2020 College Football Coaches Hotseat List

SEC and ACC coaching changes that I think will happen during or after the 2020 college football season

ACC

Dave Doeren fired as NCSU head football coach after a 4-8 2020 season

David Cutcliffe retires as Duke head football coach after a 3-9 2020 season

Dave Clawson leaves Wake Forest to become head football coach somewhere like Houston,Arizona,UCLA or Miami

SEC

Derek Mason fired as Vanderbilt head football coach after a 2-10 2020 season

Gus Malzahn gets tired of the pressure and leaves Auburn to become head football coach somewhere like Texas,UCLA,USC,Miami or NCSU

Will Muschamp fired as South Carolina head football coach after a 4-8 2020 season

First reaction, speed round
1)Clay Helton USC - May SoCal eclipse the string of embarrassments at Tennessee
2)Tom Herman Texas - Really, UTx?!? [double facepalm]
3)Kevin Sumlin Arizona - [Pete Davidson] Okay
4)Will Muschamp South Carolina - Let him stick around to lose to Pruitt's Vols a few more times
5)Derek Mason Vanderbilt - Um, it's Vandy; what difference will it make?
6)Scott Frost Nebraska - Children of the Corn eat their own
7)Randy Edsall UConn - Yeah, whatever
8)Manny Diaz Miami - Does anyone else want Miami to fall into the cracks and be dropped from the ACC?
9)Dana Holgorsen Houston - after Hurricane Harvey, I see no reason to be in Houston, so...
10)Chip Kelly UCLA - HA HA HA HA!
11)Dana Dimel UTEP - There once was a West Texas girl from El Paso...
12)Walt Bell UMass - Are they aiming to scoop up Randy Edsall when he's released by UConn?
13)Doug Martin New Mexico State - Good luck, Aggies; I once lived in Las Cruces...
14)Pat Fitzgerald Northwestern - THWEEEEEET! LIARS!
15)Mike Bloomgren Rice - It's all about the Owl Band, anyway
16)Steve Campbell South Alabama - It's in Alabama, so...
17)Philip Montgomery Tulsa - Whatever
18)Tom Arth Akron - Whatever
19)Mike Locksley Maryland - Illinois, Indiana, and Purdue need Maryland to suck
20)Jeff Brohm Purdue - Really?
21)Lovie Smith Illinois - But, but, what if Maryland does suck?
22)Dave Doeren NCSU - In the research triangle, I've only room for Cutcliffe and his Dukies
23)Gary Patterson TCU - this seems stupid
24)Geoff Collins Georgia Tech - If GT doesn't give him 5 years, they'll never get or keep a decent coach again
25)Seth Littrell North Texas - Oct. 25, 1975
26)Dino Babers Syracuse - Doesn't make sense
27)David Shaw Stanford - Maybe Stanford can schedule a battle of the bands with Rice every year
28)Les Miles Kansas - Would garner no press, while Big Manhattan has Covid-19
29)Scott Loeffler Bowling Green - Oh well
30)Jake Spivital Texas State - Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

First reaction, speed round
1)Clay Helton USC - May SoCal eclipse the string of embarrassments at Tennessee
2)Tom Herman Texas - Really, UTx?!? [double facepalm]
3)Kevin Sumlin Arizona - [Pete Davidson] Okay
4)Will Muschamp South Carolina - Let him stick around to lose to Pruitt's Vols a few more times
5)Derek Mason Vanderbilt - Um, it's Vandy; what difference will it make?
6)Scott Frost Nebraska - Children of the Corn eat their own
7)Randy Edsall UConn - Yeah, whatever
8)Manny Diaz Miami - Does anyone else want Miami to fall into the cracks and be dropped from the ACC?
9)Dana Holgorsen Houston - after Hurricane Harvey, I see no reason to be in Houston, so...
10)Chip Kelly UCLA - HA HA HA HA!
11)Dana Dimel UTEP - There once was a West Texas girl from El Paso...
12)Walt Bell UMass - Are they aiming to scoop up Randy Edsall when he's released by UConn?
13)Doug Martin New Mexico State - Good luck, Aggies; I once lived in Las Cruces...
14)Pat Fitzgerald Northwestern - THWEEEEEET! LIARS!
15)Mike Bloomgren Rice - It's all about the Owl Band, anyway
16)Steve Campbell South Alabama - It's in Alabama, so...
17)Philip Montgomery Tulsa - Whatever
18)Tom Arth Akron - Whatever
19)Mike Locksley Maryland - Illinois, Indiana, and Purdue need Maryland to suck
20)Jeff Brohm Purdue - Really?
21)Lovie Smith Illinois - But, but, what if Maryland does suck?
22)Dave Doeren NCSU - In the research triangle, I've only room for Cutcliffe and his Dukies
23)Gary Patterson TCU - this seems stupid
24)Geoff Collins Georgia Tech - If GT doesn't give him 5 years, they'll never get or keep a decent coach again
25)Seth Littrell North Texas - Oct. 25, 1975
26)Dino Babers Syracuse - Doesn't make sense
27)David Shaw Stanford - Maybe Stanford can schedule a battle of the bands with Rice every year
28)Les Miles Kansas - Would garner no press, while Big Manhattan has Covid-19
29)Scott Loeffler Bowling Green - Oh well
30)Jake Spivital Texas State - Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to
Tom Arth would have been better off if he had stayed at Chattanooga

Reactions: Tin Man
Seth Littrell has that North Texas program humming. If the seat’s hot it’s because they left it in the sun, Tuesday. He’ll end up taking a P5 job tho he’s turned down some offers already.

SEC and ACC coaching changes that I think will happen during or after the 2020 college football season

ACC

Dave Doeren fired as NCSU head football coach after a 4-8 2020 season

David Cutcliffe retires as Duke head football coach after a 3-9 2020 season

Dave Clawson leaves Wake Forest to become head football coach somewhere like Houston,Arizona,UCLA or Miami

SEC

Derek Mason fired as Vanderbilt head football coach after a 2-10 2020 season

Gus Malzahn gets tired of the pressure and leaves Auburn to become head football coach somewhere like Texas,UCLA,USC,Miami or NCSU

Will Muschamp fired as South Carolina head football coach after a 4-8 2020 season

Gus isn’t going from orbiting the sun to sitting on the surface at Texas.

Captain James T. Kirk : Computer, this is Captain James Kirk of the USS Enterprise. Destruct sequence 1: code 1-1A.
Computer voice : Voice and code 1-1A verified and correct. Sequence 1 complete.
Captain James T. Kirk : Mr. Spock?
Mr. Spock : This is Commander Spock, Science Officer. Destruct sequence number 2: code 1-1A-2B.
Computer voice : Voice and code verified and correct. Sequence 2 complete.
Captain James T. Kirk : Mr. Scott?
Lt. Cmdr. Montgomery 'Scotty' Scott : This is Lt. Commander Scott, Chief Engineering officer of the USS Enterprise. Destruct sequence number 3: code 1-B-2-B-3.
Computer voice : Voice and code 1B-2B-3 verified and correct. Destruct sequence completed and engaged. Awaiting final code for 30 second countdown.
Captain James T. Kirk : Mr. Spock, has the ship returned to the course set for it by my orders?
Mr. Spock : Negative, Captain. We are still headed directly for Cheron.
Computer voice : Destruct sequence engaged. Awaiting final code for 30 second countdown.
Captain James T. Kirk : Computer, this is Captain James Kirk of the USS Enterprise. Begin 30 second countdown. Code zero-zero-zero-destruct-zero.
Computer voice : 30 seconds... 29... 28... 27...

Tom Arth would have been better off if he had stayed at Chattanooga
He's at a stage of his career though where if you get a promotion the pay increase is really significant on a percentage basis. Arth made $185k at UTC. He's making $500k at Akron, a 170% increase. You take that, even if Akron is a terrible job (and it is).

More established, veteran head coaches have the luxury of being able to be more selective and hold out for a truly good job 1) because they are already making/have made a ton of money and 2) the raise they get isn't going to be a doubling/tripling of their pay. It's easier to say no.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Eight Vanderbilt players have entered the transfer portal since the end of the 2019 season. They must know that Derek Mason is a goner after the 2020 season.

Vanderbilt football loses eighth player to transfer portal
Only reason Mason is still there is because of his record against Tennessee.

Not only is he .500 against us overall (3-3), but the wins over us in the last game of the season got him to bowl eligibility in 2016 and 2018, which are the only bowls he has made.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Depending on the length of the 2020 season, there might not be a lot of coaching changes made.
If there aren't many coaching changes made, I bet it would be more of a function of the budget situations at colleges rather than schools being hesitant to make changes on the basis of what wouldn't be a full season. I mean, if 2017 ended up being a shortened season for some reason, we still would have fired Butch. We would have gone 2-8 or something like that depending on how many games ended up being played. The only reason we wouldn't have fired him after that season is if we didn't have the cash to pay the buyout.

Agree with 05. If you cut a program like soccer, how much heat would a school take for paying a football coach millions and paying off the previous coach.

VN Store

Back