1938 & 1939 Vols Teams...

I'm not even sure there was an SEC tie in to the Sugar Bowl going back that far. I know there also was a rule that existed that in the event of a tie, the team who had been the longest without winning went to the Sugar Bowl.

Also, the game was played at Tulane, so it's not very surprising that they would get the game anyway.

In which season? In '38, UT was SEC champion. In '39, they shared the championship with Georgia Tech (8-2) and Tulane (8-1-1.) Tennessee finished both regular seasons undefeated,
I am purely talking about the '39 season. The 1938 Championship is disputed only in the sense that USC and LSUs Titles are disputed from '03.

We 'split' the title in '39 with GT and Tulane, however, the real winner was definitely Tulane, since they ended up in the Sugar Bowl.

We went to the Rose Bowl that year. I don't think comparing who got which bowl bid is the best way of picking the SEC champion.

I am purely talking about the '39 season. The 1938 Championship is disputed only in the sense that USC and LSUs Titles are disputed from '03.

Tennessee had a better record than Georgia Tech and Tulane in '39. I don't know how they were not undisputed SEC Champs, because they seemed to be more impressive than Ga Tech and Tulane that year during the regular season.

Tennessee had a better record than Georgia Tech and Tulane in '39. I don't know how they were not undisputed SEC Champs, because they seemed to be more impressive than Ga Tech and Tulane that year during the regular season.

In 1939, Ga Tech went 6-0 in conference, with losses to Notre Dame and Duke.

Tulane's loss came to Texas A&M in the Sugar Bowl; the tie came against North Carolina. Both were out of conference.

In 1939, Ga Tech went 6-0 in conference, with losses to Notre Dame and Duke.

Tulane's loss came to Texas A&M in the Sugar Bowl. Still gotta find the tie...

They tied North Carolina 14-14 in the regular season.

VN Store

Back