2020 Lady Vol Recruiting Thread

What makes you say that? I’m just curious
Well I disagree that she want play and that she want make some impact. I think she is more along the line of Willard who plays for Missouri State who was a three star rated player who is playing lights out for them. I'm not saying she will be some kind of superstar, but she can definitely handle and shoot the ball and her defense is quite excellent over 250 steals in her high school career thus far. I think she will play a role as a sub as will Salary both are better than anyone we got coming off the bench now other than maybe Burrell. I probably should add KK as well but she has been so terrible here lately don't know if she is gonna help this season.

Reactions: mytenn
Well I disagree that she want play and that she want make some impact. I think she is more along the line of Willard who plays for Missouri State who was a three star rated player who is playing lights out for them. I'm not saying she will be some kind of superstar, but she can definitely handle and shoot the ball and her defense is quite excellent over 250 steals in her high school career thus far. I think she will play a role as a sub as will Salary both are better than anyone we got coming off the bench now other than maybe Burrell. I probably should add KK as well but she has been so terrible here lately don't know if she is gonna help this season.

Is this still based on the two minute highlight reel?

Not to rain on a parade, but I think the expectations here for Tess are completely unrealistic. I doubt she'll see the court much next season, and depending on who signs in 2021, she might not be much more than a depth recruit.

I agree sadly, just from the film I’ve seen I don’t think she’ll get much court time after the first part of the season. She might come in to try to bust a zone now and then as it looks like she can really shoot the 3, but defensively I don’t see her being able to contribute right away. She doesn’t appear to be the quickest player and she isn’t strong enough to defend in the paint at the D1 level.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
She's a 3-star player that isn't highly regarded by the ranking systems. When was the last time a player like that made an impact at Tennessee...especially with Massengill, Horston, Davis, Green, Burrell and possibly Jessie and Salary ahead of her on the depth chart.

Nothing against her...just seems the expectations may be out of line with her credentials.
Actually she is a four star now number 144 but regardless of that. The two times I have seen her play she has excellent ball handling and passing skills. She is very deadly on the three gets it off quickly and she is not a volume shooter she actually has great percentages 52 percent from the field and 39 from the three. If you have ever seen Willard of Missouri State play I would say Darby is the identical same type player. I don't know if she will have a career like Willard's had but she certainly plays an identical game. She has a little sister that is impressive for a sophomore I know we want offer her as she is only 5'6" unless she grows. You wonder how Darby got to 6'1" and her sister is only 5'6". Edie is a little dynamo she cuts through defenses and you better be ready for a rocket pass. She is also quite good shooting the three. I think she''ll be a major college player as well or at least mid major her height is her biggest deficit.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Have you personally seen all 3 players play and not just highlights? Chloe based on what I’ve seen is better. Just my opinion. I was just wondering why we didn’t recruit her. Just wish they’d look deeper in the south. Great players have been missed out on because of it. And there are a few now that are sophomores and juniors that will be awesome players. They should’ve went harder after now U of Memphis freshman guard out of Haywood County because she is the real deal. You can’t always go off who they are being recruited by. Some kids tend to be over recruited and never show their potential based on the hype.

Have to keep in mind that recruiting isn’t just about basketball. That’s obviously the most important aspect. But grades, extracurriculars, personality and family life among other things contribute to who gets recruited and who doesn’t. If it were purely based on basketball skill alone recruiting and collegiate basketball in general would look much different.

She looks like a pretty good player, but given where she’s committed it would appear there were other factors in her recruitment. As another poster alluded to she has had some family trauma the last couple of years that likely affected her decision to stay closer to home.

I agree sadly, just from the film I’ve seen I don’t think she’ll get much court time after the first part of the season. She might come in to try to bust a zone now and then as it looks like she can really shoot the 3, but defensively I don’t see her being able to contribute right away. She doesn’t appear to be the quickest player and she isn’t strong enough to defend in the paint at the D1 level.

This is why i said Teonni Key 6-3 6-4 is a must get for the lady vols in 2021. Key only a junior has more game then Darby and Salary from what i have seen so far from the videos.

This is why i said Teonni Key 6-3 6-4 is a must get for the lady vols in 2021. Key only a junior has more game then Darby and Salary from what i have seen so far from the videos.

I hate the thought of not being able to sign Miss Key. She's so long, athletic, and versatile. And though I'm not holding my breath, any pairing of Teonni, with Jersey Wolfenbarger, Saniya Rivers, or, for crying out loud, Azzi Fudd ...and we're good to go. I'm also hopeful for Karoline Striplin, and/or Sara Puckett. And, lest we forget Miss Jada Walker (I think you were the first to mention her); and I really like the lady from Michigan - Bree Salenbien.
Of course, by the next recruiting year, '22, we should have secured a post or two, but a couple/three/four of this group, with seniors (Burrell, Massengill, Green; juniors Rennie, Saunders, Key, HORSTON; sophomores, Salary and Darby ...and we're closing in on the elites.
Of course, we might get NONE of my Dream Team, but, with Miss Teonni Key on board, any or many of the others might at least take a much closer look.
*Obviously, injuries, juco, and/or transfers (in or out), can change the entire landscape.

Reactions: lvocd
She's a 3-star player that isn't highly regarded by the ranking systems. When was the last time a player like that made an impact at Tennessee...especially with Massengill, Horston, Davis, Green, Burrell and possibly Jessie and Salary ahead of her on the depth chart.

Nothing against her...just seems the expectations may be out of line with her credentials.
She was also a Top 70 recruit prior to an injury her sophomore year which cost her to miss much of the events the summer of her Junior year which is a real big recruiting year. Who knows how much higher she might have risen in the rankings had it not been for the injury. There is a difference in 3 star based on competition played (Kam and Emily) and 3 star based on injury and not being able to showcase your talents at a critical time.

I hate the thought of not being able to sign Miss Key. She's so long, athletic, and versatile. And though I'm not holding my breath, any pairing of Teonni, with Jersey Wolfenbarger, Saniya Rivers, or, for crying out loud, Azzi Fudd ...and we're good to go. I'm also hopeful for Karoline Striplin, and/or Sara Puckett. And, lest we forget Miss Jada Walker (I think you were the first to mention her); and I really like the lady from Michigan - Bree Salenbien.
Of course, by the next recruiting year, '22, we should have secured a post or two, but a couple/three/four of this group, with seniors (Burrell, Massengill, Green; juniors Rennie, Saunders, Key, HORSTON; sophomores, Salary and Darby ...and we're closing in on the elites.
Of course, we might get NONE of my Dream Team, but, with Miss Teonni Key on board, any or many of the others might at least take a much closer look.
*Obviously, injuries, juco, and/or transfers (in or out), can change the entire landscape.

I hear you as for a pg we need one in the worst way to help Jazz and i was blown away by Jada Walker she is the real deal. I wounder if KJH has offered her ?

Reactions: krichunaka
i guess the days of signing top 10 recruits are over...i guess its time to settle for 3 stars and junior college kids

Maybe not over, but we need to win the games we are favored and a couple or more higher ranked teams. The right 20-40 ranked players can be solid players.

i guess the days of signing top 10 recruits are over...i guess its time to settle for 3 stars and junior college kids
Certainly not over but when you change your entire coaching staff this is to be expected unless you hire a coach from a school that already has relationships with most of the top players. In this case at Mo State wasn't really going after those players. Regardless I'd take Willard and Franklin over anyone ranked from 20 on and even some ranked above that and they were both three star players.

Certainly not over but when you change your entire coaching staff this is to be expected unless you hire a coach from a school that already has relationships with most of the top players. In this case at Mo State wasn't really going after those players. Regardless I'd take Willard and Franklin over anyone ranked from 20 on and even some ranked above that and they were both three star players.

To be fair it`s clear that KJH and her staff was unable to sign a top recruit in this class of 2020 so that is why to me Darby was offered not a bad signing. Will need to do a better job with the class of 2021 which is loaded i think better then the 2020 class.

To be fair it`s clear that KJH and her staff was unable to sign a top recruit in this class of 2020 so that is why to me Darby was offered not a bad signing. Will need to do a better job with the class of 2021 which is loaded i think better then the 2020 class.

Kellie and staff held on to the recruits from the previous staff.

Were there 2020 verbals to the previous staff who flipped when Kellie was hired? Were there top recruits known to be leaning to Tennessee?

Asking for a friend.

You want to dismiss a player that is going to score 2500 points in high school and shoot 40 percent from the three and 52 percent from the field overall that is your opinion. I totally disagree after going to two of her games and seeing her play. If she was on the team right now she would be playing ahead of everyone coming off the bench except Burrell and KK. It wasn't like Tennessee was her only offer it was the one she wanted. She had offers from 11 different schools and that list was growing. You entitled to your opinion but stats don't lie how many players put up 2500 points in high school and not through volume shooting. She also averages close to 10 rebounds per game and has over 300 steals. She moved from an unknown up to number 144 at prospect nation and would move up some more if they do another rating. I think she will turn out to be just as successful as Willard of Missouri State in college and Willard has scored 1300 points and counting. She was a three star unknown that Kellie recruited as well.

You want to dismiss a player that is going to score 2500 points in high school and shoot 40 percent from the three and 52 percent from the field overall that is your opinion. I totally disagree after going to two of her games and seeing her play. If she was on the team right now she would be playing ahead of everyone coming off the bench except Burrell and KK. It wasn't like Tennessee was her only offer it was the one she wanted. She had offers from 11 different schools and that list was growing. You entitled to your opinion but stats don't lie how many players put up 2500 points in high school and not through volume shooting. She also averages close to 10 rebounds per game and has over 300 steals. She moved from an unknown up to number 144 at prospect nation and would move up some more if they do another rating. I think she will turn out to be just as successful as Willard of Missouri State in college and Willard has scored 1300 points and counting. She was a three star unknown that Kellie recruited as well.

i did not dismiss her i was just asking if you have ever seen her play that`s all.

i did not dismiss her i was just asking if you have ever seen her play that`s all.
Yes in December she played in Christmas Tourney in Dyersburg, Tennessee they beat Dyersburg which was the host team and also a double a rated team. She scored 25 in the first game I watched and against Dyersburg 24. She doesn't mind shooting it from 35 feet made a couple against Dyersburg. I also got to see her little sister Edie who is only like 5'6" tall she had something like 10 assists against Dyersburg and also hit four three point shots. What impressed me about her was her speed she went coast to coast two or three time for a layup. I doubt Tennessee signs her would take someone who doesn't mind her size although she may grow. She is a lot quicker than Tess but not as good a shooter at least not as a sophomore. Greenfield also has another player McNeil who looked like a Division one player to me saw where she signed with Bethel which is a local college. I think she definitely could play for a bigger school if she had wanted to. As far as Tess in the games I saw she is not only a terrific shooter she plays some solid defense had at least three steals in the Dyersburg game. I think she will play for us coming off the bench as a freshman my thoughts on her is that she is a lot more talented player than anyone we got on our bench right now excepting Burrell and KK. I think she will be more valuable than KK because she can hit the long bombs consistently and will definitely be a person that will kill teams that pack zones. I'm gonna try to see a couple more games I live in Milan Tn which is only 18 miles from Greenfield so not a far drive.

80803187_10215244677059423_2623197081858211840_n.jpg
Greenfield 14 and 0 going for the tourney title Monday. Tess Darby looks like the leading candidate for tournament mvp. Greenfield wins over USJ 79 to 41. Next up versus Dyersburg for the title.
Here is a tweet on the semifinal game results from Lowensdale who has that Tennessee site he runs. This was the game before they played Dyersburg for the title.

VN Store

Back