'20 UY PG Santiago Vescovi (UT commit 11/22/19)

It will be crazy fun, but this year will be, too.

I don’t know what is going to happen; however I firmly believe this team will be better than I had thought/predicted which was 22 wins. I still don't think they will be way better than say 22 wins, but the team is (and I think will continue to be) a better team than I had envisioned

Reactions: cardvolfan
Picking up Vescovi is a huge get! People pissing and moaning about post player depth, do you realize we don’t have a back up point guard and JJJ, while looking VERY solid overall, is probably going to be a point/forward, not a classic PG? I also think that will allow us to stay with two bigs and rotate YP/DP/JF/ON better. Then DG can be a utility like LT was before. GBO

A couple of huge ifs but if we can somehow get Plavsic eligible and Santiago can gel with the team fairly quickly we could be a really complete team by March. Not to mention it would obviously provide us with some much needed experience next year.

JMO but this take says a lot about Bailey. I doubt he’s wowed the staff so far

Or it could mean that Bailey didn’t cost us another guard :)

All seriousness, VQ has mentioned a few times over the past month or two that the staff views Bailey as more of a 2 and would prefer to play him there.

Reactions: butchna
Or it could mean that Bailey didn’t cost us another guard :)

All seriousness, VQ has mentioned a few times over the past month or two that the staff views Bailey as more of a 2 and would prefer to play him there.

If bailey is a 2 then I assume that means Springer is going to play pg. seems like the other way around might be better

JMO but if Bailey was wowing the staff we would have used this spot on a big

Will Bailey be 2017 Lamonte Turner? Some people roasted me this summer for saying that he transferred to Tennessee and might not get as much playing time as he thought he would...

I think right now we have a SG depth issue more than PG.

JJJ can very obviously play point, the reason he hasn’t played it much I think is because Turner’s injury makes it to where he can’t slide to guard. His shot is not effective enough right now.

It’s kind of forced us to play Turner exclusively at PG.

It’s possible we can start start seeing more JJJ at PG when Pember and Gaines get a bit more acclimated and they could play guard or let Bowden slide up to the 2.

If he can contribute this year then he’s a take regardless of Bailey IMO.

I think you have to measure what “contribute” means. If by that you mean he puts us over the top to win the SEC or gets us one more round in the dance then I agree

I think right now we have a SG depth issue more than PG.

JJJ can very obviously play point, the reason he hasn’t played it much I think is because Turner’s injury makes it to where he can’t slide to guard. His shot is not effective enough right now.

It’s kind of forced us to play Turner exclusively at PG.

It’s possible we can start start seeing more JJJ at PG when Pember and Gaines get a bit more acclimated and they could play guard or let Bowden slide up to the 2.

Turner is leading the team in shot attempts. Can’t really say the injury is keeping him away from the 2

Turner is leading the team in shot attempts. Can’t really say the injury is keeping him away from the 2

Context matters though. It’s mostly been shots around the basket and layups that come from his ball control. It feels like half his buckets this year are reverse layups. He also plays so many minutes and that increase his shot volume.

He will need to shoot more jumpers at the 2

Based on the shot attempts relative to their minutes, Turner is just slightly behind Bowden. Both just over 25%

Context matters though. It’s mostly been shots around the basket and layups that come from his ball control. It feels like half his buckets this year are reverse layups. He also plays so many minutes and that increase his shot volume.

He will need to shoot more jumpers at the 2
Not really true at all
Bowden has 21 3pt attempts and turner has 20

Not really true at all
Bowden has 21 3pt attempts and turner has 20

That number would be higher if he were at the 2 and that would be bad. As it stands his volume might need to come down there

And he has shot 34 2 pointers, most of them not jumpers. And that doesn’t include shots he got fouled on. So your stat isn’t particularly relevant to disproving mine.

He has made a whopping 4 shots from beyond the arc. What’s your point? You want him to shoot more?

If bailey is a 2 then I assume that means Springer is going to play pg. seems like the other way around might be better

JMO but if Bailey was wowing the staff we would have used this spot on a big
VQ has said that, that Springer is going to be handling the ball a decent amount, of course that was before Vescovi commitment.

Staff is still pursuing a big per VQ.

That number would be higher if he were at the 2 and that would be bad. As it stands his volume might need to come down there

And he has shot 34 2 pointers, most of them not jumpers. And that doesn’t include shots he got fouled on. So your stat isn’t particularly logical.

He has made a whopping 4 shots from beyond the arc. What’s your point? You want him to shoot more?

My point is turner isnt somehow handicapped from taking outside shots like you said. The stats prove that.

Will Bailey be 2017 Lamonte Turner? Some people roasted me this summer for saying that he transferred to Tennessee and might not get as much playing time as he thought he would...
Well to answer that we would need to know how much PT he thought he would get? He averaged 11mpg over Oregon’s final 9 games, I think he will likely get more than that here.

Well to answer that we would need to know how much PT he thought he would get? He averaged 11mpg over Oregon’s final 9 games, I think he will likely get more than that here.
Prior to that he was averaging 22. If that’s what he’s expecting we’ll have to see how he manages to fit in with Springer and Keon in the fold. And that’s assuming JJ doesn’t really improve

VN Store

Back