'18 PA JUCO OL Jahmir Johnson (UT signee)

We needed bodies. He has one. Revisionist Recruiting Regret...the 3 R’s you don’t want.

Last edited:
FWIW- Had the good fortune to eat lunch with Anthony Munoz at a pro-am during Michael's senior year. At that time he said MM was obsessed with gaining weight because he 'only' weighed about 285/ 290 and nobody would take him at that size. AM said he told him not to worry about it, that strength, footwork and technique were more important than gaining 10 or 15 pounds. He should know.

Reactions: 2 people
We needed bodies. He has one. Revisionist Recruiting Regret...the 3 R’s you don’t want.

Exactly. And it’s not like he’s needed in September. Depth plays out in late October/November. A few extra months to pack on mass will have him time to get right at 300 or even more.

Just came across this. Seemed somewhat relevant here. Just one example of course. Kirby Smart talking about how he didn't really recruit Bradley Chubb because he didn't think he would grow that much. He also talked about recruiting Jordan Davis who needs to lose weight. And how the coaches will sometimes offer players on the contingent they lose a set number of pounds.

Sometimes, a player proves those projections wrong. Smart learned that the hard way from a first-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Before he was the No. 5 overall pick, Bradley Chubb was an undersized defender at Hillgrove High School in Marietta. Smart, then the defensive coordinator at Alabama, went to the school several times to recruit players, but the then-6-1, 190-pound Chubb was not among them.

Chubb later transformed into a 6-4, 275-pound unblockable behemoth. In his senior year at NC State, Chubb had 23 tackles for loss and 10 sacks en route to winning the Bronko Nagurski Trophy.

Smart shared his take on Chubb’s emergence last December before Chubb took home the award.

"Bradley Chubb. This guy is easy to talk about because he makes me look like a dumbass," Smart said via The Macon Telegraph.

As Smart explained Monday, the projection of a player’s weight is the ultimate guessing game. The coaches seem to have more to work with than ever before, but in the end, there’s still plenty of room for error.

“I watched 150 guys in the last two or three weeks, and I’m saying, ‘What’s his max-out weight going to be?’ You don’t know,” Smart said. “Everybody’s body kind of develops a different way. I wish we could get it right all the time, but that’s a big part of development in our nutrition and our weightlifting program.”

Reactions: 1 person
Just came across this. Seemed somewhat relevant here. Just one example of course. Kirby Smart talking about how he didn't really recruit Bradley Chubb because he didn't think he would grow that much. He also talked about recruiting Jordan Davis who needs to lose weight. And how the coaches will sometimes offer players on the contingent they lose a set number of pounds.

i really liked the dumbass part.:thumbsup:

Reactions: 3 people

It’s really true. Some kids develop early and are basically finished growing by 8th grade. Not to say they won’t get stronger. Then some kids grow late and don’t stop til 19 or 20.

I think it may help to know how their dad, uncles, etc developed. My son seems to be progressing very similar to how I did.

It’s really true. Some kids develop early and are basically finished growing by 8th grade. Not to say they won’t get stronger. Then some kids grow late and don’t stop til 19 or 20.

I think it may help to know how their dad, uncles, etc developed. My son seems to be progressing very similar to how I did.

Have you stopped growing yet?

"Your mother been tellin' you stories about me again, eh?"

Liked for slightly obscure Braveheart reference.

Actual fact.... some Europeans actually say length for your height as well. In a thread one time, fella asked how long another guy was. I be like 👀

Some of the newcomers are just happy to be getting with trainers and strength coaches. Volquest had a chance to catch up with offensive line signee Jamir Johnson for a story for next week. Johnson said he was weighing around 270 with hopes of getting to 295.

Johnson said he wasn't worried about adding the weight this summer because Tennessee's meal plan will serve him three meals daily, and there's a nutritionist at Tennessee. Two things he didn't have in junior college. Johnson said he has also been doing coach Fitzgerald's strength workout plan as much as he can. He has been limited with it some because he hasn't always had someone to spot him in the weight room. Johnson said he couldn't wait until next week when he's in the weight room with his new team.

-VQ

Reactions: 12 people
They are getting paid, they are getting the education paid for, regular people have to pay for that and are just as broke, I will never eat another ramen noodle the rest of my life but that's what I could afford in college.

Reactions: 4 people
Lol. Hasn't even had 3 meals a day provided at JUCO. He's gonna plump up real nice.

That's what I thought when I read it. People were saying he had 5 months to bulk up already but how. Haha. And he can't really lift cause there's nobody to spot him. He'll probably bulk up pretty quickly just having access to food and trainers.

Understanding that odds are he might be too light to be a full time OT (at least this year maybe), anyone think he could find a role as an inline blocker, like a 6th lineman, in short yardage and goal line situations? Especially considering we don't have the style TE's on campus who could effectively fill this role.

Is that something USC did under Helton?

Reactions: 1 person
“My first football coach died the summer going into my senior year. He was like my father growing up. I remember sitting at the gravesite and thinking I'm going to take football serious,” Johnson said. “From that day my life changed. I started getting A's in school. I started playing with a purpose and working out with a purpose. Everything just became a purpose for me that day. Since that day, I have just been grinding and working to make it out of the hood and help the people around me.”

“I think him dying made me honor the game more. I love football, but basketball was always my sport. Now I love playing the game of football. I don't know, I just love it. As a kid, I would get in trouble. I had to realize that football was the only thing where you can let your anger out and stuff like that within the whistle. That's why I love being a lineman. You get to hit every player, every play. You can be aggressive. Me bottling my anger up for game week, I think it helps me focus on what I need to get done. The game of football is really the first thing I have been happy with.”

“I have been in the weight room everday,” Johnson said. “I stick to the plan that they have sent me. I have followed it as close as I can. Every workout is tough. Getting through it and dominate it is what you want to do so when you get there that's what you prepare for. It's not a hard transition. I like it. I knew when I signed with Tennessee there would be a transition like this. That's why I'm excited about.”

“When I talked coach Pruitt, I told him my plan. I'm a leader,” Johnson stated. “I'm just not comfortable with seeing people down or not doing what they need to do. I'm a vocal leader. I want to be a captain one day for the University of Tennessee. I want to come in and impress early. I want to get my degree and be the best player I can be. As you go into Tennessee, you see Peyton Manning has all the things around. That's wonderful. He hasn't played for Tennessee in a minute and everyone talks about him like he's still there. That's how I want to be remembered one day.”

-VQ

Reactions: 22 people

VN Store

Back