'16 MD DE Rashaun "Shaq" Smith

Participating in the UA All American game for 2016. And can a mod fix his name in the title to Rahshaun. Thanks

Gotta think UT leads here. An early commit would be so huge for '16

Wouldn't go that far but we are in his top list of schools. He likes us and DE commit would be huge for '16. Also would be paired with Gooden hopefully. Go Vols

He’s since backed off that stance some as more teams have entered the equation.

“Being recruited as much as I am now,” Smith said. “Hitting my junior year. Oklahoma is not leading. I don’t want to declare a leader. The love I was getting from Oklahoma back then I’m getting from all schools now. Just schools that I like. Clemson, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Florida are recruiting me the hardest.”

A visit to Clemson this summer opened his eyes.

“It was definitely a mind-blowing experience,” Smith said. “You just look at Clemson. They’ve always been a good football program. On campus you see the things at the school. It’s a different atmosphere. It felt like a home away from home. Everyone was welcoming.”

Smith will head to Oklahoma this weekend as the Sooners host Tennessee.

“I have a strong relationship with (Sooners defensive line) coach (Jerry) Montgomery,” Smith said. “I want to see what it’s like at Norman at night for a college game.”

Oklahoma has recruited him since he was a freshman as has Tennessee. Rahshaun added that he didn't remember Butch & his staff recruiting him while at Cincinnati. But was caught off guard by the staff's familiarity with him. They still have his name tag from Cincinnati. Butch told him his name was brought up in the staff's first meeting. BOOOOM! I have to add that this is one of the most personable staffs in the country.

Isn't there already a thread on him? If so, mods, do your thing.

I'm hearing that he comes from a mixed heritage. An exclusive photo of his father:

220px-Andre_in_the_late_%2780s.jpg

He once drank 84 beers and 3 bottles of wine at dinner...

"I actually middle linebacker this year," Smith said. "This was my first year playing middle linebacker. I felt more natural as a linebacker, playing sideline-to-sideline. I feel like when I was playing defensive end all of my skill sets and attributes weren't being used and as aI linebacker I can show how versatile I am. I can blitz, get sacks, go sideline-to-sideline to make tackles, play in space and cover guys."

"Me and coach (Steve) Stripling have a great relationship," Smith said. "He reaches out to me on social media often. Me and coach (Butch) Jones talk on twitter, too."

"The facilities for sure, I would definitely say the facilities," Smith said. "I've been everywhere in the country and Tennessee has some of the best facilities you will see. A lot of people have good facilities but Tennessee has great facilities and their program is in on the rise and they are building a great program there. The reason, to me, why Tennessee has the best facilities is to better their players and their athletes."

"I definitely pay attention to it, a lot," Smith said of the Vols' improvement. "My thing is for a program like Tennessee that is on the rise -- let's just say I go to Tennessee, by the time I would be at Tennessee they would have it rolling then because it's on the rise now. By the time I would get there it's going to be on the ground running and they are going to be making a run for some things in the near future. If I went to Tennessee I would have the chance to be a part of something special."

-VQ

Smith says he might make a decision this spring. He also said he's planning to visit UT again sometime soon, he says UT is high on his list.

Reactions: 10 people
He would be a hell of an addition to the 2016 class. That versatility to move from LB to a hand in the dirt DE is exactly what we have in Curt and will help keep our Defense unpredictable.

Reactions: 1 person
That sounds so positive. If we can get him that would amazing! 2016 & 2017 have the potential to be the best classes we've ever had.

Dude was 260 earlier and now 225. If he could be 235 or so and a LB that would be awesome. Maybe a Maggitt type player or just a pure pass rusher

Elite 50 Updates....

"Just caught up with 5-star linebacker Rahshaun Smith and he told me that if he had to schedule his official visits right now Tennessee would be one of them. He really likes the staff at Tennessee and feels like he can succeed there. He said he will definitely be back after visiting this summer."

-Fortenberry

Reactions: 7 people
Elite 50 Updates....

"Just caught up with 5-star linebacker Rahshaun Smith and he told me that if he had to schedule his official visits right now Tennessee would be one of them. He really likes the staff at Tennessee and feels like he can succeed there. He said he will definitely be back after visiting this summer."

-Fortenberry

Good to hear

Elite 50 Updates....

-Fortenberry

The good news just keeps pouring in! Sounds like all the elite players are wanting to be Vols 4 Life!

Elite 50 Updates....

-Fortenberry

Yes please.

Back to back top 5 (or close to top 5) classes put you in position to be really good and have great depth. 3 classes like that in a row and you're looking at being back to contenders every year.

Transferred to IMG Academy in Florida. Fortenberry said to watch for FSU now. UT will obviously still recruit him because Gillespie has a few ties down there.

VN Store

Back