1938 & 1939 Vols Teams...

it now. In the early decades of college football--including the 30s--southern teams did not get their due. The northern and northeastern schools were considered the cream of the crop by the press and the establishment. The south isn't establishment--which is why SEC schools and players typically play second fiddle to northern schools. That's why Paul Horning--playing for a losing notre dame team--won the heisman and not johnny majors? Who got screwed in 2004--a great, undefeated auburn squad. Who was dissed a year before that--LSU, which won the BCS title but had to listen to all the gasbags, and the press, say that usc was number one. If ut and michigan are each 9-1, who do you think will have the higher ranking?

And If you can't win a national title when you don't give up a single point, you've really got a gripe. :eek:hmy:

I bet I have asked at least 100 UT fans over the years that trivia question and none of them knew the answer:

Who was the last team to go undefeated, untied and unscored upon? Tennessee

I think it's an incredible feat, and that's coming from a Bama fan.

The other one most of them never got was:

Why is Tennessee's orange lighter than Auburn's?

any guesses?

Is there an answer? I was under the assumption it was just the color of the flowers on The Hill?

The 1939 Volunteer football team was indeed undefeated, untied, and unscored upon under the leadership of the then head coach, General Bob Neyland. Unfortunately they played the USC Trojans in the January 1, 1940 Rose Bowl and lost 14 to 0. This ended the undefeated, untied, and unscored upon record and cost the Volunteers the national championship.:banghead2:

The 1939 Volunteer football team was indeed undefeated, untied, and unscored upon under the leadership of the then head coach, General Bob Neyland. Unfortunately they played the USC Trojans in the January 1, 1940 Rose Bowl and lost 14 to 0. This ended the undefeated, untied, and unscored upon record and cost the Volunteers the national championship.:banghead2:
The final polls were takes prior to the bowl games in those days

In '38, UT was named National Champion by Billinglsy, Boand, Dunkel, Football Research, Houlgate, Litkenhouse, Poling, and Sagarin (at least Sagarin was awarded retroactively.) TCU won the AP (which is, along with the later introduced coaches poll, the NC most recognize as legitimate.) TCU was 11-0 and SWC conference champions that year. With apologies to Villanova and Georgetown, UT and TCU were the only two major football schools to go undefeated. Tennessee, ranked #2, beat Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl 17-0. TCU went on to beat Carnegie Melon in the Sugar Bowl 15-7.

In '39, Texas A&M was a near consensus NC (including the AP,) with twice-tied USC winning Dickenson, and Cornell winning Litkenhouse and Billingsley. Tennessee was undefeated going into the Rose Bowl with a 23 game win streak, but lost to USC 14-0. UT star George Cafego did not play in that game due to injury. A&M would go to the Sugar Bowl and defeat Tulane 14-13.

As mentioned earlier, the NC was awarded before the bowl games, but I thought the results were interesting enough to mention. In both seasons, however, there was another undefeated, untied team from a major conference that got the nod over UT.

Is there an answer? I was under the assumption it was just the color of the flowers on The Hill?

That's correct, it is the flowers on the hill, a lot of Tennessee fans do not know that. For the few that get the answer correct, I usually say, "no, because it's been washed in Tide more." :)

That's correct, it is the flowers on the hill, a lot of Tennessee fans do not know that. For the few that get the answer correct, I usually say, "no, because it's been washed in Tide more." :)

From what I've heard the flowers that have been referred to have never been proven to actually exist. Whatever species of flower it is (I can't remember) apparently there is no known breed with an orange flower.

From what I've heard the flowers that have been referred to have never been proven to actually exist. Whatever species of flower it is (I can't remember) apparently there is no known breed with an orange flower.

It was the American daisy. The colors weren't inspired by the color of the daisy, but by the orange center.

Does everyone understand that UT didn't even win the SEC that season. That is most likely reason number one that UT did not win the National Championship.

I'm not sure what you are saying. According to multiple sources, we won the SEC title in 1938 and shared it in 1939 with Ga Tech and Tulane.

Does everyone understand that UT didn't even win the SEC that season. That is most likely reason number one that UT did not win the National Championship.

In which season? In '38, UT was SEC champion. In '39, they shared the championship with Georgia Tech (8-2) and Tulane (8-1-1.) Tennessee finished both regular seasons undefeated,

I'm not sure what you are saying. According to multiple sources, we won the SEC title in 1938 and shared it in 1939 with Ga Tech and Tulane.
We 'split' the title in '39 with GT and Tulane, however, the real winner was definitely Tulane, since they ended up in the Sugar Bowl.

VN Store

Back