1990, 1992, 2001

The 01 game was not as close as the score and we came out of the gate with a lot of physicality and never let up.

They were a 2 pt conversion away from tying right at the end of the game and if my memory serves we were lucky to not have PI called on it. I'd say it was pretty close.

2001 game against UF was Chavis' "Prowler" defense, which was actually hella fun to watch. .... Can't remember that we ever whipped out that defense again, but it sure helped having Haynesworth and Henderson on the front line.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
The 2001 UF game was a great one. If not for Stephens, we would have gotten blown out badly. Clausen sucked in that game.

Reactions: tango
The 2001 UF game was a great one. If not for Stephens, we would have gotten blown out badly. Clausen sucked in that game.
That is not true. I think the freshmen (Houston and Davis) could have run through those holes that he had that night. We whipped them at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball... especially the right side of our offensive line. Clausen didn't throw the ball much that night... Witten hurt us early with some drops (one led to a turnover). Also, Florida got a couple of breaks from the refs. They got away with an obvious fumble just before kicking their last field goal to make the score 27-26. I remember that game like it was yesterday. Tennessee was the better team.

If I remember correctly we played aggressively against Florida in these games and didn’t lay off the gas until the clock was zero. Seems like outside of these games TN has played very conservatively and tried ‘not to lose’ rather than just going for it. Even our favorite 98 game was a pretty conservative and cautious game plan. Would love to see us just flat out go for it this Saturday like we did in these three games. Nobody expects us to win anyway so why not try and aggressively attack Florida instead of being afraid of making mistakes (which we always do anyway). The 01 game was not as close as the score and we came out of the gate with a lot of physicality and never let up. Would love to see that mentality again.

In '98, the turnovers Fla had is what helped us win that game. Same with the '01 game. But, Fulmer and Co. was just as conservative then as they always were. I did enjoy seeing Stephens run all over them in '01, however.

If you look at CLK in '09, he ran the clock and was conservative against Florida and Bama. That kept the score close and, at least for Bama, gave us a chance to win. They do that against vastly superior teams so the end score isn't as bad.

In '98, the turnovers Fla had is what helped us win that game. Same with the '01 game. But, Fulmer and Co. was just as conservative then as they always were. I did enjoy seeing Stephens run all over them in '01, however.

If you look at CLK in '09, he ran the clock and was conservative against Florida and Bama. That kept the score close and, at least for Bama, gave us a chance to win. They do that against vastly superior teams so the end score isn't as bad.
Some of you guys simply don't remember the 2001 game very well. In the 2001 game, Florida only had 1 turnover while Tennessee had 3. As I mentioned in an above post, Rex Grossman got away with an obvious fumble just before Florida kicked a long field goal to make the score 27-26. Grossman was ruled down by sack before losing possession of the ball, but replays showed that wasn't the case at all. Todd Blackledge made a big point of it during the CBS broadcast. Tennessee won the game because they whipped Florida at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Tennessee had 242 yards rushing, while Florida had 36 yards rushing. We were in Grossman's face all night.

Reactions: DAVOL and tango
They were a 2 pt conversion away from tying right at the end of the game and if my memory serves we were lucky to not have PI called on it. I'd say it was pretty close.
...and that is not accurate either. That wasn't close to pass interference. Again, if you are looking to complain about officiating? You should start with the Grossman sack/fumble just before they kicked their last field goal.

...and that is not accurate either. That wasn't close to pass interference. Again, if you are looking to complain about officiating? You should start with the Grossman sack/fumble just before they kicked their last field goal.

the backwards "forward pass" was a pretty egregious miss by the refs, too.

the backwards "forward pass" was a pretty egregious miss by the refs, too.
You are exactly right. I'm not going to let people who don't remember that game very well, disparage that victory. There was nothing lucky about that win in 2001. We even overcame some terrible calls that went against us. We earned that victory in the trenches. Tennessee was the better team that night.

I remembered being so happy in the first half of the 1995 game. I went outside at halftime and got into a pickup basketball game that got away from me and ran back in to see UF go ahead. Not long after I wished I had stayed outside playing basketball.

There wasn't anything conservative about the game plan in 1995. We just couldn't cover anybody and Jay Graham's two fumbles kept us from keeping pace with them. They couldn't stop us in the first half.
From halftime of 95 game until halftime of 96 game UF outscored us 76-7.

Reactions: FLVOL_79

I'll still agree it wasn't conservative. It just stopped working/we stopped executing. In 1995 I think it was we punched them in the mouth, they staggered and then punched back and we didn't recover. In 1996 we punched and whiffed, and they punched us about 5 times in a row then dodged until the final bell rang.

Yes, I remember. I left the '96 game when it was 35-0 and there was still about 10 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter. Jay Graham had 3 fumbles during that stretch and they all led directly (and quickly) to Florida touchdowns. We could never cover either Ike Hilliard or Reidel Anthony. Our corners were like blind mice in those games.

Reactions: Bigun
I'll still agree it wasn't conservative. It just stopped working/we stopped executing. In 1995 I think it was we punched them in the mouth, they staggered and then punched back and we didn't recover. In 1996 we punched and whiffed, and they punched us about 5 times in a row then dodged until the final bell rang.
As I recall, our first play from scrimmage in '95 was a bomb to Joey Kent who had burned Anthone Lott. We scored on the next play. We weren't conservative at all in '95. Jeff Hall missed his first extra point and then missed a chip shot field goal on our first possession of the 3rd quarter... and Jay Graham's first fumble was on first down when we were about to score. We left so many points on the field in '95. That should have been a much closer game.

Yes, I remember. I left the '96 game when it was 35-0 and there was still about 10 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter. Jay Graham had 3 fumbles during that stretch and they all led directly (and quickly) to Florida touchdowns. We could never cover either Ike Hilliard or Reidel Anthony. Our corners were like blind mice in those games.

I always hear folks say the Vols never recovered or just scored a bunch of points in the second half after being way behind. However, if they recover the onside kick after the last TD, the Vols would have won that game.

Both teams have some QB issues on Saturday.

Florida will be starting their backup QB.

We don't have a starting or backup SEC QB on the roster.

Advantage: Florida, I believe.

I always hear folks say the Vols never recovered or just scored a bunch of points in the second half after being way behind. However, if they recover the onside kick after the last TD, the Vols would have won that game.
No we wouldn't, or else it would had to have been a hail mary as there was something like 15 seconds left.

We could seemingly never cover their WRs period, almost no matter the year.

From 1990-01, I'm not sure there was a single year where Florida had more talent on the field than Tennessee. In fact, there were some years there where Tennessee was arguably more talented. Just look at QB - Shuler and Manning were more talented than Danny Wuerffel. Yet we went 4-8 against Spurrier. The Fulmer/Spurrier battle is one of the quintessential cases of a coach getting in another coach's head; I think Spurrier baffled, confused, and intimidated Phil, and that flowed down to the rest of the team. If your head coach is confused and intimidated, imagine how the players must be.

Reactions: PhoenixAZVol
How many games has Pruitt actually had his team coming out of the gate strong?

And I dont consider these glorified scrimmages like UTC much of a game.

If I remember correctly we played aggressively against Florida in these games and didn’t lay off the gas until the clock was zero. Seems like outside of these games TN has played very conservatively and tried ‘not to lose’ rather than just going for it. Even our favorite 98 game was a pretty conservative and cautious game plan. Would love to see us just flat out go for it this Saturday like we did in these three games. Nobody expects us to win anyway so why not try and aggressively attack Florida instead of being afraid of making mistakes (which we always do anyway). The 01 game was not as close as the score and we came out of the gate with a lot of physicality and never let up. Would love to see that mentality again.
Majors was an optimistic,beligerent, glorious football coach who really didn't seem to be afraid of the moment. That's the difference compared to recent years

VN Store

Back