25)Seth Littrell North Texas
26)Dino Babers Syracuse
27)David Shaw Stanford
28)Les Miles Kansas
29)Scott Loeffler Bowling Green
30)Jake Spivital Texas State

Coaches Hot Seat 2020

Last edited:
I know it's not easy to fill out such a long list, but Gary Patterson of TCU? They have built a statue of him for crying out loud. They are paying him $5.1 million per year with a contract that runs through 2024. His name jumped out at me immediately and makes it hard to take the rest of it seriously.

Any list without an Auburn HC is bogus. They are always on the seat. I like that about their program. Gives the HC no room to let the program slide down for a year or two or three.... you know like our Vols.

And anytime he’s on said list he beats Saban. He pulls a rabbit out his butt and gets another year

Any list without an Auburn HC is bogus. They are always on the seat. I like that about their program. Gives the HC no room to let the program slide down for a year or two or three.... you know like our Vols.
We turn up the heat on our coaches too after a couple rough years. Ours just don't pull rabbits out of the hat and get off the hot seat though.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
We all are I think

it amazes me that when the job is on the line Gus beats Saban. So, if he could be that dialed in all the time how good could he be?
Gus would be a top 3-4 coach in the country if his teams were dialed in all the time or most of the time, and might even have multiple national titles.

The problem with Gus is that his offense relies a lot on misdirection and he makes very few in-game or game-to-game adjustments. If it happens to be that the opponent is fooled by the misdirection in a particular game, Auburn can beat anyone, anytime. If the opponent isn't fooled by the misdirection, then Auburn has trouble moving the ball against anybody. His offense also relies on elite (not just good, but very very good) QB play in order to be successful. If Auburn doesn't get QB play among the best in the country, the best season they'll have is about 8 wins, even if that QB has a ton of weapons and the defense is awesome.

If your offense is heavily reliant on misdirection (and not physically moving people out of the way), doesn't make adjustments, and needs outstanding QB play to truly make it "go," that's a recipe for inconsistency.

It's a shame for them because their defense, especially their defensive line, is routinely among the best in the SEC and the country. Gus's offensive inconsistency has lifted them to some great highs but also holds them back at the same time.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Gus would be a top 3-4 coach in the country if his teams were dialed in all the time or most of the time, and might even have multiple national titles.

The problem with Gus is that his offense relies a lot on misdirection and he makes very few in-game or game-to-game adjustments. If it happens to be that the opponent is fooled by the misdirection in a particular game, Auburn can beat anyone, anytime. If the opponent isn't fooled by the misdirection, then Auburn has trouble moving the ball against anybody. His offense also relies on elite (not just good, but very very good) QB play in order to be successful. If Auburn doesn't get QB play among the best in the country, the best season they'll have is about 8 wins, even if that QB has a ton of weapons and the defense is awesome.

If your offense is heavily reliant on misdirection (and not physically moving people out of the way), doesn't make adjustments, and needs outstanding QB play to truly make it "go," that's a recipe for inconsistency.

It's a shame for them because their defense, especially their defensive line, is routinely among the best in the SEC and the country. Gus's offensive inconsistency has lifted them to some great highs but also holds them back at the same time.
Gus Malzahn is safe for a long time to come because his buyout is 27 million dollarso_O

Reactions: feathersax
That goes down with each passing year though, and it'll get low enough to where they'll feel more comfortable about canning him after a disappointing season.
I could see him being a candidate for the South Carolina or NCSU head football coaching job after the 2020 season if Auburn slips to 8-4 and gets pounded by Alabama.

Last edited:
Reactions: preacherwebb

No offense, but I don’t think it’s a great quality to fire a coach every year or 2, or to threaten to. No other coach has beaten Saban more than Gus. Having a coach constantly looking over his shoulder even more than usual isn’t exactly going to make the job that much more attractive to whoever comes in after Gus. What are they going to think? Hey this guy and Cam won us a title, got to another and the guy has beaten Saban more than any other coach and they still fired his ass. How short is my leash?

Auburn is a different breed though.

I know it's not easy to fill out such a long list, but Gary Patterson of TCU? They have built a statue of him for crying out loud. They are paying him $5.1 million per year with a contract that runs through 2024. His name jumped out at me immediately and makes it hard to take the rest of it seriously.
With the second major expansion of Amon Carter Stadium this century ($100m) TCU might want more bang for their bucks.

Expansion of TCU's Amon G. Carter Stadium won't be ready until 2020 season, AD announces

They might just shuffle Fatterson and his statue over to Golden Coral (sweat towel girls optional).

I could see Matt Rhule being fired after three losing seasons with the Panthers and then being hired by TCU to take over for Gary Patterson.
If it doesn’t work for Rhule in Carolina I think he will be in position to get whatever college job is available. Selfishly I wish Rhule had never left College ball. I think he‘s the kind of coach that is really good for college football.

Last edited:
No offense, but I don’t think it’s a great quality to fire a coach every year or 2, or to threaten to. No other coach has beaten Saban more than Gus. Having a coach constantly looking over his shoulder even more than usual isn’t exactly going to make the job that much more attractive to whoever comes in after Gus. What are they going to think? Hey this guy and Cam won us a title, got to another and the guy has beaten Saban more than any other coach and they still fired his ass. How short is my leash?

Auburn is a different breed though.
That's 95% of the reason he's still there, IMO. The other 5% is because he was the OC on the 2010 national title-winning team and almost won a title as HC in 2013.

I think what Auburn and their fans ultimately want is more consistency/competitiveness in the years they don't beat Alabama or vie for championships. In Gus's 7 years there, he's won 8 games or less 4 times. They haven't had a consistent poor run of play that has lowered their expectations - they don't have Battered Tiger Syndrome. They aren't OK with 7 or 8-win seasons in any circumstance like Tennessee fans are (we aren't OK with 8-win seasons forever either, but we took that last year and there have been a bunch of seasons over the last decade where we have/would have been OK with that).

I know it's a big statement to say "if you ignore his 2 best seasons" because those did happen and you can't take them away from him, but if you ignore 2013 and 2017, Gus is only 19-21 in SEC play. So in his 5 seasons where he didn't play for something big, he's actually below .500 against conference opponents. Ultimately I think they want the "off" seasons to be better.

That's 95% of the reason he's still there, IMO. The other 5% is because he was the OC on the 2010 national title-winning team and almost won a title as HC in 2013.

I think what Auburn and their fans ultimately want is more consistency/competitiveness in the years they don't beat Alabama or vie for championships. In Gus's 7 years there, he's won 8 games or less 4 times. They haven't had a consistent poor run of play that has lowered their expectations - they don't have Battered Tiger Syndrome. They aren't OK with 7 or 8-win seasons in any circumstance like Tennessee fans are (we aren't OK with 8-win seasons forever either, but we took that last year and there have been a bunch of seasons over the last decade where we have/would have been OK with that).

I know it's a big statement to say "if you ignore his 2 best seasons" because those did happen and you can't take them away from him, but if you ignore 2013 and 2017, Gus is only 19-21 in SEC play. So in his 5 seasons where he didn't play for something big, he's actually below .500 against conference opponents. Ultimately I think they want the "off" seasons to be better.

You definitely make points that are hard to argue with. I think the perception of Auburn fans and even the administrators is that they are unreasonable with their expectations. Auburn really is a mystery. Just about every time they’re supposed to be down they’re up and vice versa. IMO, last season went about as well as possible considering the schedule and starting a freshman QB. I think the problem is that you beat Bama and Oregon, but you have to split the UGA/UF games, he didn’t. They played LSU tougher than anyone (Gator fans might argue that) and then you blow the bowl game to a traditionally low level B1G team. Not many get through that schedule with 4 losses, but then again that’s not acceptable at Auburn, especially when Ole St. Nick is right down the road.

You definitely make points that are hard to argue with. I think the perception of Auburn fans and even the administrators is that they are unreasonable with their expectations. Auburn really is a mystery. Just about every time they’re supposed to be down they’re up and vice versa. IMO, last season went about as well as possible considering the schedule and starting a freshman QB. I think the problem is that you beat Bama and Oregon, but you have to split the UGA/UF games, he didn’t. They played LSU tougher than anyone (Gator fans might argue that) and then you blow the bowl game to a traditionally low level B1G team. Not many get through that schedule with 4 losses, but then again that’s not acceptable at Auburn, especially when Ole St. Nick is right down the road.
Much of it is driven by their inferiority complex with Alabama and Saban, no question. However, I don't think that explains everything because if Alabama had been awful for the last 10+ years, I still think Auburn fans would be frustrated with Gus ("We aren't taking enough advantage of them being down!").

Auburn is absolutely one of the most interesting programs out there. On one hand I think they should be more OK with Gus's performance than they are, especially in light of how good Alabama has been, but I also understand why they have never totally bought into him. The "bad when expectations are high, good when expectations are low" thing you mentioned I know wears their fans out. As does their offense always being the thing that ultimately holds them back (and Gus is a supposed offensive guru). Over the last couple of years, Kevin Steele has probably helped save his job even more than the rabbit out of the hat wins against Alabama.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back