1971 Sugar Bowl

I loved watching Curt Watson run the football. Miss those days. Also, I noticed that Fulmer did not start that game. Anyone know why?

Reactions: feathersax
#bringbackthewishbone

I know UT never ran it, but..................
Yes we did. 1975 and 1976. I watched nearly every game as I was in school then. Moved Stanley Morgan to the backfield to try to make it work. They nicknamed it the “Tennessee T”. It was not very productive. We took our most explosive player who wasn’t very big and got him beat up as a RB. He constantly had ankle problems. If Battle had kept him as a WR I think his last two years might have gone a lot better.

Reactions: feathersax
Yes we did. 1975 and 1976. I watched nearly every game as I was in school then. Moved Stanley Morgan to the backfield to try to make it work. They nicknamed it the “Tennessee T”. It was not very productive. We took our most explosive player who wasn’t very big and got him beat up as a RB. He constantly had ankle problems. If Battle had kept him as a WR I think his last two years might have gone a lot better.
I stand corrected...................I saw a few games then as a 5-6 year old. Obviously didn't really know what was going on scheme wise. Good call!

I heard we hired a bunch of recruiters once and it worked out great.
Both are important. I'm not dogging our 2022 recruiting, I think we're doing the best we can, but unlike some others I do think the rankings on the whole mean something. There are hits and misses certainly but 20 years of evidence validates the importance of recruiting rankings when it comes to winning at a high level consistently.

Both are important. I'm not dogging our 2022 recruiting, I think we're doing the best we can, but unlike some others I do think the rankings on the whole mean something. There are hits and misses certainly but 20 years of evidence validates the importance of recruiting rankings when it comes to winning at a high level consistently.
I just remember the droning narrative about Tracy Rocker. We’d get posters declaring to hire a recruiter because coaching and teaching could be glossed over. We have an elite recruiter at that position now who has been underrated as a fundamentals teacher. We don’t need to get to 20
years in 3 calendar months. We have talent. Coach it up for the recruits to see and they’ll sign up. It works.

I just remember the droning narrative about Tracy Rocker. We’d get posters declaring to hire a recruiter because coaching and teaching could be glossed over. We have an elite recruiter at that position now who has been underrated as a fundamentals teacher. We don’t need to get to 20
years in 3 calendar months. We have talent. Coach it up for the recruits to see and they’ll sign up. It works.
Rocker moving on turned out to be a disaster. I always have respect for anyone who was that good of a player. For present purposes coaching them up is certainly a must.

Win more games with them than Dickey ever did

Dickey took over the program with only scout team qBs (those there to run opponents plays in practice) on the roster. Only Heupel is facing a bigger challenge, yet Dickey was competing with Bear in yr 2 with soph QBs

Dickey took over the program with only scout team qBs (those there to run opponents plays in practice) on the roster. Only Heupel is facing a bigger challenge, yet Dickey was competing with Bear in yr 2 with soph QBs

I’d say that Dickey had better QB’s than Battle.

Each had Bobby Scott.
Dickey had Dewey Warren and Bubba Wyche
Battle had Condredge Holloway and Randy Wallace and won 10 games with Jim Maxwell.

Just saying..........

I’d say that Dickey had better QB’s than Battle.

Each had Bobby Scott.
Dickey had Dewey Warren and Bubba Wyche
Battle had Condredge Holloway and Randy Wallace and won 10 games with Jim Maxwell.

Just saying..........

As usual, you’re too thick headed to understand my point.

My point is when Battle took over in 1970, he had a Bobby Scott and a great offensive team already on campus. Dickey inherited nothing like that. The 1963 team basically ran the single wing offense before Dickey took over in ‘64.

As usual, you’re too thick headed to understand my point.

My point is when Battle took over in 1970, he had a Bobby Scott and a great offensive team already on campus. Dickey inherited nothing like that. The 1963 team basically ran the single wing offense before Dickey took over in ‘64.
Thick headed?

You said Dickey had scout team QB’s
All I said is he had better QBs than Battle as a whole.

And yes.....Battle had more talent to start with than Dickey. Never said he didn’t.

Thick headed?

You said Dickey had scout team QB’s
All I said is he had better QBs than Battle as a whole.

When Dickey took over the program in Dec 1963, Tennessee did not have a true T formation QB on campus as a varsity player. They had ran the single wing offense the 1963 season. Dickey had to recruit someone who could actually play QB. He signed Fulton & Warren. Both were Sophs in 1965. He played 1964 with Hal Wantland (leftover wingback) & senior Art Glaffia (sp) as QB

Battle on the other hand had a successful offensive system in place with great talent. Two completely different starting points, plus Battle’s teams played 11 regular season games plus bowls while Dickeys teams only played 10 plus a bowl. This makes your comment about Battle winning more with Dickeys players than Dickey did pretty dumb.

Even Dickey admitted he left the best team he had at Tennessee behind when he left for Florida.

When Dickey took over the program in Dec 1963, Tennessee did not have a true T formation QB on campus as a varsity player. They had ran the single wing offense the 1963 season. Dickey had to recruit someone who could actually play QB. He signed Fulton & Warren. Both were Sophs in 1965. He played 1964 with Hal Wantland (leftover wingback) & senior Art Glaffia (sp) as QB

Battle on the other hand had a successful offensive system in place with great talent. Two completely different starting points, plus Battle’s teams played 11 regular season games plus bowls while Dickeys teams only played 10 plus a bowl. This makes your comment about Battle winning more with Dickeys players than Dickey did pretty dumb.

Even Dickey admitted he left the best team he had at Tennessee behind when he left for Florida.
Dumb it all you want.
Numbers don’t lie.
Dickey never won 10 games with his own players....Battle did with Dickey’s players and his own players. No matter how many games they played.

I personally think Dickey wasn’t all that. Not saying Battle was either.

Dumb it all you want.
Numbers don’t lie.
Dickey never won 10 games with his own players....Battle did with Dickey’s players and his own players. No matter how many games they played.

I personally think Dickey wasn’t all that. Not saying Battle was either.

Nothing special about 2SEC championships in his last 3 years?

Beating Alabama & Bear 3 yrs in a row?

Beating #1 Alabama with your 3rd string QB?

Nothing special about pulling teams together after facing overwhelming tragedy?

You weren’t even alive then. Your bread is still not done.

Reactions: ptcarter
Win more games with them than Dickey ever did

Battle was a great coach on the field but, he made the comment that he didn't enjoy recruiting and it showed. If the Vols had hired Majors when they hired Battle, the late 70s and 80s would have been a lot different. Dickey left the Vols on top of the SEC in talent and Majors would have broken the bank by signing about 125 players a year (that's what he did at Pitt) and kept the Vols at a high level for years to come.

Nothing special about 2SEC championships in his last 3 years?

Beating Alabama & Bear 3 yrs in a row?

Beating #1 Alabama with your 3rd string QB?

Nothing special about pulling teams together after facing overwhelming tragedy?

You weren’t even alive then. Your bread is still not done.

I’m just not a Dickey fan.....probably because he left to go back to UF.
Battle still wasn’t a bad coach....

VN Store

Back