'18 TN CB Shatar McClay (UT commit 4/13/17)

This kid is very elusive , the staff should most definitely put him on return duties .

Apparently Lamont Wade has been tearing it up at PSU who BB was EXTREMELY critical of.

I was a villain in that thread for questioning BB but it will be interesting to see how his development. I hope he isn't one we end up really regretting.

Apparently Lamont Wade has been tearing it up at PSU who BB was EXTREMELY critical of.

I was a villain in that thread for questioning BB but it will be interesting to see how his development. I hope he isn't one we end up really regretting.

He was never really coming here anyway, he was always a Penn State lean .

I mean he hasn't played a down yet... not exactly tearing anything up til you face live competition

Reactions: 2 people
I will reserve judgment until Breakerboy and Caleb chime in. They both seem to know a lot about CB play in the SEC. I am being serious in case anyone thinks that I forgot the blue font.

👀👀👀👀👀

I don't do those at all on here anymore. Not about to crucify me if the player just doesn't work out. Lol

Doesn't he play safety for them???

And BTW I don't care what he does I'll stand by my evaluation of him. He's not the best Freshman DB in his division of the Big Ten. That in itself goes to one the Buckeye DBs. Okudah has been clocked at 23.2 mph at practice. As a 6'0 192lb Freshman CB. That's what a 5 star looks like to me. 😎

Last edited:
Tape looks good. I know we are critical of the star power, but it definitely begins to mold our class as focused on Tennessee players. Hopefully we get some other guys on board soon too. I'd like to have a lot of momentum going into fall camp.

He will tear it up into the NFL. I hope we didn't actually pass on him, I assume we did not. Reading that we passed on Brown and Dickerson 2 years ago and Wade this year just seems ridiculous. We did boot my favorite recruit of the class, Lawson, but he wasn't missed by most in forumville.

Reactions: 1 person
McClay was primarily a wide receiver and defensive back at Northwest this past season and the team's kick and punt returner. The Vikings finished the season 6-5 and secured its first playoff appearance since 2009. McClay was named to The Leaf-Chronicle/Legends Bank All Area Football Team after totaling 13 touchdowns. He had 36 receptions for 746 yards with a 19.6-yards per catch average. He also finished with 21 tackles, two interceptions and a forced fumble as well as two punt return touchdowns.
http://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/04/13/northwests-shatar-mcclay-commits-tennessee/100443958/

For Northwest High School's Shatar McClay, basketball would have been his chosen sport. A two-sport star at Northwest as a freshman two years ago, McClay was in love with the 94-feet sideline and 50-feet baseline. But it was on a Clarksville outdoor basketball court that life changed for McClay.

During his freshman year, McClay said he got into an altercation during a pickup game that eventually resulted in him being the target of gunshots while McClay sat on his front porch. Unharmed, McClay's mother sent him to live with his aunt in Austin, Texas. It was there, while playing football at Del Valle High, that McClay hit a growth spurt both physically and stylistically on the football field. And when the 6-foot-1, 180-pound athlete returned to Clarksville, participating in the National Playmakers Academy's football camp at Austin Peay last May, he was catching the eye of some big schools.

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/08/24/vikings-mcclay-making-most-second-chance/89306868/

If he was named to the Leaf-Chronicle/Legends Bank All Area Football Team than he must be a baller. It's just a little concerning that he wasn't good enough to have his thread started by Tony.
Boom?
Thanks.

Doesn't he play safety for them???

And BTW I don't care what he does I'll stand by my evaluation of him. He's not the best Freshman DB in his division of the Big Ten. That in itself goes to one the Buckeye DBs. Ok Idaho has been clocked at 23.2 mph at practice. As a 6'0 192lb Freshman CB. That's what a 5 star looks like to me. 😎
What difference does it make if he plays safety for them? If PSU can move him to safety and be successful why couldn't it have been at UT? Are we not as good of a program? TK Jr leaves after this year and Warrior is just a sophomore. He could have came in and played soon but you seemed totally dismissive of the thought of Wade in orange.

Also-All of those attributes you listed resemble our own Justin Martin. Those numbers sure have translated thus far, huh?

Well, the first three recruits for 18 are definitely takes. Compare their rankings and offer lists to McClay's

You're not scratching your head over this a little ?

We should never take a good player until some other top schools offer? Makes sense.

I have a theory about the coaches taking his commitment. Looks like he could be a very solid player, either at Wr or db. Now onto my theory. The coaches clearly think a lot of him. If he gets his grades in order and looks like he can make it in to school great, that's a win for us. He will get more offers as time goes on. Now the other side. If he does not get in and has to go the juco route, and balls out it juco. Then we already have a solid relationship with him and would have a leg up on his recruitment the second time around. Building those relationships is key.

Why would we regret it? We didn't pass. He passed on us.

Reactions: 2 people
I have a theory about the coaches taking his commitment. Looks like he could be a very solid player, either at Wr or db. Now onto my theory. The coaches clearly think a lot of him. If he gets his grades in order and looks like he can make it in to school great, that's a win for us. He will get more offers as time goes on. Now the other side. If he does not get in and has to go the juco route, and balls out it juco. Then we already have a solid relationship with him and would have a leg up on his recruitment the second time around. Building those relationships is key.

They took him cuz he is about to blow up, needs work on grades and early commit allows them to set a process to make it.

They took him cuz he is about to blow up, needs work on grades and early commit allows them to set a process to make it.

Kind of what I said. Said he gets his grades in order and starts getting more offers. I just kind of added a part if he doesn't.

This kid is explosive. It will be interesting to see where they put him if he makes it in.

"Tennessee is really, really high on McClay. He's lower-rated right now simply because of his academics, but the Vols love him. Could play cornerback or receiver. Sounds like there's a real chance he might have to go the juco route."

Callahan

Grades are never an issue.. Signed Gerald Willaims and Errick Lofton

VN Store

Back