2020 Lady Vol Recruiting Thread

It's safe to say Holly never saw a 3 point shot she liked....It had to wear on our girls minds...

I do not know what it was but I could tell there was a mental aspect that previous lady vols teams seemed to have that caused them to play hesitantly. Just looking on so I do not know, but these players looked like they were in a cognitive dissonance triangle. That created doubt and doubt is the killer of confidence and the creator of "BRICKS" Go Lady Vols...

I do not know what it was but I could tell there was a mental aspect that previous lady vols teams seemed to have that caused them to play hesitantly. Just looking on so I do not know, but these players looked like they were in a cognitive dissonance triangle. That created doubt and doubt is the killer of confidence and the creator of "BRICKS" Go Lady Vols...
It was poor coaching. Hopefully we see players like Davis at their best with the coaching change.

It was poor coaching. Hopefully we see players like Davis at their best with the coaching change.

IMO it was several things causing players uncertainty..

In my own cognitive perceptions and conclusions ;o)
...It was a poor mix of coaches. There was not one coach in CHW's HC tenure, that would "get in a player's grill" when the player needed it. . . . And gettin in a grill isn't about yelling and theatrics...it can be as simple as standing beside that player and whispering "One more goof-off like that and you will be number 13 on a bench of 12"

CHW did get in one girls grill one time I can remember,,,and the look of a"isn't coach cute when she gets mad" on the face of the player was unmistakable.

And not only to get in their grill, but to say the right things that they needed to hear to perform their best.

They needed an Strong personality on their staff..Never did have a true one.

Got to have a Beta and an Alpha in your leadership.
A yin and a Yang.
Because, you will definitely have some of each variation in your group of players,,who need one of their own to follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: stllvf
Excellent information post Jumper - Anosike and Gordon were two former players availabile last year that I hoped would accomplish some of the confidence and motivation expectations that above boarders identified. Both exemplified the desired standard as players.

Question - Anosike was a graduate (assistant) is she still at the University or did she complete the desired graduate degree?

Excellent information post Jumper - Anosike and Gordon were two former players availabile last year that I hoped would accomplish some of the confidence and motivation expectations that above boarders identified. Both exemplified the desired standard as players.

Question - Anosike was a graduate (assistant) is she still at the University or did she complete the desired graduate degree?

Both conformed instead of "forming"...They let CHW lead them right to job loss.
Many of the same principals in coaching mirror business:
  • One vision equals success...Not, one focus!...each individual must focus their strengths, for the purpose of the vision.
  • You've got to have symmetry in leadership at the helm or a trickle down of the higher-tier's weaknesses will happen by/in the staff.
  • The employees must never see the exec/higher management argue or disagree. Like parents for children,,a division at the top equals an avenue from the bottom (Approaching one parent for one thing and the other parent for thing,,since you know which answer you will get from each.
Anosike and Gordon were Aplha's on the playing court, but Beta's on that bench. An Alpha would have taken a risk from their seat. An Alpha attacks weak leadership. Even at their own immediate risk (See Eveina Westbrook)...But they will take that risk for the good of their cohorts.

Just as an Alpha does in business once they become emotionally invested in said business.

IMO it was several things causing players uncertainty..

In my own cognitive perceptions and conclusions ;o)
...It was a poor mix of coaches. There was not one coach in CHW's HC tenure, that would "get in a player's grill" when the player needed it. . . .

There was a rumor at the time that Kyra Elzy was replaced that she was that type of coach, but that she and Holly “didn’t see eye-to-eye.” Maybe Holly wanted to use positive reinforcement ONLY.

There were also rumors that the players too often took advantage of Holly’s laid-back nature in practice.

To be fair to today’s coaches in general, the line between “tough” and “abusive” is a heckuva lot thinner than it used to be.

There are, I’m sure, still some really tough coaches out there who yell at players, openly use profane language when addressing them in practice and games, and who sometimes voices such brutally honest observations that it hurts players’ feelings — Geno Auriemma is the most successful of this type — but that type is rare these days.

Auriemma can get away with it because he IS so successful, and players and their parents know what they’re going to get with him. Everyone knows that some of his tactics might be considered abuse elsewhere, but his program doesn’t attract the type of kids who would see it that way.

But he’s extremely fortunate. Most other coaches don’t have the track record that allows themto get away with that, and I believe that Holly’s naturally easygoing personality made her all the more conscious about how far her staff should go in getting their points across.

Pat was fortunate, too, that her heyday occurred BEFORE the majority of coaches felt they had to tone it down a few notches or risk getting fired.

Reactions: Hoosier
Both conformed instead of "forming"...They let CHW lead them right to job loss.
Many of the same principals in coaching mirror business:
  • One vision equals success...Not, one focus!...each individual must focus their strengths, for the purpose of the vision.
  • You've got to have symmetry in leadership at the helm or a trickle down of the higher-tier's weaknesses will happen by/in the staff.
  • The employees must never see the exec/higher management argue or disagree. Like parents for children,,a division at the top equals an avenue from the bottom (Approaching one parent for one thing and the other parent for thing,,since you know which answer you will get from each.
Anosike and Gordon were Aplha's on the playing court, but Beta's on that bench. An Alpha would have taken a risk from their seat. An Alpha attacks weak leadership. Even at their own immediate risk (See Eveina Westbrook)...But they will take that risk for the good of their cohorts.

Just as an Alpha does in business once they become emotionally invested in said business.
I think Kyra Elzy was trying to be that.

Reactions: djtee
A good Coach doesn't have to discipline....Only when challenged.
And if they are respected in the first place....they won't be challenged.

It's never about yelling or being abusive, it is about respect.
Sometimes discipline can be as simple as a "stare"

Your post is illogical and makes absolutely no sense, per usual.

Any news on how the official visit went for Madeline Westbeld? Looks her last official visit will be this weekend at Notre Dame.

Any news on how the official visit went for Madeline Westbeld? Looks her last official visit will be this weekend at Notre Dame.

I haven't heard anything official, but someone over on The SUmmiTT said that the "visit went well as usual," and that "the girls are great host(s) and personable."

T
I haven't heard anything official, but someone over on The SUmmiTT said that the "visit went well as usual," and that "the girls are great host(s) and personable."

Thanks for the reply. ND is considered the favorite, but you never know

I don't think you have to degrade them, but Ladies and Gentlemen, here lies the problems in todays society. Kids are so soft now, Charmin would get in trouble for wiping their butts.

enjoyed the picture - now explain 'discipline' once again (smile)

Cute photo, but I can’t help but to chuckle when I imagine all those young women, 30 years from now, looking back at their Lady Vol candid photos and thinking, “What in the world were we thinking with all our tongues hanging out and making silly “gang signs” in pretty much every photo we were in together??” lol

I’m just glad they seem to be enjoying themselves and each other’s company. Hopefully we’ll get to see a few no-tongue, no-signs pics before the year is out. Maybe at the Volscars! :D

Anosike and Gordon were Aplha's on the playing court, but Beta's on that bench.

To be fair, as a graduate assistant Anosike wasn’t allowed to participate on the bench. From all I can tell, the NCAA pretty much limits graduate assistants to the tasks of 1. Clapping When Good Things Are Happening; 2. Looking On With Concern When Things Aren’t Going Well; 3. Holding A Notepad; 4. Interacting With Players ONLY Through Telepathy, As Speaking To Them Is Forbidden

So, even though I am certain that Anosike has the intensity that may have gotten through, the rules put a muzzle on her.

I don't think you have to degrade them, but Ladies and Gentlemen, here lies the problems in todays society. Kids are so soft now, Charmin would get in trouble for wiping their butts.

A hard head should improve total bench time as well passive aggressive behavior is common today in our entitled world.

First, you have to understand what the Stare means...Pat used the Stare quite often but the players understood what the Stare was about. Players can't just expect to know unless they are taught. Pat taught what the Stare meant!

First, you have to understand what the Stare means...Pat used the Stare quite often but the players understood what the Stare was about. Players can't just expect to know unless they are taught. Pat taught what the Stare meant!

I know what the stare means...."I had one more nerve left ,,and you just got on it"

Basketball Players ,, are like employees, or students, or you or me...or pretty much anyone..

If they KNOW you know what you are doing and you carry yourself in the same manner,,,they will follow you just to see where you can take them.

Along the way you set guidelines.
And keep them.

Reactions: GameTime

VN Store

Back