1990, 1992, 2001

PhoenixAZVol

If I remember correctly we played aggressively against Florida in these games and didn’t lay off the gas until the clock was zero. Seems like outside of these games TN has played very conservatively and tried ‘not to lose’ rather than just going for it. Even our favorite 98 game was a pretty conservative and cautious game plan. Would love to see us just flat out go for it this Saturday like we did in these three games. Nobody expects us to win anyway so why not try and aggressively attack Florida instead of being afraid of making mistakes (which we always do anyway). The 01 game was not as close as the score and we came out of the gate with a lot of physicality and never let up. Would love to see that mentality again.

If I remember correctly we played aggressively against Florida in these games and didn’t lay off the gas until the clock was zero. Seems like outside of these games TN has played very conservatively and tried ‘not to lose’ rather than just going for it. Even our favorite 98 game was a pretty conservative and cautious game plan. Would love to see us just flat out go for it this Saturday like we did in these three games. Nobody expects us to win anyway so why not try and aggressively attack Florida instead of being afraid of making mistakes (which we always do anyway). The 01 game was not as close as the score and we came out of the gate with a lot of physicality and never let up. Would love to see that mentality again.

Yeah. What do we have to lose? This year of all years, the Vols should come out and just play loose, take chances, play to win. No sense playing not to lose this year, that will just get us stomped.

Whilst in college, multiple players told me that Fulmer psyched the team out prior to the Florida game (I know, Cool story bro).

He sure psyched them up in 2001, there is a Youtube of his pregame speech somewhere. Might have been his finest moment. Wish he coulda done that more, but hey, his record against them is still much better than since. 5-10, but prior to the Urban era it was 5-7, which is actually respectable even though I know for a fact he should have won 3-4 more against SOS and Zook. 2002 and 1999 for sure, and probably 1997 and 2000 as well.

Reactions: VFL21 and jeff1vol
He sure psyched them up in 2001, there is a Youtube of his pregame speech somewhere. Might have been his finest moment. Wish he coulda done that more, but hey, his record against them is still much better than since. 5-10, but prior to the Urban era it was 5-7, which is actually respectable even though I know for a fact he should have won 3-4 more against SOS and Zook. 2002 and 1999 for sure, and probably 1997 and 2000 as well.

No way in heck we should have won in 02. I was at that game. It looked like we had never practiced the Center QB exchange with a wet ball.

There wasn't anything conservative about the game plan in 1995. We just couldn't cover anybody and Jay Graham's two fumbles kept us from keeping pace with them. They couldn't stop us in the first half.

Reactions: BanditVol
No way in heck we should have won in 02. I was at that game. It looked like we had never practiced the Center QB exchange with a wet ball.
We still had the talent to win that game. Fulmer probably lost a few games because he did not fire a couple of assistant coaches when they needed to be fired. He was very loyal to his coaches which was certainly different than Majors who either fired or had at least one assistant coach leave almost every year. Majors appeared to be difficult to work for/with. I think he would have won more games if his coaching staff had been more stable.

I would add 2016 to that. Tennessee got behind and came roaring back. Gators had no answer for Dobbs and our receivers.
Problem is, we don't have anyone on offense that really scares anyone to the point of taking a LB spy that tilts the field...so, they can play us straight up, rush 3-4 and play everyone else honest. I get that Crouch is coming on at LB, and the reason we landed him was Pruitt's vision to have him be an all american at LB, but, to me, he'd be the closest thing to striking fear in the competition to see that dude coming at you, when our OL has started to do better opening holes. Heck, use him like we used Carl Pickens...let him keep his "day job" at LB, but use him in certain situations at RB when we need a battering ram for short yardage...which has clearly been a weakness for the first few games.

I don’t know if we have that next level in us from an ability stand point. I honestly thing we ARE stepping on the gas. It’s just at the moment, we’re a 4 cylinder Kia trying to climb a mountain.

Reactions: Ledzepvol

Hm. Well that's my point, Casey should not have fumbled that much, and after the second fumble Fulmer should have benched his ass for a series IMO. Exactly what I mean by "we should have won", there was no excuse for that.

Im cool with Al Wilson coming in before the game and psyching the players up............kinda like halftime in 98'. Heck.......I'm cool if he smacks some guys around to get them pumped if he has too.....(scout team preferably)
If Pruitt cannot fire his team up enough to want run through walls and eat nails, he needs to accept that and bring someone in who can. Maybe it's the like of Al Wilson or maybe Fitzgerald. Whoever it takes, they need come play with the Mike Tyson mentality of "swinging with bad intentions". Punch them in the mouth and make them forget their plan.

There wasn't anything conservative about the game plan in 1995. We just couldn't cover anybody and Jay Graham's two fumbles kept us from keeping pace with them. They couldn't stop us in the first half.

The two fumbles were back breakers. Seems like it was the first two possessions of the second half and allowed UF to get all of the momentum. Plus, I remember reading somewhere that Spurrier said he found the mismatch late in the first half and told his team at half time, they won't stop us again......and they didn't.

Last edited:

01 we ran it down their throats and we also were 18 point dogs..One of my all time in person favorite fan moments..Right up there with the Miracle at South Bend

The two fumbles were back breakers. Seems like it was the first two possessions of the second half and allowed UF to get all of the momentum. Plus, I remember reading somewhere that Spurrier said he found the mismatch late in the first half and told his team at half time, they won't stop us again......and they didn't.

We were up 30-14. Allowing them score a TD before the half, the first half drive stalling inside the redzone and then missing a chipshot FG, and then Graham's fumble caused the momentum wave that killed us.

We were up 30-14. Allowing them score a TD before the half, the first half drive stalling inside the redzone and then missing a chipshot FG, and then Graham's fumble caused the momentum wave that killed us.

He fumbled twice early in the second half. Once inside the red zone and the second one was on the other end of the field. Forgot about missing the FG, that was Vols' first drive of the second half. After those 3 empty trips, the avalanche fell on the Vols.

He fumbled twice early in the second half. Once inside the red zone and the second one was on the other end of the field. Forgot about missing the FG, that was Vols' first drive of the second half. After those 3 empty trips, the avalanche fell on the Vols.

Then it started raining a little bit.

Reactions: Backwards K
Whilst in college, multiple players told me that Fulmer psyched the team out prior to the Florida game (I know, Cool story bro).

Majors used to do the same during Bama week. 87, 89, 90, and 91 are some of the years that come to mind.

VN Store

Back