'15 SC QB Kelly Bryant

Of course, Gentry. Why not take both if we can? We got to elite 11 QBs in Fergy and Dobbs. Butch had shown he will let the QBs compete for the job. May the best guy win!

I'm not sure we will consistently sign 2 QB's and then sign 0 the next year. With our numbers in the 18-22 range this year, I can see us signing 1 QB.

Personally, I like the Gentry kid the most. However I would not complain if we offered and Bryant committed.

New article up on Bryant over on Clemson Rivals...UF and VT offered recently. Ole Miss, UNC, Clemson and others have also offered but this article makes it seem like he really wants a UT offer, that's the one he's looking for. UT has requested more film of him recently and have yet to offer. He's cousins of Martavis Bryant, former Clemson WR, and seems to have a great relationship with that school. They offered over 2 years ago.

He says UT is on the rise, he likes Butch Jones and the SEC, he's really excited to visit UT this weekend and see what the campus, facilities and coaches are like. Also said he's tired of the recruiting process and wants to make a decision this spring.

Sounds like if our staff rolls out the red carpet and gives him an offer, he'll be a Vol very soon. With Clemson landing 5star D. Watson in '14 and UT not taking any QB's that seems to be a big factor. Clemson folks will lose their minds if UT comes in, offers now, and gets a commitment. I would enjoy that.

I think Tenn could definitely be in the lead position with him once they offer. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Not sure what you base your opinion about Clemson fans freaking out over this though? Most expected to lose him after we accepted Tucker Israel's commitment. He would be gravy on top of what already is a really, really good QB situation for the next 4 years at Clemson.

We're not ignorant to the fact that our depth chart will be very tough to overcome in his recruitment.

Getting more and more interested in this prospect...read another poster comment on a possible Gentry/Bryant signing...Gentry was my #1 well before TG became TO. :)
Posted via VolNation Mobile

In that article it said UT staff requested more film from Bryant weeks prior. So they saw more film, he came to junior day and still no offer? Unless they miss on some other targets it doesn't feel like they'll be offering Bryant.

My comment on Clemson fans losing their minds if UT swooped in and got a commitment was more about them not getting why recruits would choose UT over Clemson. I know many Clemson fans, some in my family, they think they will get who they want when they want and dumpster fire UT doesn't have a chance. Josh Malone recruitment showed them otherwise and they've realized that Butch Jones is a force out there and his staff can go toe to toe with Dabo and his crew any day of the week.

Reactions: 2 people
In that article it said UT staff requested more film from Bryant weeks prior. So they saw more film, he came to junior day and still no offer? Unless they miss on some other targets it doesn't feel like they'll be offering Bryant.

Does seem like they don't plan on offering. Or perhaps they feel like they could land him pretty quick, but want to make sure they get Gentry on board first? It'll be interesting to see what happens after we land our first qb.

LV, the eternal pessimist. A true anti-Pangloss. You trying to pick up where Bruin left off my man? :)

Not at all. I have long been of the opinion that landing a top 10-15 type QB this year would be tough with both Dobbs and Fergs on campus and both looking to be very capable QBs. Someone does not have to swear every top kid either is a Vol or wants to be. It's just not the case and swearing it is does not make a person more of a fan.

My comment on Clemson fans losing their minds if UT swooped in and got a commitment was more about them not getting why recruits would choose UT over Clemson. I know many Clemson fans, some in my family, they think they will get who they want when they want and dumpster fire UT doesn't have a chance. Josh Malone recruitment showed them otherwise and they've realized that Butch Jones is a force out there and his staff can go toe to toe with Dabo and his crew any day of the week.

No offense to your family, but they must be pretty stupid to have that opinion and they certainly didn't follow any 2013 recruiting.

You should be a better judge of how to base a fanbase. There are people that don't follow recruiting and people that do. If you choose to listen to the people that don't and judge a fanbase by it, that's your decision and one I would deem pretty irresponsible.

Reactions: 1 person
Not at all. I have long been of the opinion that landing a top 10-15 type QB this year would be tough with both Dobbs and Fergs on campus and both looking to be very capable QBs. Someone does not have to swear every top kid either is a Vol or wants to be. It's just not the case and swearing it is does not make a person more of a fan.

Ok I just took that post as meaning that 14 QBs (exaggerated # I know) would pass on us thus giving us so many new #1 targets. But now I'm not sure if that's what you meant or not. I personally don't think Dobbs/Ferg are going to be that much of a factor in whether or not we get a top QB this year but you could be right. I don't see anyone being scared off by Dobbs if they saw/are shown what he did last year and I guess there is the unknown factor with Ferg right now which could make some guys hesitate I suppose. Either way I was just yanking your chain though. I enjoy the point of view that you bring to the board. It would be boring if we all agreed about everything all of the time.

Last edited:
No offense to your family, but they must be pretty stupid to have that opinion and they certainly didn't follow any 2013 recruiting.

You should be a better judge of how to base a fanbase. There are people that don't follow recruiting and people that do. If you choose to listen to the people that don't and judge a fanbase by it, that's your decision and one I would deem pretty irresponsible.

Your assumption is wrong. A couple of my family members have been following recruiting for a long time. Alum and season ticket holders at Clemson for decades.

I'm sure I exaggerated a little in my previous post but not much. It's okay, we all love our schools and teams and have blinders on at times. It's cool. :peace2:

All good, I just figured I would give some perspective on how myself and many other hardcore Tiger fans feel. Since there isn't much representation over here on one of the best recruiting boards out there, maybe I feel a little over obligated to do so.

Anyways, back to this kid. I'd be more surprised if Clemson got him then didn't, and that's even if you guys don't decide to offer.

I think Tenn would shoot to the top if they did, and I'd assume them not offering means 1 of 2 things. They either feel really good about Gentry or they feel they can swoop in at any time and still get Bryant. Possibly a little bit of both.

A Clemson friend of mine just told me that their Rivals mods are saying UT's staff is the best group of recruiters in the entire Southeast. They want Dooley back baaaaaadly.

Where is this guy on our board. I'd he a back up plan. Does he have an elite arm. No one has told me our staff is best recruiters in south east but they all agree they want Dooley back.

Fair warning, nobody messes with Swanson and gets away with it. 'Murica lol :crazy:

I live in charleston and there are a ton of clemson and USCjr fans split pretty evenly - the SC fans, at least the ones that are of some age - seem to see UT as a threat and something that could get back to being elite quickly

the Clemson ones on the other hand do not tend to share the same opinion - off the radar a bit b/c out of conference (fair enough) but also something that they see as more of a dumpster fire like Ron said than a team on the rise - basically a team that shouldnt challenge dabo getting who he wants in recruiting

while I like to think 1 is much more reasonable than the other to think - you can't hardly blame them considering Dabo's recruiting success and our lack of success on the field in some time and in recruiting until very recently

Is it reasonable to suspect that Josh Dobbs will make a large margin of improvement in QB play from last year to this year? I realize he was a true freshman last year, but I just didn't see much to give me confidence that he is the game changer most of us were hoping he would be. Your thoughts?

VN Store

Back