'17 MS RB Cam Akers (FSU commit 12/27)

Not only do we have Kelly, but we will still have CFA as well. Kid isn't going to roll over and let everyone else take the spot easily.

CFA will be used more in the AK role IMO. They need an elite every down type of back like Hurd. I don't think Kelly or CFA fit that mold or are of that same level of talent. Akers is about as elite a RB prospect as you are going to find...

Reactions: 1 person
He looked just as fast against them as Kamara looked, at least.

He might be "as fast" but AK's biggest asset is his quickness and incredible acceleration. He has exceptional quickness and change of direction. His ability in the passing game last year took the offense to a completely different level.

CFA will be used more in the AK role IMO. They need an elite every down type of back like Hurd. I don't think Kelly or CFA fit that mold or are of that same level of talent. Akers is about as elite a RB prospect as you are going to find...

I disagree. He is at a good weight now. If he puts on 10 lbs to get to 225, I think he can very much take on the Hurd role. CFA can take Kamara's spot.

Doesn't mean I don't want Akers or any other elite RB though. I want all the elite RB's we can get.....let them sort out who the starters are on the practice/game field.

Reactions: 1 person
He might be "as fast" but AK's biggest asset is his quickness and incredible acceleration. He has exceptional quickness and change of direction. His ability in the passing game last year took the offense to a completely different level.

I disagree. I think AK's biggest skill is his balance. He has the best balance I've seen from a NCAA running back in quite some time.

Yup. He is quick, and gets through the hole fast... But his long speed isn't great

I mean you are right on with the other skills as well, but his balance to me is just unbelievable.

I don't even remember which game it was now, but that play where he slipped and held himself up off the ground for the TD.....truly amazing.

I disagree. He is at a good weight now. If he puts on 10 lbs to get to 225, I think he can very much take on the Hurd role. CFA can take Kamara's spot.

Doesn't mean I don't want Akers or any other elite RB though. I want all the elite RB's we can get.....let them sort out who the starters are on the practice/game field.

Pead and several others have worked in this offense. You will be hard pressed to find 6 foot 4 inch and 240 player with Hurd's speed to replace him.

However, UT has talented players who can fill the RB position and this offense still be successful. Akers can as well. Get all the elite guys you can at every position and develop some depth and just roll thru some glory years. Love Hurd and Kam but VOL WORLD should be fine once they move on if Jones and staff do their jobs.

I don't even remember which game it was now, but that play where he slipped and held himself up off the ground for the TD.....truly amazing.

Bowling Green.

I have to agree with MH. At his size, his stop and start quickness is absolutely unbelievable.

I was like the oldest human being that was at the student practice a couple of weeks ago because I snuck in (don;t judge my Vols loyalty) but there was a play where AK literally stopped dead in his tracks on the sideline and let the entire defense blow by as he then proceeded to run for an 80 yd TD. This was against our stout 1st team D mind you with wlite 1st rd talent. Dude is gonna beast this year.

I was like the oldest human being that was at the student practice a couple of weeks ago because I snuck in (don;t judge my Vols loyalty) but there was a play where AK literally stopped dead in his tracks on the sideline and let the entire defense blow by as he then proceeded to run for an 80 yd TD. This was against our stout 1st team D mind you with wlite 1st rd talent. Dude is gonna beast this year.

Fire Shoop!!!

Reactions: 3 people

Sounds like the turf management issues are being addressed. Last season he would have just fell on his azz!

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think a back has to be 6'4 240 to take Hurds role. 5'10 200 can get it done in this offense as long as he gets downhill quickly and isn't dancing around behind the LOS.

To that point, Kamara typically gets north and south faster than Hurd, who still tends to string out runs and dance behind the LOS.

To that point, Kamara typically gets north and south faster than Hurd, who still tends to string out runs and dance behind the LOS.

I'll be the first to say I'm a much bigger fan of Hurd when he runs PO'ed. Put your head down and get what you can. A gain of 2 is better than losing 2 stringing it out to the sideline.

This dude is beast ran a 4.40 forty 40 inch vertical and ran 4.09 in 20 yard shuttle at the opening in new orleans.he is a must get

Through 9 Opening regional events, Akers' Nike Football Rating of 141.33 ranks 2nd nationally. Only 4 players have hit the 130 mark, so that shows what kind of athlete Akers is. He's the only participant over 205 lbs to run under a 4.5 40 so far.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back