1989 UCLA game

That game started about a 16 year run of great football. Coming off a 5-6 season, we went out there and absolutely beat the crap out of those guys. Between the Cobb-Webb combo and that o-line, that was about as good as it gets as far as a running game.

That game started about a 16 year run of great football. Coming off a 5-6 season, we went out there and absolutely beat the crap out of those guys. Between the Cobb-Webb combo and that o-line, that was about as good as it gets as far as a running game.
Marion hobby ended up being a beast iron man from iron dale Alabama he killed Auburn that year

Coming off a 5-6 season in which we won the last 5 games after starting 0-6.

There where alot a great players on that team. i was a freshman in highschool at that time I remember listening to the game on the radio.carl pickens Vaughn Reeves a solid foundation for years to come. I think we are building a great foundation now so maybe our next big run is on the verge of happening again

There where alot a great players on that team. i was a freshman in highschool at that time I remember listening to the game on the radio.carl pickens Vaughn Reeves a solid foundation for years to come. I think we are building a great foundation now so maybe our next big run is on the verge of happening again

Agree with the great players....I would argue that the offensive line which consisted of Antone Davis, John Fisher, Charles McRae, Tom Myslinski, and Eric Still was as good as any offensive line that UT has ever put on the field at the same time.

JJ Mcclusky(SP?), jumping 20 feet in the air and snaggin that INT in the end zone....they came to Knoxville in 90, my 1st game I saw after my Navy days!

I was a SR in HS living in Charlotte, NC. I was able to listen to the game through my TV. Somehow, back then you could pick up AM signals through cable TV and I found the game on a channel.

I went to that game with one of my best friends. American Express had a card for students that included a voucher for a round trip ticket on Northwest Airlines for $99. Back then, there was no internet, so we found a hotel through a travel agent on Sunset Blvd and somehow I was able to rent a car as a 21 year old college student.

We pick up our car at the airport and deck it out with stickers (no magnets back then) and car flags. With the talk of 10,000 TN fans going to the game, we were convinced that our entire drive through LA would be a succession TN fans waving and honking horns..... I don't think we saw a single fan of any college.

We get to our hotel expecting movie stars and glitter not realizing that the "Sunset Strip" may be on Sunset Blvd, but Sunset Blvd is not the "Sunset Strip". The only good thing about that hotel was the fresh coat of white paint and the sense of security we got from having bars on the windows. Definitely no TN fans.

Venice Beach was going to be our big splash into the LA scene. But instead of beautiful, bikini clad women everywhere, it was full of (or it seemed) drug addicts and homeless people. The beach was empty (granted it was midday Friday) and planned swim in the Pacific turned into a toe dip - that water was colder than any trout stream in East Tennessee.

We got to the Rose Bowl early. Little or no tailgating, and the the stadium was old and looked near to collapse. Inside, the corner stands we were put in were wooden benches that reminded me of the old days of my dad coaching Tyson Jr. High.

But as usual, the TN fans started, and kept, rolling in. Though it is a terrible layout, there is a lot of room in the Rose Bowl, and they had us crammed in to our little section.

UCLA was heavily favored in that game and it was on national television (a big deal in 1989, ESPN I think). The UCLA fans were fairly sparse and low key to start the game. Not so with the Tennessee fans. I believe for certain that our fans were huge in TN winning that game. The UCLA fans acted like they were at a tennis match, but not so for the TN fans. We were loud and continuous for the whole game and as a crowd (and of course the football team), we dominated that game. I knew several of the players and they all said that the crowd completely surprised them and they fed off of the crowd more and more as the game went on. I spoke to several UCLA fans after the game and everyone of them said they had never seen or heard anything like that in the Rose Bowl.

Next to the 1986 Sugar Bowl, that was the best away game I ever went to.

Last edited:
UCLA was ranked #6 the attendnace for the game was only 55,000!!!! Can you imagine a SEC team that was a top ten team and the fans at like LSU are like....."naaaaah, I'll read the results in the paper."

PAC football always has sucked BIG TIME outside of USC till about 2010 and now Oregon has taken the mantle and is the only team anyone cares about... Well Washington has a decent fan base and has good attendance for their stadium.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Coming off a 5-6 season in which we won the last 5 games after starting 0-6.
It’s staggering to look at what happened to the program after October 1988. Went from an 0-5 start to a top 10 team in basically one calendar year.

Watching 1989 UCLA game some of my favorite players on the 89 team. Reggie Cobb chuck webb Thomas woods terance Cleveland one of the best offensive lines in Tennessee football . Chuck webb dominates this game.

A close friend of mine, who also went to UT after playing 2 years of junior college baseball, and I had a great experience with that UCLA game. We'd gone to the Colorado State game the previous week, and we played sluggish, uninspired football. I think the score was 17-14. On the drive home, we couldn't explain it, but we both were confident that UCLA was going to get hammered by the Vols the next weekend.

We boarded my Dad's pontoon boat with nothing but a quart of Jack Daniel's (when it was still 90 proof), two glasses, and John Ward on the radio. We left the dock right at kick-off. I never got above 5 miles per hour all the way to Tims Ford Dam (from Boiling Fork Creek in Winchester). Got to the dam, turned around and went back home. Arrived back as the game was ending. A classic John Ward called game..........and not a drop of JD remained.

I went to that game with one of my best friends. American Express had a card for students that included a voucher for a round trip ticket on Northwest Airlines for $99. Back then, there was no internet, so we found a hotel through a travel agent on Sunset Blvd and somehow I was able to rent a car as a 21 year old college student.

We pick up our car at the airport and deck it out with stickers (no magnets back then) and car flags. With the talk of 10,000 TN fans going to the game, we were convinced that our entire drive through LA would be a succession TN fans waving and honking horns..... I don't think we saw a single fan of any college.

We get to our hotel expecting movie stars and glitter not realizing that the "Sunset Strip" may be on Sunset Blvd, but Sunset Blvd is not the "Sunset Strip". The only good thing about that hotel was the fresh coat of white paint and the sense of security we got from having bars on the windows. Definitely no TN fans.

Venice Beach was going to be our big splash into the LA scene. But instead of beautiful, bikini clad women everywhere, it was full of (or it seemed) drug addicts and homeless people. The beach was empty (granted it was midday Friday) and planned swim in the Pacific turned into a toe dip - that water was colder than any trout stream in East Tennessee.

We got to the Rose Bowl early. Little or no tailgating, and the the stadium was old and looked near to collapse. Inside, the corner stands we were put in were wooden benches that reminded me of the old days of my dad coaching Tyson Jr. High.

But as usual, the TN fans started, and kept, rolling in. Though it is a terrible layout, there is a lot of room in the Rose Bowl, and they had us crammed in to our little section.

UCLA was heavily favored in that game and it was on national television (a big deal in 1989, ESPN I think). The UCLA fans were fairly sparse and low key to start the game. Not so with the Tennessee fans. I believe for certain that our fans were huge in TN winning that game. The UCLA fans acted like they were at a tennis match, but not so for the TN fans. We were loud and continuous for the whole game and as a crowd (and of course the football team), we dominated that game. I knew several of the players and they all said that the crowd completely surprised them and they fed off of the crowd more and more as the game went on. I spoke to several UCLA fans after the game and everyone of them said they had never seen or heard anything like that in the Rose Bowl.

Next to the 1986 Sugar Bowl, that was the best away game I ever went to.

That game was on Pay Per View rather than ESPN. Attendance was 54,316.

Reactions: onevol74
My brother had a investment company meeting there that week and he stayed and went to the game....5 minutes into the game they came back from a commercial break and the camera's panned the UT section and there my brother was on the front row waving a UT pom pom.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
JJ Mcclusky(SP?), jumping 20 feet in the air and snaggin that INT in the end zone....they came to Knoxville in 90, my 1st game I saw after my Navy days!
That was actually 1991 back in Knoxville. It was the hottest football game I ever attended including all the scorchers in FL (like last year). People were taking turns standing in front of the ice chest right outside our section. It was H. O. T. Bob Neal from TBS at the open even mentions how hot it was.. They said Kick Off temp was 90. It was a lot hotter than that in the stands. A great game for all to watch today. Check out where Pride of the Southland is located. On the 40 behind the UCLA bench

Last edited:
That was actually 1991 back in Knoxville it was the hottest football game I ever attended including all the scorchers in FL (like last year). people were taking turns standing in front of the ice chest right outside our section. It was H. O. T.Bob Neal from TBS at the open even mentions how hot it was..They said Kick Off temp was 90. It was a lot hotter than that in the stands. A great game for all to watch today
I was there too. It was so miserable that at halftime we retreated to the concourse to get out of the sun. I'm pretty sure that was the day that Smokey ended up with heat exhaustion. When a coondog passes out, it's HOT!

Reactions: Tnphil

VN Store

Back