'16 AL WR Velus Jones (Transfer)

Hmm from a return standpoint this makes sense to replace Callaway on punts and give a more explosive option at KR than Chandler. Not sure he is really needed at WR but then again I’m not basing that on proven guys more of the potential I see in Gibbs, Keyton, Hyatt, Callaway. I’d rather those guys get the reps that are here longer. Tee knows the kid though so trust him

To me... Depth, competition and special teams... Gives us more options on what is otherwise inexperienced group...

Reactions: SweetasSoda
To me... Depth, competition and special teams... Gives us more options on what is otherwise inexperienced group...
You’re not wrong, but speed isn’t coachable. Plus, let’s not get all “we don’t need them”. We need every player we can gather that has a pulse with decent measurables and a good head on their shoulders. We need depth and bodies. Not placeholders that can’t play. I feel that he can be an added boost in a return game that’ll have some real questions.

Reactions: orange parmejohn
I don't think so.
The roster is quite a bit different even from last year.
Brandon Johnson and DeAngelo Gibbs redshirting at WR.
Palmer, Johnson and Keyton will be the most ready imo. Expect Gibbs to come on late and finish strong though. He could be the best WR by the end of next year...
Tillman is getting better and he's 2 years + removed from that bad injury when he was at Bishop Gorman.
Calloway and Small give juice to the return game.
Hyatt is going to open up the whole offense with his deep speed.
But our roster still needs great 4 year players. Don't need any grad guys

Oops.

I’ll be honest - I don’t understand this move.

Rooting for the kid and hopes he balls out, but in my homer eyes I thought we were set with Palmer, Gibbs, Johnson, Keyton, Tillman and the young guys coming in this year.

Jones is faster than all those guys, so there’s that, at least. The upperclassmen, not the 2020 guys. Callaway, Holiday and Hyatt can all fly, obviously.

Cliff Notes: buried by depth when Tee was there. After that the Air Raid didn’t use as many WR so he hardly saw the field. Grad transfer who will count in the 25 who will bring instant depth to the return game and possibly the passing game. Cheney loves these multi-tool guys.

Immediate PR and KR with
Cliff Notes: buried by depth when Tee was there. After that the Air Raid didn’t use as many WR so he hardly saw the field. Grad transfer who will count in the 25 who will bring instant depth to the return game and possibly the passing game. Cheney loves these multi-tool guys.

Exactly. I really don't see this as hard to understand. An experienced player with speed to return kicks and punts is important for field position. We have not had that consistently in years without using starting RB's and WR's - who have been just OK at it. Additional help in the receiver group.

IIRC CP was a 10.6 in the 100 M as a juco. So yeah, he's fast.

Welcome aboard, Velus!

VN Store

Back