'20 UY PG Santiago Vescovi (UT commit 11/22/19)

You said that’s why he isn’t playing the 2

No I didn’t.

You’re talking about his willingness to shoot jumpers, which I never alluded to.

I’m talking about a coaching decision to put him in a position (PG) where you get max EV from him considering his injury.

We are talking about different things.

No I didn’t.

You’re talking about his willingness to shoot jumpers, which I never alluded to.

I’m talking about a coaching decision to put him in a position (PG) where you get max EV from him considering his injury.

We are talking about different things.

Ok

If his shoulder is the issue he needs to cut back on the attempts regardless of him playing the 1 or 2

Tennessee added an intriguing piece to what was already one of the top 2020 recruiting classes in the nation today when international standout Santiago Vescovi gave the Vols a verbal commitment following his official visit to Knoxville. Vescovi (6-foot-3, 185 pounds) has an interesting back story to say the least. Originally from Uruguay, he currently attends the NBA Global Academy in Canberra, Australia. Tennessee found out about him this summer and initiated the recruiting process, which culminated in Vescovi and his parents (who still live in Uruguay, making the considerable effort to get to Knoxville and see what the Vols had to offer on this week’s official visit.)
Vescovi liked what he saw. “It really just felt like a good fit, between me, the players, the coaches, just everything about the program,” he said. “The players really welcomed me in and you can tell that everyone in the program from the coaches on down are like a family.” Like virtually every prospect that Barnes has landed in recent classes, Vescovi pointed out that he was impressed with what he learned about Tennessee’s player development and the Vols’ strength and conditioning program. “I really liked the strength coach (Garrett Mendenwald), I talked with him a lot about what I need to do to get better, get stronger and learned a lot about how the players they have there now and guys who just got drafted improved while they were at Tennessee. That was really appealing to me,” Vescovi said.
Vescovi plans to enroll in school in January. He will be immediately eligible to play though it’s not likely that he’ll take the court immediately upon arrival. “We’ll see how it goes, if the coaches feel like I can help the team then maybe I’ll play but if I need time to work on my game and learn the system then I’m fine if I redshirt and then I’ll be ready to go next year,” he said. Next year suddenly looks more exciting than ever for the Vols. Vescovi will fit in perfectly with a recruiting class that was ranked fourth in the nation before he committed. Jaden Springer is capable of operating as a lead guard, but he’s a monster scorer whose game should blend splendidly with Vescovi’s playmaking ability. The same goes for ultra-athletic wing man Keon Johnson and forward Corey Walker Jr.
Rick Barnes and his staff wanted to add another ball handler to this class, and in diving into the international waters to pluck out Vescovi they may have hit a home run. “I know all about the other guys coming in next year and it’s exciting to think about being a part of it,” Vescovi said. “I think with the players that are already here and the guys that are coming in we’re going to have a chance to do some really good things.” As an international prospect who hasn’t been seen much by anyone in the states Vescovi doesn’t have a rivals ranking at the moment but he is considered a top-100 caliber player with big time passing and playmaking ability.
-VQ

Prior to that he was averaging 22. If that’s what he’s expecting we’ll have to see how he manages to fit in with Springer and Keon in the fold. And that’s assuming JJ doesn’t really improve
I get he was averaging more prior, but I don’t think he transferred based on what happened the first 20 games, I think he transferred based on the last 10 and seeing a trend of where it was going.

Wonder how his English is. I think that was something that hindered Pons his first couple of years. I’ve noticed this in the NBA (guys like Doncic and Porzingis specifically) that guys who have good English skills seem to adapt to the NBA/college basketball quicker.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Wonder how his English is. I think that was something that hindered Pons his first couple of years. I’ve noticed this in the NBA (guys like Doncic and Porzingis specifically) that guys who have good English skills seem to adapt to the NBA/college basketball quicker.
VQ did in an interview with him, they said he’s very fluent unlike Pons was, mentioned like you did this is something that’s commonly overlooked when recruiting international kids.

Will Bailey be 2017 Lamonte Turner? Some people roasted me this summer for saying that he transferred to Tennessee and might not get as much playing time as he thought he would...
I member that! How long did the doctors keep the cast on?

My point is turner isnt somehow handicapped from taking outside shots like you said. The stats prove that.
I would say specifically that he is handicapped just beyond 15 feet and above, significantly so. And with chronic shoulder issues, he is more handicapped from 15 in than you might think. The shoulder is the anchor for the elbow, hand, and wrist. When that anchor is unstable, by nature, it affects the entirety.

I would say specifically that he is handicapped just beyond 15 feet and above, significantly so. And with chronic shoulder issues, he is more handicapped from 15 in than you might think. The shoulder is the anchor for the elbow, hand, and wrist. When that anchor is unstable, by nature, it affects the entirety.

I don’t doubt what you are saying but if that’s true he needs to stop firing it from outside of 15 so much. Right now he had 5 3pt attempts per game. That’s a lot for anyone much less one with an injury like you say

I don’t doubt what you are saying but if that’s true he needs to stop firing it from outside of 15 so much. Right now he had 5 3pt attempts per game. That’s a lot for anyone much less one with an injury like you say
I agree. His shot looks terrible from outside the arc, but he keeps gunning. Oddly enough, Barnes knows his shoulder is a factor, but he says "he'll get it straightened out."

Things change so fast, but next season is shaping up to be the most exciting basketball season ever. The 2007-08 and 2018-2019 teams may have had the most chemistry and expectations, but this upcoming team may have the most raw talent of any.
Jerry Green has the most talent in the history of the program and squandered it imo.

VN Store

Back