many students. Tennessee has three classes last I knew A, AA, AAA.

They are number one in Class A and ranked number ten in all classes in the state. They play a few double AA teams don't remember them playing any triple A. I'm sure you know that the classes are determined by the size of the school how many students. Tennessee has three classes last I knew A, AA, AAA.

I think it would be interesting if they did a promotion/relegation system like the English Football League. The top 3 teams in each classification move up a class the next year; the bottom 3 in each classification move down a class. It would make all the classes more competitive.

A question I have never had answered re the three point shot. How many are actually blocked (per game?) (for specific player?) and converse how many times (per game?, per specific player) are fouls called on the defender for fouling a three point shooter? Is the defensive hand in the face - designed to distract or block the shot. The axium don't foul a jumpshooter would seem to apply. My hypothesis is to encourage players to take the shot , if their feet are set - until it is blocked several times. And at the end of the year have an equation on the number of blocks - versus the number times fouled. And also have film on the success of shooting when contested.

I think it would be interesting if they did a promotion/relegation system like the English Football League. The top 3 teams in each classification move up a class the next year; the bottom 3 in each classification move down a class. It would make all the classes more competitive.
Sounds good in theory but not practical because the A schools don't have the consistent talent, it's very cyclical. So you move them up right as their best talent graduates and they play up a level with inferior talent. Even the best A programs, while they win big every year, it might be 5 years in-between for them to have the size, talent, depth to compete with the AAA schools. Clarkrange has maybe been the one exception to that rule but then again all their players are not homegrown so that explains some of that. So for instance you move Greenfield up next season because of how good they are this season and they graduate their studs and can't complete in AAA next season.

Would be tough for an A school who may for a period of four years have exceptional talent then it graduates and may not have the talent to follow up. When you have a total of 500 total students versus schools with 3000 it would really put you at a disadvantage most of the time.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Would be tough for an A school who may for a period of four years have exceptional talent then it graduates and may not have the talent to follow up. When you have a total of 500 total students versus schools with 3000 it would really put you at a disadvantage most of the time.

500 kids or 3000 kids, it is still up to the coaching they get

If it were about numbers, DUke at 15K couldn't compete with NC at 29K students

IMO, the best way to showcase these smaller schools when they have a talented lineup is to schedule some non-conference games against bigger schools and/or enter some prestigious tournaments.

Always about numbers if you have a pool of 25 players to choose from or 150 what do you think the likelihood is that your going to get the best team out of the larger amount of players. If your consistently building a team from a lower amount of applicants your going to end up with lesser talent to play or coach 9 of 10 times. Talent beats coaching when the talent is far superior everytime.

Duke competing with North Carolina has nothing to do with this they both have the same pool of players to recruit from and both are allowed the same number of scholarships on a team.

Last edited:
IMO, the best way to showcase these smaller schools when they have a talented lineup is to schedule some non-conference games against bigger schools and/or enter some prestigious tournaments.
That is definitely great to do and I think it happens a lot. Nothing wrong with scheduling some larger schools, but the smaller schools should never have to compete in a league on a year to year basis or for championships at the end of the season. Doing so would be unfair when you have so many more players to choose from because of the number of students in your school. That is the reason almost every state if not everyone has the different classes and three or four different champions based on school size.

Always about numbers if you have a pool of 25 players to choose from or 150 what do you think the likelihood is that your going to get the best team out of the larger amount of players. If your consistently building a team from a lower amount of applicants your going to end up with lesser talent to play or coach 9 of 10 times. Talent beats coaching when the talent is far superior everytime.

If a AAA has a pitiful record and is single a has an excellent record in an excellent coach parents usually figure this out and we'll go to coaching over a bad program. I've been in youth basketball for a long time. I believe I may have a better understanding of this. Don't know your background, You may be more Knowledgeable than I am. But I guarantee you. Parents of athletes that are destined to be elite look for elite coaching. Over visibility.

If a AAA has a pitiful record and is single a has an excellent record in an excellent coach parents usually figure this out and we'll go to coaching over a bad program. I've been in youth basketball for a long time. I believe I may have a better understanding of this. Don't know your background, You may be more Knowledgeable than I am. But I guarantee you. Parents of athletes that are destined to be elite look for elite coaching. Over visibility.
Not a point the entire point is competing for championships and competing in leagues. The reason Tennessee and all states have classifications is for fairness in competition no other reason. They determined and I agree that a school with 500 students should not compete with a school of 3000 in a league or for a state championship. The reasons are obvious. I'm not saying they should never play, of course they should, but not in the same district or league or for the title in state championship play.

Reactions: Bret178

That's looney tunes logic. If the players came from the student body it would make sense but since the players are recruited from everywhere, the pool size is the same for both schools. You might want to re-think that little tid-bit you threw out there.

I respect your opinions most of the time but this is just wrong. We play pretty good basketball down here but when we play better AAA schools, it has very little to do with coaching. We can match up with teams starting fives but the difference comes when you get down the bench. And when you have a pool of 50 kids trying out instead of 15, you have a deeper, better talent pool to pick from. And that means a lot when you get deep into games depending on the way they're called and pace of play.

That is pretty off-base. First the college example has no correlation. Those are recruited athletes. I have coached basketball at a high school with around 400 students in A ball for about 15 years. Lots of success over that time. Your point of coaching being important is true of course. But it gets you to a point where you eventually compete against other schools with much superior athletes, particularly size, and ALSO good coaching. Good coaching negates some of the gap in physical attributes but the difference in size, speed, quickness can get to a point where it can't be overcome by just being a good coach. I have watched some very well coached teams lose to some very poorly coached teams at the Murphy Center at the State Tournament ever year because they couldn't overcome the size and quickness advantage.

KK went to school of 727 , Norcross has over 3,500 kids Powers Ferry has over 2,000. Mill Creek has even more. This is just one example. But. If it'll keep me from arguing with the whole site, I'll agree you guys are right. Next subject, please.

Last edited:
PS... Not being facetious or argumentative Oh, just my experience. And Atlanta kids follow coaching. A lot more than some of the rural areas. Anyway, hopefully. You guys understand I see both sides.

You can't really compare colleges that recruit players base on student body, to high schools based on size and student body that is based on location. Private schools in TN, like KCHS and Webb, now play in a special division, for just such reason.

You can't really compare colleges that recruit players base on student body, to high schools based on size and student body that is based on location. Private schools in TN, like KCHS and Webb, now play in a special division, for just such reason.

And even better example. Girls go to Webb high school out of choice because of Shelly Collier the coach to coach Gloria Johnson. When they could go to other schools.

Reactions: Chitownvol1129
Some HSs are consistently at the top of their classifications. It can be for multiple reasons - superior coaching, "recruiting", demographics. The bottomline is that if based on the last few years performance Greenfield was playing in AA, it would not only be fairer for the other A teams, but the girls at Greenfield would be playing more competitive games.

Other HSs are consistently bad and should be able to move down a classification. Who knows, maybe not getting their doors blown off twice a week might encourage more guys and girls to come out for the team.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Back in the day before classifications and all schools in Tennessee once the state tourney began the small schools ( mine was 140) in high school. We went to the state tourney and played the game against the largest class of high school ( over 2000) In Chattanooga and got beat like a drum. Our best player signed with Ole Miss and played four years and no one on the Chattanooga team got a D1 scholly. The length of the bench and the starters as well were all very good.

Back in the day before classifications and all schools in Tennessee once the state tourney began the small schools ( mine was 140) in high school. We went to the state tourney and played the game against the largest class of high school ( over 2000) In Chattanooga and got beat like a drum. Our best player signed with Ole Miss and played four years and no one on the Chattanooga team got a D1 scholly. The length of the bench and the starters as well were all very good.

Shortstop : Careful , you are going to tell your age ?
I too made it to state men’s, and we found ourselves with a student enrollments of 456 !
Our draw was Oak Ridge with 2000 plus ! But when the game starts I don’t remember fans much else but the referees showing off instead of being fair ! After a few overtime’s we were headed home ....

I do go to the state tournaments every year (boys & girls ) . It’s amazing how the athletes have gotten better . Division I & II , single A , double AA, triple AAA , has made the games more competitive. All I can do now is wonder what if ? 🤔

But if Oak Ridge ever makes the tournament...and they do quite often !
They get as many booo’s as my voice will allow and a loud cheer for the other team no matter who they are ! 😈

PS : We had a pretty good team .... 7 players had college scholarships offered ( not all basketball) Just saying

Last edited:
Shortstop : Careful , you are going to tell your age ?
I too made it to state men’s, and we found ourselves with a student enrollments of 456 !
Our draw was Oak Ridge with 2000 plus ! But when the game starts I don’t remember fans much else but the referees showing off instead of being fair ! After a few overtime’s we were headed home ....

I do go to the state tournaments every year (boys & girls ) . It’s amazing how the athletes have gotten better . Division I & II , single A , double AA, triple AAA , has made the games more competitive. All I can do now is wonder what if ? 🤔

But if Oak Ridge ever makes the tournament...and they do quite often !
They get as many booo’s as my voice will allow and a loud cheer for the other team no matter who they are ! 😈

PS : We had a pretty good team .... 7 players had college scholarships offered ( not all basketball) Just saying
HA HA !!!! We caught Chattanooga Riverside! Not close to the athletes now days!

VN Store

Back