2019 Target List

As I understand it, when UT initially talked with Pember, a 2019 scholly wasn't on the table and he continued to look elsewhere. Kid was between his junior and senior year and was coming off of an injury. The vibe I got was he wasn't interested in prep school or walk-on status and would play elsewhere if these were the options. Obviously UT changed their minds and offered the kid prior to his senior year starting.

I'm guessing after his senior year that UT would be more inclined to suggest the prep school route for him. He can be a contributor, but it will be a few years. JMO. TIFWIW.

I’m not a big believer in Pember as a guy that will play consistent minutes, but I would hate to have two guys redshirting for non injury purposes in Pember and Gaines. Only leaves you with 11 scholarship players.

What’s the deepest we’ve gone this year in a meaningful game?

As I understand it, when UT initially talked with Pember, a 2019 scholly wasn't on the table and he continued to look elsewhere. Kid was between his junior and senior year and was coming off of an injury. The vibe I got was he wasn't interested in prep school or walk-on status and would play elsewhere if these were the options. Obviously UT changed their minds and offered the kid prior to his senior year starting.

I'm guessing after his senior year that UT would be more inclined to suggest the prep school route for him. He can be a contributor, but it will be a few years. JMO. TIFWIW.

Not the case at all...Pember is quoted as saying he would do whatever UT coaches wanted him to do and all he cared about was playing for Tennessee. When he got the offer he commuted very quickly after, there was no change of plans or promises made, and he said post commitment he would be willing to prep.

Not the case at all...Pember is quoted as saying he would do whatever UT coaches wanted him to do and all he cared about was playing for Tennessee. When he got the offer he commuted very quickly after, there was no change of plans or promises made, and he said post commitment he would be willing to prep.

BTO...what I stated is based on first-hand knowledge of how Pember ended up committing at UT, and that he was not interested at the time in the prep school route. Barnes and Co. met with him prior to a Vegas AAU tourney coming up at which it was expected Pember would play and receive quite a bit more national recognition in terms of recruiting visibility.

Of course now that he's committed he has said he will do whatever necessary to be at UT.

Final note...you obviously have a lot of knowledge concerning UT and the inner-workings, but your "know it all" approach and assumption that no one else on here knows anything is a tired act man.

Reactions: sccshortstop
This year it hasn’t hurt us, but if injuries arise and we lose a couple players our depth would be incredibly tested

I would think they’d then ditch the redshirt, if KA and Fulk for injured early this year I’m guessing we’d have seen Burns.

BTO...what I stated is based on first-hand knowledge of how Pember ended up committing at UT, and that he was not interested at the time in the prep school route. Barnes and Co. met with him prior to a Vegas AAU tourney coming up at which it was expected Pember would play and receive quite a bit more national recognition in terms of recruiting visibility.

Of course now that he's committed he has said he will do whatever necessary to be at UT.

Final note...you obviously have a lot of knowledge concerning UT and the inner-workings, but your "know it all" approach and assumption that no one else on here knows anything is a tired act man.

So in summary we shouldn’t believe what Pember says himself but should believe your first hand info?

I really like this kid. If Walker Kessler doesn't reclassify or picks another school, I hope we take him. Good size at 6'9 even if he is more of a small forward than a power forward. Still should leave UT with 4 players in the '20 class, well 3 since Corey Walker is already committed.

If he is a good player, a long, 6-9 small forward would be very nice.

I really like this kid. If Walker Kessler doesn't reclassify or picks another school, I hope we take him. Good size at 6'9 even if he is more of a small forward than a power forward. Still should leave UT with 4 players in the '20 class, well 3 since Corey Walker is already committed.
Kessler has decided not to reclassify.

I’m curious to see the direction it all goes this spring, obviously right now there aren’t any open spots, but clearly the staff is recruiting as if there’s at least 1 and maybe more. As I’ve said previously I don’t expect Kent back, the other most likely scenario seems like GW leaving early opening 2 spots.

These seem to be the two 2019 guys they’re most involved with at the moment...

Isaiah Ihnen, Germany, Power Forward

Olivier Robinson-Nkamhoua, 2019 Power forward - Rivals

Also been some talk of them getting involved with Kyree Walker, Hillcrest Hoops, Small Forward who’s likely to end up in the 2019 class.

They’re also listed as one of the teams that has reached out to graduate transfer Rayjon Tucker College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

So gonna be interesting to watch imo.

I’m curious to see the direction it all goes this spring, obviously right now there aren’t any open spots, but clearly the staff is recruiting as if there’s at least 1 and maybe more. As I’ve said previously I don’t expect Kent back, the other most likely scenario seems like GW leaving early opening 2 spots.

These seem to be the two 2019 guys they’re most involved with at the moment...

Isaiah Ihnen, Germany, Power Forward

Olivier Robinson-Nkamhoua, 2019 Power forward - Rivals

Also been some talk of them getting involved with Kyree Walker, Hillcrest Hoops, Small Forward who’s likely to end up in the 2019 class.

They’re also listed as one of the teams that has reached out to graduate transfer Rayjon Tucker College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

So gonna be interesting to watch imo.
I know we have a ton of guards/wings already but man it’d be hard to turn down a 40% 3 point shooter in Turner who can really score the ball.

Reactions: CAVPUT
I know we have a ton of guards/wings already but man it’d be hard to turn down a 40% 3 point shooter in Turner who can really score the ball.
Exactly my thoughts on the targets. Nearly every other guy we see mentioned is a SF type, a position we seem to be flush at. Tucker would be an ideal replacement for Admiral, as they both seem to play very similarly, but where does that leave Pons, Johnson, Gaines?

With that in mind, part of me wonders what Johnson’s academic standing is. Is it possible he graduates in 3 years and transfers as a grad x-fer? Gaines is an obvious redshirt candidate, but so is Pember. I don’t love the idea of redshirting 2 players who may never pan out. So, maybe Pember goes prep for a year. I’m still not sure on the rules of that after he has signed.

Exactly my thoughts on the targets. Nearly every other guy we see mentioned is a SF type, a position we seem to be flush at. Tucker would be an ideal replacement for Admiral, as they both seem to play very similarly, but where does that leave Pons, Johnson, Gaines?

With that in mind, part of me wonders what Johnson’s academic standing is. Is it possible he graduates in 3 years and transfers as a grad x-fer? Gaines is an obvious redshirt candidate, but so is Pember. I don’t love the idea of redshirting 2 players who may never pan out. So, maybe Pember goes prep for a year. I’m still not sure on the rules of that after he has signed.
I wondered that as well about Johnson?

VN Store

Back