2013 F Austin Nichols (Memphis Briarcrest)

“@BFQuinn: For those concerned A.J. Davis' commitment will sway Austin Nichols, UT staff is pretty darn confident it won't. They're different players.”

Is his game similar to Jarnell? How do they compare?

He has a great skillset and length but isn't there physically yet. He's definitely more of a finesse player than Jarnell. From watching him I think he'll be very, very good in college - just not immediately.

Him and JW3 are signing early. All we know.

There has been some conflicting info as to whether Nichols will sign early or not. Personally, I think he's pretty certain where he wants to go, and to me, it would be hard to wait until spring if that's true. If there is any question in his mind though, a player of his caliber will be a highly sought after commodity in the scoring when some of the big boys are decimated with guys leaving early. He may just have his pick of the litter then. That would appeal to me from a business/financial future standpoint.

Austin Nichols to UT, and fairly soon. That's what I'm hearing as of this morning. Good job by Counzo getting Hubbs and Davis. I think that pressured Austin to pull the trigger, as UT "technically" had one scholarship left until the Spring.

This will be a top 10 class for UT. Better than a lot of Bruce's classes. Should give the Bruce Juicers something to think about.

Reactions: 2 people
Austin Nichols to UT, and fairly soon. That's what I'm hearing as of this morning. Good job by Counzo getting Hubbs and Davis. I think that pressured Austin to pull the trigger, as UT "technically" had one scholarship left until the Spring.

This will be a top 10 class for UT. Better than a lot of Bruce's classes. Should give the Bruce Juicers something to think about.

Good deal. Bruce had some good classes on paper. Lets hope this class is more than just a paper tiger.

Good deal. Bruce had some good classes on paper. Lets hope this class is more than just a paper tiger.

Landry
Davis
Hubbs
Nichols
1 in the Spring, possibly.

That's good stuff. I think some of the Vol faithful would've liked to see a solid 4/5 man in this class, since it's possible that UT loses Stokes, Maymon and Hall next year. Perhaps there is a 5 man that Counzo is eyeing that will wait til the Spring to sign.

Landry
Davis
Hubbs
Nichols
1 in the Spring, possibly.

That's good stuff. I think some of the Vol faithful would've liked to see a solid 4/5 man in this class, since it's possible that UT loses Stokes, Maymon and Hall next year. Perhaps there is a 5 man that Counzo is eyeing that will wait til the Spring to sign.

Honestly, I'd prefer this over taking another wing / tweener (JWII). The opportunity to recruit a solid 1-5 lineup is on the table. The staff has the chance to make this a foundation class.

Honestly, I'd prefer this over taking another wing / tweener (JWII). The opportunity to recruit a solid 1-5 lineup is on the table. The staff has the chance to make this a foundation class.

Pickens are slim in the 2013 class for an impactful 4/5 man, though. Sometimes you've just got to takea warm body to keep the frontcourt numbers balanced.

Pickens are slim in the 2013 class for an impactful 4/5 man, though. Sometimes you've just got to takea warm body to keep the frontcourt numbers balanced.

Just go find some 6'9" kid from the Congo or Nigeria that's over here as part of some educational philanthropy program. Seems to work well. :thumbsup:

Is his game similar to Jarnell? How do they compare?

Very much different. Nichols has more range and handles the ball a lot better. He's a terrific passer. Stokes is more of a true center and can bang in the paint. They would compliment each other very nicely if they get the chance to play together.

I've felt good about Hubbs and Nichols for awhile now. I had no insider info but figured both of these would be in UT orange. Just wondering, where you heard this, are they reliable?

Never been worried about Nichols but JW3 would be icing on a very VERY decorated cake! Anything on JW3 btw?

VN Store

Back