1st timer seeing the vols in neyland. Need advice.

Foggerman

Hello fellas. Like the title says. I’m going to try to take my family to see the vols play this fall. I’m looking at the South Carolina game. I’ve been a vols fan all my life. I’m 42 now. Went to high school with a guy who played on the 98 national champ team. My dad farmed growing up, so I was usually listening to the great John Ward on the radio in the combine, or grain buggy, or 18 wheeler. Anyways. What are some of the do’s and don’t’s about game day. Where is/are the best places to sit? Obviously Tennessee terrace, or the east or west club would be nice but I can’t afford that. Unless someone who has those tickets would sell them reasonably. Looking for something in the $100-$125/seat range. This will be all of our (me, wife, daughter, and son) first time ever to visit neyland stadium. I would like to have a good family friendly experience. Best place to park. Etc. etc. etc. if I’m leaving anything out please tell me. Thank you all. Go Vols.

Hello fellas. Like the title says. I’m going to try to take my family to see the vols play this fall. I’m looking at the South Carolina game. I’ve been a vols fan all my life. I’m 42 now. Went to high school with a guy who played on the 98 national champ team. My dad farmed growing up, so I was usually listening to the great John Ward on the radio in the combine, or grain buggy, or 18 wheeler. Anyways. What are some of the do’s and don’t’s about game day. Where is/are the best places to sit? Obviously Tennessee terrace, or the east or west club would be nice but I can’t afford that. Unless someone who has those tickets would sell them reasonably. Looking for something in the $100-$125/seat range. This will be all of our (me, wife, daughter, and son) first time ever to visit neyland stadium. I would like to have a good family friendly experience. Best place to park. Etc. etc. etc. if I’m leaving anything out please tell me. Thank you all. Go Vols.

I’m a fanatic and traditionalist. My favorite part of the stadium is the loudest part which in my opinion is generally the South Endzone. You couldn’t pay me to sit in the Tennessee terrace, that’s not Neyland to me. I doubt you’ll have trouble with tickets unless something miraculous happens and we are good. I’m happy for you getting to experience Neyland, words can’t describe what that stadium means to me. The pre game will give you chills

Do: arrive plenty early 5 maybe 6 hours early, you’ll want to have plenty of time to look around and take it all in

Do: Park at Calhoun’s. Sure it’s a bit of a walk, but you can take a gander down at all the boats there for the vol navy and maybe even get invited on one for a bit. Not many will mention this as there are closer or cheaper parking areas, but for the full game day experience. It’s hard to beat this parking

Do: Head over to volunteer village in Humanities Plaza, there will be games and maybe even photos with Smokey

Do: show up for the vol walk, it’s 2 hours and 15 minutes prior to kick off. Anywhere along Peyton Manning pass will get you some great views. Show up early if you want to get a front row seat (especially if you have small kids)

Do: Sample some of the food that vendors are cooking on Volunteer Blvd (at the top of Peyton Manning Pass on your right) it’s delicious and cheaper than feeding a hungry family in the stadium or if you’re following this lists order, it’ll be on your left coming from Humanities Plaza

Do: Have a hell of a time and sing Rocky Top

Seating: Assuming this game is either at noon or 3:00 then...

Avoid the south end zones upper deck like the plague (GG - QQ) it’s in the sun all day, and there’s no Jumbotron view.

If you want the best view in the house and don’t mind the sun, check out sections CC or DD. They’re upper deck but around the 50 yard line. It makes for an excellent view of the game and halftime show, but will be in the sun almost all game.

If shade and Jumbotron view are priority then the north end zone is your friend, especially the northwestern corner area (sections Y or X)

If you don’t care for being right on the field and want shade, Jumbotron views, and chair backs, look at sections XX or YY. The chairbacks are only in the top 20 or so rows, so you’ll be pretty high, but there truly isn’t a bad viewing seat in the house and these chairs are well worth it

Last edited:
Don’t sit in club seats! You will have a better time sitting any place in the lower bowl. The club seats are for people that golf clap and tell you to sit down if in front of them. The South Carolina game is a good one to start with if you never been. Order your tickets through the ticket office as soon as single game tickets go on sale and you will get them for face value which will be cheaper than $125.

Do: arrive plenty early 5 maybe 6 hours early, you’ll want to have plenty of times to look around and take it all in

Do: Park at Calhoun’s. Sure it’s a bit of a walk, but you can take a gander down at all the boats there for the vol navy and maybe even get invited on one for a bit. Not many will mention this as there are closer or cheaper parking areas, but for the full game day experience. It’s hard to beat this parking

Do: Head over to volunteer village in Humanities Plaza, there will be games and maybe even photos with Smokey

Do: show up for the vol walk, it’s 2 hours and 15 minutes prior to kick off. Anywhere along Peyton Manning pass will get you some great views. Show up early if you want to get a front row seat (especially if you have small kids)

Do: Sample some of the food that vendors are cooking on Volunteer Blvd (at the top of Peyton Manning Pass on your right) it’s delicious and cheaper than feeding a hungry family in the stadium or if you’re following this lists order, it’ll be on your left coming from Humanities Plaza

Avoid the south end zones upper deck like the plague (GH - QQ) it’s in the sun all day, and there’s no Jumbotron view.

If you want the best view in the house and don’t mind the sun, check out sections CC or DD. They’re upper deck but around the 50 yard line. It makes for an excellent view of the game and halftime show, but will be in the sun almost all game.

If shade and Jumbotron view are priority then the north end zone is your friend, especially the northwestern corner area (sections Y or X)

If you don’t care for being right on the field and want shade, Jumbotron views, and chair backs, look at sections XX or YY. The chairbacks are only in the top 20 or so rows, so you’ll be pretty high, but there truly isn’t a base viewing seat in the house and these chairs are well worth it
The Vol Navy is a must to see especially for someone that’s never seen it in person. And along the walk take in the atmosphere of Vol Country between Calhouns and the Stadium. And OP must eat at Calhouns either before or after the game.

Do: arrive plenty early 5 maybe 6 hours early, you’ll want to have plenty of times to look around and take it all in

Avoid the south end zones upper deck like the plague (GH - QQ) it’s in the sun all day, and there’s no Jumbotron view.

If you don’t care for being right on the field and want shade, Jumbotron views, and chair backs, look at sections XX or YY. The chairbacks are only in the top 20 or so rows, so you’ll be pretty high, but there truly isn’t a base viewing seat in the house and these chairs are well worth it
I try to sit in XX or YY sections every time I go to a game. I just generally love those two sections.

Agree with all...except..we like to park on the Cumberland Ave side...now the strip aint as fun as it was 25 years ago but i still enjoy the atmosphere and the walk in.

We used to park and tailgate in the parking garage directly in front of Calhoun's but have found parking there every few years is good for us on that side.

The walk up the river is cool though

Last edited:
Reactions: HalfullVol

This is brilliant! Very well thought out.
From the practical stuff like parking and sunlight, to making it an all day experience, this post is right on.
He is right about the sunlight. I dont know what time of year the game is but as a reds fan, about 10 people per game were being taken away in ambulances from heat stroke if they play a day game in the summer. Those red seats in a stadium with little shade is brutal. Hot sweaty kids and wife are not always happy.
I would say the only thing he didnt cover was how old are your kids and is there a more kid friendly section or sections. If there teenagers take them in the student section. The vibes are cool. You will dance, sing, high five strangers, but you may never see the game if your not standing.
On a budget, pack a lunch and some drinks and eat before you go in.
Also not a bad idea to stay somewhere near or in Knoxville. After an all day affair a drive long drive will suck..

I like sitting on West side, under the overhang of the upper deck if possible. No sunburn on one side of your face and no rain. The West side is more tame and has much less chance of wanting to cover the kids ears after every bad play.
I take a small pair binoculars if you end up in the upper deck or in one of the endzones. I personally like watching the players pre-game and watching plays develop, up close, at the line of scrimmage. If you don't want to tote them, you won't miss them.
Do not not do the upper deck on the East side.
Go online and read the Neyland stadium rules on what you can't bring in. Purses and bags have specific restrictions.
Otherwise, everything VFLCodyGBO is right on. Go early and take it all in. If the Vols are doing well, going into the game, the electricity of the crowd is indescribable. The team running through the "T", with the crowd going wild, will give you goosebumps. Wooooo!!!

Ahh, you'll have a blast! I think it's borderline spiritual being surrounded by so many people in orange, and it makes whatever you decide to do, fun. I'd use this first trip to adventure around town (come prepared to walk a lot) and make note of what you want to do the next time. My family basically has a tradition of showing up early, grabbing drinks and food somewhere, and watching the pregame activities. Other people tailgate. Other people show up at kickoff. It's all fun, enjoy!

This is brilliant! Very well thought out.
From the practical stuff like parking and sunlight, to making it an all day experience, this post is right on.
He is right about the sunlight. I dont know what time of year the game is but as a reds fan, about 10 people per game were being taken away in ambulances from heat stroke if they play a day game in the summer. Those red seats in a stadium with little shade is brutal. Hot sweaty kids and wife are not always happy.
I would say the only thing he didnt cover was how old are your kids and is there a more kid friendly section or sections. If there teenagers take them in the student section. The vibes are cool. You will dance, sing, high five strangers, but you may never see the game if your not standing.
On a budget, pack a lunch and some drinks and eat before you go in.
Also not a bad idea to stay somewhere near or in Knoxville. After an all day affair a drive long drive will suck..

I also agree with VFLCodyGBO, but solid point in this one as well. Age of kids makes a HUGE difference in your experience.
Took mine to the all day experience when mine were 8 & 6, youngest one never made it to the end of the game, and mom was miserable dealing with hot, tired kiddos.

If late afternoon game Northwest corner is first to get shade and its a 20 degree swing instantly, I've sit in Y7 for the last 8 years and there some games I find myself watching the shade come in more than the game during some of the earlier games.

We live in West TN, and usually drive up Friday and stay in Turkey Creek area, and if you don't want to fight traffic you can head to catch a shuttle @ Farragut H.S. and they drop you off in front of the stadium. a lot less stressful especially if your wife is anything like mine.

our area is pretty family friendly and when/if someone gets out of line there are several older ones there that tend to straighten them out, and that's probably in most areas.

We aren't drinkers but from what I've heard if you are, and plan on drinking at the game record it at the house, you'll spend most of your time in line.

Park at calhouns (or somewhere on the river), come up through G10 to the stadium. If you do, you’re more than welcome to swing by my tailgate (or I’m sure any number of people would be glad to host you). I’m always up for entertaining first-timers.

I dont think tickets will be a problem.

IMO, Best places to sit are on the West sideline (youre not in the sun) or North End zone ( not directly looking into the sun and you have great view of the jumbotron) East sideline can get hotter than hell and South end zone is very cramped and no video replays from many seats

Without parking pass, the best place to park now is in one of the downtown Knoxville parking garages. i started parking in one near (about a block or two away) Market Square a few years ago and has been very good and reasonable. Reasonable walk to the stadium. Pretty easy out after the game also to I-40.

Market Square has several good places to eat and drink before the game. Its a reasonable walk to the stadium from Market Square. (Be sure the take the walking bridge across Henley Street, I believe, in front of Holiday Inn, it will save time at the red light) The Cumberland Strip used to be the place but its lost its character, IMO.

Im a Williamson County guy so I come in from the west. Maybe the locals can add but they mostly have their routines down pat and their perspective might not be logical for someone out of town coming in. I hope you enjoy the game and Go Vols.

I recommend sitting in the north endzone upper deck to people taking a family, especially if some of them are not huge fans. The theater style chairs are worth it and are much more comfortable than the bleachers.

Plus you get to see the video board clearly........and if they win the fireworks too.

I have never had a bad experience going to the game. The atmosphere is electric and my family always had a blast. If you and your family are okay with a lot of walking then I suggest to get there early and take in all the pre-game activities. Great post because this is one of the first posts I have viewed all the comments without having to read some idiot insulting some for their opinion. Have a great time and keep hydrated if it's a hot GameDay!

When I was a student I would park in the bottom of Worlds Fair Park. It’s usually 10-20$ and not a bad walk

I have no answers, but thank you for sharing your story. Very cool to envision.

VN Store

Back