1971 Sugar Bowl

Oh wow! Air Force was in a major bowl? This was before my time OP but it looks like we ran same offense in high school!

Last edited:
Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Bill Battle’s best season
Was there at Tulane Stadium, from what i remember, I had an incredible time. Galvanized horse troughs full of that nectar of the Gods... Bali Hai... up and down Bourbon street. Masses of Orange everywhere. I would love to do it again.... but at 70 + I'm just to damn old for that now. Tempis Fugits.

The dog scored more times than Air Force. Probably was the most exciting thing of the day. Air Firce was undefeated but no match for UT and a stray dog.

Reactions: rose/utvols
Win more games with them than Dickey ever did
First year of the 11-game regular season schedule. Dickey coached when regular season was 10 games. He won 9 games thrice and 8 games twice in the 6 seasons he was at Tennessee and he left the roster chocked full of talent. Dickey was one of the great coaches in Tennessee history and had he remained and not left for Florida, he may have been second only to Neyland in terms of all-time wins.

First year of the 11-game regular season schedule. Dickey coached when regular season was 10 games. He won 9 games thrice and 8 games twice in the 6 seasons he was at Tennessee and he left the roster chocked full of talent. Dickey was one of the great coaches in Tennessee history and had he remained and not left for Florida, he may have been second only to Neyland in terms of all-time wins.

I'm 80 and IMO Dickey was the best coach we've had in my lifetime.

I was there. Sat on the 2nd row in the end zone where UT scored all of its touchdowns. Bobby Majors had an incredible game. Sang along with Joe Thompson at Pat O'Brien's after the game. The $1.49 Steakhouse was pretty bad, but it was helpful on a college student budget. Rubbed shoulders with Bud Wilkinson on Bourbon Street on New Year's Eve.

Reactions: onevol74
I know the stats..... I was just saying.;)

Agree, and it's highly likely the cheating-a$$ Bryant doesn't dominate the 70's had Dickey stayed at UT.

...a lot has certainly changed since then...
Well, our record doesn't find us in New Orleans or anywhere else, but we can count on Bourbon Street to consistently represent as a bastion of debauchery and disorderly drunkenness! On that we can rely! 😂🍺

I remember that game. Air Force had a receiver (Ernie Jennings) who was really good. We contained him and manhandled them.

VN Store

Back