'17 TN OT Obinna Eze (Memphis commit)

Better Memphis than an Sec school. It's not as crazy of an pick if you think of current direction of that program. Fuentes got it rolling. Norvell is a great offensive coach. Uniforms are pretty slick. Rumors of joining big 12 and facility upgrades. Starter day 1 probably instead of waiting until Jr. year.

Yeah USF was "rolling" too. For a couple of minutes...then reality came crashing in.

Wished we could have landed Eze but he is a raw prospect who has yet to play a down of varsity football.

I can't remember the last time we lost a recruit to Memphis.

If Butch had not landed Ty today then this would have looked really bad.

Dont think he was lost. Eze come, eze go.

I would be very surprised if he ultimately keeps his commitment to Memphis come NSD. Tenessee should press the gas pedal down throughout the season if a few other commitments start to drop. Aside from playing in the best conference and being on the rise, I think Tennessee offers a lot in other areas such as character building and academic support to where the program can really appeal to Eze.

Yeah USF was "rolling" too. For a couple of minutes...then reality came crashing in.

Or they fired a very solid HC because a puss complained he got too rough with him. Then Skip Holtz crapped on the program in Dooleyesque fashion. Willie Taggart felt like he left better talent at WKU than he inherited at USF, after taking over for Holtz. That should never happen.

Last edited:
Head scratcher for sure, I imagine more schools will go after him in the meantime - might make him reconsider his options. Wish we could've made room for him. The dude has enormous potential and I love his intensity.

ezMhZxZ.gif

:lolabove:

Reactions: 1 person
Head scratcher for sure, I imagine more schools will go after him in the meantime - might make him reconsider his options. Wish we could've made room for him. The dude has enormous potential and I love his intensity.

I heard the local Memphis beat writer on radio today, and he said that Eze needs to learn how to have a mean streak. Eze played soccer and basketball and is not used to the contact.

I heard the local Memphis beat writer on radio today, and he said that Eze needs to learn how to have a mean streak. Eze played soccer and basketball and is not used to the contact.

I'd wondered about that. By all accounts he is a terrific athlete, but he may or may not be a football player. That takes more than athletic ability. Maybe he has it but I don't think we can know for sure until the pads are on.

For a guy who has played 1 year of football he plays with a lot of intensity... :)

Wished we could have landed Eze but he is a raw prospect who has yet to play a down of varsity football.

I can't remember the last time we lost a recruit to Memphis.

If Butch had not landed Ty today then this would have looked really bad.

Yep. NSD is next week and he is gone. Better just stop recruiting him like Butch did with guys like Phillips, Byrd and Richmond.

Yep. NSD is next week and he is gone. Better just stop recruiting him like Butch did with guys like Phillips, Byrd and Richmond.

I don't think we flipped Phillips.

I would hope Butch stays on Eze but Obinna seems to be a loyal guy. He hasn't been in the US for long, about a year, so he probably does not look at schools like a normal recruit would. I don't think prestige means that much to him right now but maybe that will change as the season unfolds.

I'd wondered about that. By all accounts he is a terrific athlete, but he may or may not be a football player. That takes more than athletic ability. Maybe he has it but I don't think we can know for sure until the pads are on.

He's a high risk, high reward type guy - everyone knows that. There's no harm in passing on a project like Eze. We are going to be set with Locklear, Smith & Tucker.

Ok, which coach did he catch lying that ticked him off?

Class of 2017 Nashville (Tenn.) Davidson Academy offensive lineman Obinna Eze has taken a unique road to football stardom and now he's using a unique approach to the recruiting process. Despite offers and overtures from some of the SEC's best programs, Eze committed to Memphis on Monday afternoon, shocking many recruiting onlookers.

But for the 6-foot-8 offensive lineman who moved from Nigeria to the United States to pursue an athletic career, it wasn't a decision he came to lightly.

"I choose Memphis because I have a great relationship with them," Eze said. "Recruiting is hard and people lie and say what they want but I was able to believe in them and trust them. They have a great business school and I found myself a great opportunity to play. I feel comfortable over there.”

While the decision may raise some eyebrows, Eze let it be known that he's his own man.

"My message has always been, me going to Memphis is like showing who I am as a person," Eze said. "Like I’ve always said, I don’t give a crap about names and conferences and big places. I give a crap about relationships and where I feel comfortable and who I can trust."

Ok, which coach did he catch lying that ticked him off?

Class of 2017 Nashville (Tenn.) Davidson Academy offensive lineman Obinna Eze has taken a unique road to football stardom and now he's using a unique approach to the recruiting process. Despite offers and overtures from some of the SEC's best programs, Eze committed to Memphis on Monday afternoon, shocking many recruiting onlookers.

But for the 6-foot-8 offensive lineman who moved from Nigeria to the United States to pursue an athletic career, it wasn't a decision he came to lightly.

"I choose Memphis because I have a great relationship with them," Eze said. "Recruiting is hard and people lie and say what they want but I was able to believe in them and trust them. They have a great business school and I found myself a great opportunity to play. I feel comfortable over there.”

While the decision may raise some eyebrows, Eze let it be known that he's his own man.

"My message has always been, me going to Memphis is like showing who I am as a person," Eze said. "Like I’ve always said, I don’t give a crap about names and conferences and big places. I give a crap about relationships and where I feel comfortable and who I can trust."

Good for him...sounds like Tiger high is a great fit for him. One decent season does not a great program make. But from his words I take that he obviously doesn't care much competing at the highest level, that it is way down his priority list, so it is probably a great place for him to go.

He wants to play early and he wouldn't see the field until year 3 with the major offers. Remember this guy has yet to take a varsity snap in HS.

So he has never played football and yet is a 4*?

How does that work? Seriously, just because one has the skills doesn't imply one will be great at it.

I would be very surprised if he ultimately keeps his commitment to Memphis come NSD. Tenessee should press the gas pedal down throughout the season if a few other commitments start to drop. Aside from playing in the best conference and being on the rise, I think Tennessee offers a lot in other areas such as character building and academic support to where the program can really appeal to Eze.

I think we need to wait and see how he actually performs on the field first. Amazing all the hype over a player who has never taken a snap in high school football.

Reactions: 2 people
Rather have Trey Smith. I don't consider Eze that big of a loss considering the staff didn't heavily recruit him.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back