'17 TX QB Will McBride (UT Commit 12/13/2016)

There are 3* players that turn out to be better than their ranking. That's why it's hard to downplay any particular recruit.

The problem is that when the class is made up predominantly of 3*'s, most will end up being just that and our record will usually reflect it, ending up in the 7 to 9 win range most years.
And for every 3* that turns out better you'll have abt. the same number being worse.

And I share the same concern, Butch isn't developing most of these players and elevating their play.

I would have no problem with signing 3* players if I had more confidence in Butch. This isn't about the level of play I believe 3* players are capable of. McBride looks solid.

This season has just effectively killed any hope left I had of Butch being a good/great coach. I don't see him being the guy to get players to play above their talent level like you need in the Power 5. His fantastic recruiting was his biggest upside. Getting a majority of 4*/5* recruits kind of offset his inability to coach. So now, with a 2017 class that is a majority of 3* players, and losing a TON of experience for next year, 2017 has me nervous.

If he can land Akers, I will be much more confident. But that is a 50/50 shot at this point.

Reactions: 1 person
Boom.

He's depth. We needed to take a QB even if it's a #4-5 depth chart type guy.

Coaches evals of Lewis were obviously a trainwreck. Hopefully this one gets to actually sign.

We needed a QB. Kid sounds like a hard worker that is willing to develop over time vs transfer at first sniff at backup role. Chad Morris and Mike Norvell are two of the best QB coaches in country. They know more than we do. There is obviously something they all liked about him. Solid player. Not elite but we weren't getting an elite guy anyway.

I liked Bubba but he wouldn't promise enrollment over MLB draft

This. It is this simple. Too much overthinking in this thread.

Will fits the O, has a good arm, really good athleticism/quickness, good awareness, good academics. For him to RS and be ready to step in for an injured starter and keep the O moving is a no-brainer IMO. The staff will be focused on a stud for 2018. You don't have to be a future NFL star to be successful in college and still win an NC.

I've not read through all the BS but we HAD to have a QB for depth purposes this class. You can't just not take a QB. This guy isn't expected to come in and play right away.

These arguments are just ways of trying to prove to yourself its a good pickup. I hate when people try to pick out a non ranked player from 10 years ago to compare to a commitment. Can it happen? Sure. Will it happen? Not likely. The averages are against this kid ever being more than what he is, a security blanket for when Dormandy transfers after losing out to JG.

That's ok...that's pretty much all any QB we could sign was ever going to be. You star junkies hate missing out on the 5* BIW Johnson. I wouldn't trade McBride for HJ any day. That dude is a Gunner Kiel clone.

That's ok...that's pretty much all any QB we could sign was ever going to be. You star junkies hate missing out on the 5* BIW Johnson. I wouldn't trade McBride for HJ any day. That dude is a Gunner Kiel clone.

Perfect comparison! Too good too fast and didn't get too much better.

I urge some of you to watch his film. The kid is good. If he had 4 stars by his name some of you wouldnt take the time to verify. Things I noticed we're athleticism, pocket awareness, cannon, accuracy, and eyes downfield when moving in the pocket.

Will it translate? Dunno, but a star or 2 dont mean a damn thing to me

Reactions: 3 people
Perfect comparison! Too good too fast and didn't get too much better.

BIW...Bust In Waiting. Anybody that watches his games can see what he is. A camp warrior that plays like horsecrap in games. There is a commit at another position we have, that I won't name, and is a really highly rated 4* that I feel the same way about. Would rather have a gamer 3* star that can play any day than him. I just hope he isn't a bust because we really can't afford a bust at that position.

I think it's hilarious when people call me Deboring or "the swim coach." It's so funny that I laugh all the way to the bank.

-Debord

BIW...Bust In Waiting. Anybody that watches his games can see what he is. A camp warrior that plays like horsecrap in games. There is a commit at another position we have, that I won't name, and is a really highly rated 4* that I feel the same way about. Would rather have a gamer 3* star that can play any day than him. I just hope he isn't a bust because we really can't afford a bust at that position.

We all know you're referencing Gray...

The fact is, this kid doesn't have the size/measureables that most P5 staffs are looking for. That has affected his offer list. Not a lot of high-major programs are looking to take on a 6' QB, despite his film. That is how guys like Russell Wilson, Johnny Manziel, Drew Brees, Chase Daniel, etc., slip through the cracks. It doesn't mean they can't play, and it doesn't mean that McBride is going to share in their success. But when guys like Mike Norvell and Chad Morris think you can play, it should count for something.

This kid is not one you can really base an opinion on by looking at his ranking or offer list because his size greatly affects both. Just trust the coaches. I don't feel like they have made a wrong call/eval on a single QB recruit in their 4 years on the Hill. In any case, the QB for this class was most likely going to be a filler anyway if Guarantano is what we hope he is. He may hold down that spot for the next three years, and we may find a more suitable replacement in the 18 or 19 class.

If the guys we have stick it out and dont go the bama route and transfer we have superb depth at the QB position. Unless youre bama, clemson, USC or one of the other current elite programs guys arent going to jump in line behind 3 highly ranked 4 stars. Like others have said, this kid is a potential high upside depth builder in case we have transfers. Nothing wrong with that.

Glad we could snag this 3 star with a poor offer list. Meanwhile Bama has the number one rated dual threat QB committed we sound like Vanderbilt fans saying every 2 or 3 star could be the next jordan Matthew's

Yes, but we have a salary cap to deal with. Unlike Alabama.

This is the attitude I'm referring to when talking about our program has made the fans lower the bar. Esrly 2000s and in the 90s nobody would have been content with where we are now in recruiting or in results. We sound like Vanderbilt fans.

Just saying we aren't Bama at the moment, no one is. Us fans complaining about recruiting doesn't change anything. Do I think we should be held to that standard? Yes, but at this exact moment it's comparing apples and oranges

Has a P12 offer and a Boise offer. I think he has a chance to be good.

People generally look at one of two things when they look at a recruit. Stars or offer list (schools). Those can be good indicators, but they are still not the end all be all in every case. This young man is a prime example....

Go back and look at the schools, then look at who recruited him from those schools. There is a pretty impressive list of QB coaches among those names. Does it mean Mr. McBride is going to be a world beater? No. Does it mean a lot of good coaches think he has a chance to be really good. I would think that that is exactly what it means.

As always...JMO of course.

His film looks good, he has some serious skill sets!! Not much of a star gazer myself because there are some pretty good 3* quarterbacks in the NFL right now!! But welcome Will McBride and GBO!!!

VN Store

Back