17 VA DT Breyon Gaddy (UT commit 7/19/16)

They're also basically untouchable by the NCAA

Surely you jest! I have to assume you were not around from 1994 through 2005. The NCAA nearly buried the Alabama program for almost a decade. First came the Antonio Langham situation and the report from Gene Jelks. That cost the Tide several years in the mid to late 90's. Then the Albert Means allegations and everything that came from that investigation got them for 3 to 5 more years in the early to mid 2000's.

The hiring of Nick Saban is what got that program turned around.

Surely you jest! I have to assume you were not around from 1994 through 2005. The NCAA nearly buried the Alabama program for almost a decade. First came the Antonio Langham situation and the report from Gene Jelks. That cost the Tide several years in the mid to late 90's. Then the Albert Means allegations and everything that came from that investigation got them for 3 to 5 more years in the early to mid 2000's.

The hiring of Nick Saban is what got that program turned around.

You make it sound like Bama was an innocent victim. The NCAA rule book was pretty much written based on Paul ' Bear' Bryant's recruiting practices. And I personally think Bama's turnaround occurred when the midget's bff became NCAA President. That's why kids who drool on their standardized tests are able to get into Bama.

Reactions: 3 people
You make it sound like Bama was an innocent victim. The NCAA rule book was pretty much written based on Paul ' Bear' Bryant's recruiting practices. And I personally think Bama's turnaround occurred when the midget's bff became NCAA President. That's why kids who drool on their standardized tests are able to get into Bama.

ON the contrary, Alabama was a guilty as they could be and paid the price. Other than a year here or there in between the violations, Bama was a non factor in the SEC race from 1995 through 2006.

My point is that labelling them as untouchable is as inaccurate as it could be.

As for special rules for allowing Alabama to get players into school, well they would certainly not be the first school to be accused of that. When Roy Kramer was SEC Commissioner, there were a few concerns expressed by our opponents about the special treatment we received. I am not saying that we received it. What I am saying is that just because people speculate about situations, does not mean that the speculation is accurate.

Last edited:
ON the contrary, Alabama was a guilty as they could be and paid the price. Other than a year here or there in between the violations, Bama was a non factor in the SEC race from 1995 through 2006.

My point is that labelling them as untouchable is as inaccurate as it could be.

As for special rules for allowing Alabama to get players into school, well they would certainly not be the first school to be accused of that. When Roy Kramer was SEC Commissioner, there were a few concerns expressed by our opponents about the special treatment we received. I am not saying that we received it. What I am saying is that just because people speculate about situations, does not mean that the speculation is accurate.

True.... With one correction... They were a non factor through 2007. They didn't become reinvent again until 2008.

Per Hubbs

A couple more players we feel good about concerning Tennessee is Breyon Gaddy and Brandon Gaddy. Brandon essentially told us last week it was just a matter of time before the two brothers committed and the Vols were the clear leaders.

While they have said they are hoping to make a decision in August before their first game, that could be sped up and we wouldn't be surprised if the brothers did something much earlier than that, even as earlier as the next few weeks.

Reactions: 8 people
So are academics a concern or not? That's my only worry with these two. Not saying they aren't good in class. Just asking from what I've heard on here

So are academics a concern or not? That's my only worry with these two. Not saying they aren't good in class. Just asking from what I've heard on here

Tough to know for sure. Sometimes the grade rumors are accurate, other times it's just talk. With the Henderson situation playing out last year I'd think the staff would be cautious. If the Gaddy bros pull the trigger, I'd guess they are good to go.

We'd be looking good at DT in this class for sure if Gaddy jumps on board. If they can close with a big-time DE or two you're looking at a really nice DL class.

VN Store

Back