'18 GA QB Justin Fields

What's crazy is the amount of small schools that are ahead of the curve on these types of kids. They don't go in looking for 4-5* type talent obviously; they just see a kid who they think can play at their level. Then some of these guys turn out to be coveted by the who's who of CFB.

I have a theory on this but not sure if it's correct

I think the services have a smaller number of 4/5star kids early in the process and when kids like this get offers they then boost then into such rankings.

Would love to know for instance if the number of 2019 4/5stars is less than the number of such rankings in the 2017 class. If that is correct my theory is correct and those services rely significantly on offers for their evaluation process

I think the services have a smaller number of 4/5star kids early in the process and when kids like this get offers they then boost then into such rankings.

Would love to know for instance if the number of 2019 4/5stars is less than the number of such rankings in the 2017 class. If that is correct my theory is correct and those services rely significantly on offers for their evaluation process

Purely from an offer standpoint, I would assume the smaller schools are less selective or reserved in who they offer and perhaps they throw out a lot more offers than the big boys. Because you see the kids that are several years out will have several G5 offers and not 1 P5 offer but they end up coming. The smaller schools are "heavily" recruiting kids 2-3 yrs out.

Wouldn't prove your theory, just correlation. More likely, IMO, there are initially fewer highly-rated players because many of them have not camped and have no film.

Reactions: 1 person
That process started earlier this week when the coaches offered Justin Fields out of Georgia. A 4.0 student with a great deal of athleticism for a quarterback, a lot of people are quick to compare him to Tennessee's current starting quarterback.

His arm strength has improved since his sophomore year as he's added some weight and strength, and from several reviews we've heard of his camp performance, he was the best quarterback Tennessee watched throw last week, regardless of class, outside of Jones (who is a potential 5-star).

Tennessee is the first SEC offer for Fields and it's very unlikely they are the last, but the Vols have made an impression during his two visits to Rocky Top.

-VQ

Reactions: 2 people
Purely from an offer standpoint, I would assume the smaller schools are less selective or reserved in who they offer and perhaps they throw out a lot more offers than the big boys. Because you see the kids that are several years out will have several G5 offers and not 1 P5 offer but they end up coming. The smaller schools are "heavily" recruiting kids 2-3 yrs out.

I took a look at Toledo and their offers this year as they were CJ Lewis other offer when we took him. To compare and IF the offers listed are legit Toledo has extended 314 offers thus far in 2017. We show having offered 351 recruits and to compare bama has offered 265.

What is an offer? Some kid goes to a camp and UT coach says "great job kid, be great to see you here", is that an offer? No doubt many of these kids see an "offer" when there was never really an "offer" extended....

Lol it's hilarious that I read that, hear all these great things about the kid, and the one thing that sticks with me is "better than everyone EXCEPT Emory Jones."

I would be happy to get this kid, but lol man I want EJ. Unfortunately, looks like the trend is heading towards OSU.

Wouldn't prove your theory, just correlation. More likely, IMO, there are initially fewer highly-rated players because many of them have not camped and have no film.

That is assuming camps and film is the only way kids are ranked.

I think our latest qb committ, Lewis, proves offers are used in such rankings

Lol it's hilarious that I read that, hear all these great things about the kid, and the one thing that sticks with me is "better than everyone EXCEPT Emory Jones."

I would be happy to get this kid, but lol man I want EJ. Unfortunately, looks like the trend is heading towards OSU.

Lets give them each two more years to play high school football and see what happens maybe?

I have no doubt the services use offers to decide who they need to take a closer look at, but they don't need offers to confirm obviously elite talents - the ones that start off as high 4 or 5 stars.

If offer lists are so critical for ratings, why are there 3-stars with double-digit P5 offers?
I am looking at the early(2020-2018) classes with my thinking.

I agree the elite of the elite are easy to rank but my guess the number of 5 and 4 stars grow with each class as offers role in

I am looking at the early(2020-2018) classes with my thinking.

I agree the elite of the elite are easy to rank but my guess the number of 5 and 4 stars grow with each class as offers role in

Or as they get a chance to play high school football, you're talking about rising HS freshmen and sophomores for 20 and 19.

Sounds like Fields could end up highly rated. Callahan said 247 composite is only based on One sites rating. He expects a nice jump once 247 and others rate him. he also said same thing as the VQ comment that Fields was clearly best QB at camp outside of Emory jones.

Reactions: 1 person
Sounds like Fields could end up highly rated. Callahan said 247 composite is only based on One sites rating. He expects a nice jump once 247 and others rate him. he also said same thing as the VQ comment that Fields was clearly best QB at camp outside of Emory jones.

I think he'll end up a solid 4-star. He's not completely different than Dormady in the fact that injury took him off the radar for a while. He's picked up some really nice offers recently. The question is can Tennessee actually land him?

I think he'll end up a solid 4-star. He's not completely different than Dormady in the fact that injury took him off the radar for a while. He's picked up some really nice offers recently. The question is can Tennessee actually land him?

Not sure. He told 247 he has a school in mind that he may commit to during first part of his season. Not sure if that means us or not.

And then hold on to him

The offer to Fields makes 5 QB offers to QB's from the state of Georgia for the 2018 class. Are there any other QB's that are decent from other states for 2018? :)

Wow. Just saw his tape. Very impressive.

Reminds me of a mini Cam Newton. Also some of Dobbs.

I think he's a great get.

IMO he's a better prospect FOR OUR SYSTEM than Emory Jones (who is more pocket passer than dual threat athlete).

Last edited:
Wow. Just saw his tape. Very impressive.

Reminds me of a mini Cam Newton. Also some of Dobbs.

I think he's a great get.

IMO he's a better prospect FOR OUR SYSTEM than Emory Jones (who is more pocket passer than dual threat athlete).

topguntheone.gif

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back