'18 TN CB Shatar McClay (UT commit 4/13/17)

McClay is a legit athlete, with some members of Tennessee’s staff quite high on his potential, but there are real grade concerns here and that’s why a number of teams haven’t aggressively pursued the defensive back as of yet. He’s also never been to Knoxville and hasn't developed a relationship with Charlton Warren. The entire ordeal was a shock — with Tennessee still not publicly acknowledging the commitment. However, McClay is a take if he is eligible, and the Vols hope he simply gets his academics in order over the next year. It’s an uphill battle, and something to watch in the future.

-VQ

Reactions: 3 people
It sounds like this is all on the kid. If he takes care of his biness in the classroom it sounds like he will have a spot. If not, I don't think this is a case of the coaches taking a commit that will be culled later. I think this commit definitely has stipulations attached.

I wonder if this is a potential blue shirt candidate, considering his grade concerns. These are perfect cases to do that.

Reactions: 1 person
I wonder if this is a potential blue shirt candidate, considering his grade concerns. These are perfect cases to do that.

If he makes his grades I don't think they would risk him being a blue shirt. Based in that highlight mike Griffith posted in his article this kid is no 2/3 star athlete. He is easily 4 star talent.

He will tear it up into the NFL. I hope we didn't actually pass on him, I assume we did not. Reading that we passed on Brown and Dickerson 2 years ago and Wade this year just seems ridiculous. We did boot my favorite recruit of the class, Lawson, but he wasn't missed by most in forumville.

Can he tear the Big Ten apart first before you all ship him to the pros. 😎😎😎😎

If he makes his grades I don't think they would risk him being a blue shirt. Based in that highlight mike Griffith posted in his article this kid is no 2/3 star athlete. He is easily 4 star talent.

Find the kid a tutor and get his academics in order. He has had a rough go of it but sounds like he has a family that wants what is best for him. I hope he can make it happen in the classroom. I'll be cheering for him.

Reactions: 2 people
Can he tear the Big Ten apart first before you all ship him to the pros. ��������

Give your evals man. You never disparage kids. You just state what you see as far as their current skills. He may turn out to be a superstar but that doesn't mean your eval of him in high school was wrong. It just means that he got coached up or a light came on that didn't before. Keep doing you TBB. :good!:

Reactions: 3 people

Absolutely agree. I guess I'm getting more at the thinking of if the coaches feel his grades are going to be close to questionable to make it in, then try to go the blue shirt route. That way he still has a spot guaranteed if he makes the grades and can get in late.

I guess there's very little risk for us. If he does manage to get his grade in order, we showed a commitment to him early and we get a player that we liked.

And if he doesn't then he goes Juco and we still showed that early support to him and can sign him in another two years.

Reactions: 2 people
And if he doesn't then he goes Juco and we still showed that early support to him and can sign him in another two years.

bingo.gif

Give your evals man. You never disparage kids. You just state what you see as far as their current skills. He may turn out to be a superstar but that doesn't mean your eval of him in high school was wrong. It just means that he got coached up or a light came on that didn't before. Keep doing you TBB. :good!:

Agree. I like to see what BB has to say. Agree most of the time with him, and even when I don't, it's good insight.

Agree. I like to see what BB has to say. Agree most of the time with him, and even when I don't, it's good insight.

I agree also. None of us are gonna agree all the time on here. BB is always honest with his evaluations and doesn't sugarcoat it. Obviously a Vol fan but not such a blind homer that he can't make unbiased judgements on prospects and players...... most of the time.

Keep bringing your opinions BB.

I agree also. None of us are gonna agree all the time on here. BB is always honest with his evaluations and doesn't sugarcoat it. Obviously a Vol fan but not such a blind homer that he can't make unbiased judgements on prospects and players...... most of the time.

Keep bringing your opinions BB.

I honestly haven't watched a lot this year. Been busy for real. This kid I keep reading about his grades so I'm not too high on him. Is this kid in the Nashville area(Not familiar with Tennessee yet 😎)?

Apparently Lamont Wade has been tearing it up at PSU who BB was EXTREMELY critical of.

I was a villain in that thread for questioning BB but it will be interesting to see how his development. I hope he isn't one we end up really regretting.

How will we end up "regretting", though? We pushed for him and he decided to stay home. We didn't turn him away or anything. Tough to pull PA kids who want to stay home, especially west PA kids.

Find the kid a tutor and get his academics in order. He has had a rough go of it but sounds like he has a family that wants what is best for him. I hope he can make it happen in the classroom. I'll be cheering for him.

A tutor and a mentor that can get through to him. Because he's been BSing for 3 years already. He needs someone that won't sugarcoat a thing with him.

I honestly haven't watched a lot this year. Been busy for real. This kid I keep reading about his grades so I'm not too high on him. Is this kid in the Nashville area(Not familiar with Tennessee yet 😎)?

Yes, Clarksville is in the Nashville area.

what happened to the good ole days of butch not taking any ole recruit this year?

people complained and got what they wanted. i hope they are happy.

How will we end up "regretting", though? We pushed for him and he decided to stay home. We didn't turn him away or anything. Tough to pull PA kids who want to stay home, especially west PA kids.
If we beat Vandy and SC I think we land him. We had a lot of momentum with him at one point and he came down on his FAMILY'S dime more than once. His relationship w/ Shoop was key.

We were significantly closer to landing Wade than we ever were for Akers. JMO

If we beat Vandy and SC I think we land him. We had a lot of momentum with him at one point and he came down on his FAMILY'S dime more than once. His relationship w/ Shoop was key.

We were significantly closer to landing Wade than we ever were for Akers. JMO

That last part may be true, but it may also be more of an indictment of how long a shot Akers was than a confirmation of how close we were to landing Wade.

He will tear it up into the NFL. I hope we didn't actually pass on him, I assume we did not. Reading that we passed on Brown and Dickerson 2 years ago and Wade this year just seems ridiculous. We did boot my favorite recruit of the class, Lawson, but he wasn't missed by most in forumville.

Can he tear the Big Ten apart first before you all ship him to the pros. 😎😎😎😎
And BTW I don't care what he does I'll stand by my evaluation of him. He's not the best Freshman DB in his division of the Big Ten. That in itself goes to one the Buckeye DBs. Okudah has been clocked at 23.2 mph at practice. As a 6'0 192lb Freshman CB. That's what a 5 star looks like to me. 😎
Ummm can he tear Big Ten apart first before YOU ship him to the best CB in the nation?

Last edited:
That last part may be true, but it may also be more of an indictment of how long a shot Akers was than a confirmation of how close we were to landing Wade.

Penn State was trending up and we were getting beat by the likes of Vandy and SC if Penn State was trending down and the big if word had we beat those 2 teams the 17 class would have been top 5 we lost 4 or 5 elite recruits because they really don't know who the coach will be in 2 years the 18 class will surfer if we go 7 and 5 and the wolfs come out wanting a coaching change with the new AD alot of these elite recruits won't come because they won't be sure who will be coaching change Coach Jones needs to pull a 9 and 3 record out with this team so the recruits knows he will be here for a while its going to be hard pulling in a top 10 class with the FANS calling for his head, if this team goes 9 and 3 that would be his best coaching job sense he has been here and would be a great selling tool for the recruits the slogans of BRICK by BRICK and its a PROCESS won't cut it with the FANS and RECRUITS this is put up and show how good of a coach you are this year or don't let the DOOR hit him in his AZZ on his way out its time to back up the talk instead of trying to make a excuse for losing tough games he has to win 8 games to show he can coach or hit the highway no more excuses for team 121.:rock:

VN Store

Back