142.2 dbA

DeusExMachina

"I aim to misbehave"
On 9.29.14 vs. New England, Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City achieved the Guinness World Record for loudest crowd noise at 142.2 dbA. On 9.12.15 vs. Oklahoma, Jeff Jarnigan announced that Neyland Stadium had set a new high score for noise at 114 dbA.

The difference is, reports state that it's uncertain when the record was set at Neyland. Neyland was a sustained noise. Arrowhead had callouts on their jumbotron exhorting folks to make noise to set the record.

Checker Neyland. 102,455 in the stands (Arrowhead is 76,416 for the record). The return of Lane. 7:30 kickoff. My loud, proud, rowdy hell-raising Big Orange brethren and sisteren in the stands after a day of tailgating and consumption of adult beverages.

We've already given "a dissertation on the effect that crowd noise can have on a game", let's go big and get ourselves another Guiness World Record (we should be in there for largest attendance at a college football game for the Battle at Bristol), and not only beat Ole Miss, but beat the Chiefs as well. I think we can do better than 142.2 decibels, y'all.

(*waiting for someone that understands acoustics far better than I do to explain why it can't/won't happen......)

On 9.29.14 vs. New England, Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City achieved the Guinness World Record for loudest crowd noise at 142.2 dbA. On 9.12.15 vs. Oklahoma, Jeff Jarnigan announced that Neyland Stadium had set a new high score for noise at 114 dbA.

The difference is, reports state that it's uncertain when the record was set at Neyland. Neyland was a sustained noise. Arrowhead had callouts on their jumbotron exhorting folks to make noise to set the record.

Checker Neyland. 102,455 in the stands (Arrowhead is 76,416 for the record). The return of Lane. 7:30 kickoff. My loud, proud, rowdy hell-raising Big Orange brethren and sisteren in the stands after a day of tailgating and consumption of adult beverages.

We've already given "a dissertation on the effect that crowd noise can have on a game", let's go big and get ourselves another Guiness World Record (we should be in there for largest attendance at a college football game for the Battle at Bristol), and not only beat Ole Miss, but beat the Chiefs as well. I think we can do better than 142.2 decibels, y'all.

(*waiting for someone that understands acoustics far better than I do to explain why it can't/won't happen......)

Love that you've noted the fact that Arrowhead's was set due to a coordinated effort to set a decibel record in the game, as opposed to it being a byproduct of natural crowd involvement/passion. Makes a substantial difference.

For a list of the top natural football crowd noise levels ("natural" does NOT mean there were not acoustic enhancements in this usage of the term):

- UWashington 1992 v. Nebraska = 133.6
- Clemson 2007 v. BC = 132.8
- Oregon 2007 v. USC = 127

All three of those stadiums have certain acoustic enhancement advantages over Neyland. Washington and Oregon have massive overhangs on the top of the sideline portions of the stadium reflecting sound back in. Further, Washington and Clemson are both built so that 70+% of their capacities are on the sidelines portion of the stadium, as opposed to endzones, which is better acoustically. Neyland isn't and wasn't built solely to be loud, it's also built to intimidate. To be on top of you and feel like there's no way out. It's the closest thing to a modern day Roman Coliseum (moreso than USC's rendition). As Oklahoma's Ty Darlington described it, it's an "oppressive force."

However, there's one acoustic enhancement advantage Neyland has that no other stadium has in America:

Vols fans.

I think this is the game where Neyland has a chance to eclipse the 133.6 mark. Not saying it will happen, but it darn well could. Either way: WGWTFA

Last edited:
The noise at places like Arrowhead and Autzen has a lot to do with stadium design. That is one thing that cannot be changed at Neyland, barring a new stadium. That said, alcohol also helps.
If Tennessee is in a shootout this game, I expect it will be as loud as anything we have heard.

Here's the thing that amazes me about these records: the decibel scale is logarithmic.

Which means, starting at Neyland's standing record of 114 dbA, you have to get TEN TIMES as loud (as much sound energy) to get to 124 dbA. And ten times that to get to 134 dbA. And again ten times that to reach 144 dbA.

So Arrowhead's record of 142.2 dbA is (roughly) 10 x 10 x 10 = 1,000 times as much sound energy detected as Neyland's 114 dbA.

Insane.

It really is all about the shape of the stadium's bowl, and overhangs, and the ability to fold sound energy back in on itself.

Plus alcohol, like @fossilfiction said. Heh. :)

Go Vols!

Here's the thing that amazes me about these records: the decibel scale is logarithmic.

Which means, starting at Neyland's standing record of 114 dbA, you have to get TEN TIMES as loud (as much sound energy) to get to 124 dbA. And ten times that to get to 134 dbA. And again ten times that to reach 144 dbA.

So Arrowhead's record of 142.2 dbA is (roughly) 10 x 10 x 10 = 1,000 times as much sound energy detected as Neyland's 114 dbA.

Insane.

It really is all about the shape of the stadium's bowl, and overhangs, and the ability to fold sound energy back in on itself.

Plus alcohol, like @fossilfiction said. Heh. :)

Go Vols!

Absolutely correct. One of the amazing things about trying to compare these numbers, is there's absolutely no control for their measurements being implemented currently. The people "measuring" are sideline reporters who aren't using the same device as each other every time, much less a professional one; they're not measuring from the same relative location (sometimes the announcer is standing in the corner of the endzone and sometimes they're at the 50, which makes a huge difference in the readings), etc.

So until there's a uniform measuring system, these numbers will always be way off and consequently incapable of accurate comparison. Further, and back to OP's main and original point, the Arrowhead record was NOT sustained throughout the game, nor was it close to the average noise level for the game, as there would have been approximately 76,416 cases of burst ear drums at KC hospitals the next day (which didn't happen). It does not demonstrate or measure their impact on the game, the way a reading for a sustained crowd noise does, as that is more of a measure of the average noise of the game. Even then, there's massive flaws in comparing the numbers.

Not to say the Arrowhead record isn't impressive, it's just not perfectly indicative of crowd impact (yes it's a very impactful stadium, but it's #1 decibel reading does not equal #1 most impactful stadium).

Nonetheless, this could be one of the loudest in Neyland history. WGWTFA

I sincerely doubt the veracity of some of those other team’s numbers. Neyand also has gotten a whole hell of a lot louder than 114 or 115 that we claim. I sat in the East sideline upper deck and someone in my section had an app that clocked us in well above 115, I don’t remember the exact number but it was 10-15 points higher than our official number. Keep in mind that was in the upper deck, down below us it’d have been much louder. Also to further my point someone on this forum posted about clocking us at 112 during 19 Carolina game. That game with less than 90k present at 112 really adds to my doubt that 2015 OU was only 115.

I sincerely doubt the veracity of some of those other team’s numbers. Neyand also has gotten a whole hell of a lot louder than 114 or 115 that we claim. I sat in the East sideline upper deck and someone in my section had an app that clocked us in well above 115, I don’t remember the exact number but it was 10-15 points higher than our official number. Keep in mind that was in the upper deck, down below us it’d have been much louder. Also to further my point someone on this forum posted about clocking us at 112 during 19 Carolina game. That game with less than 90k present at 112 really adds to my doubt that 2015 OU was only 115.
I can guarantee you’re right. It really only matters at a certain point though. If you can’t communicate you can’t communicate regardless of whether it’s really loud or the loudest of anywhere on earth. Sustained loud crowd noise throughout the game could help some.

I can guarantee you’re right. It really only matters at a certain point though. If you can’t communicate you can’t communicate regardless of whether it’s really loud or the loudest of anywhere on earth. Sustained loud crowd noise throughout the game could help some.
I agree sustained noise is more important than record noise one play then no noise the next one.

The point or points of measurement make a big difference. You’ll get a much different read in certain parts of the stands than you would in the middle of the field.

And as @VFL-82-JP correctly points out, decibels are measured on a log scale. The magnitudes of difference in decibel in different stadiums may have been engineered by strategically placing the measurement device. As far as I know, there’s no standard of measurement to ensure any consistency across venues.

Has anyone mentioned that to actually get the record, a certified judge must be there to document it?

Actually, We only need 114 (Oklahoma level) for half the game!!!!!
We want dead silence when we have the ball ... until our runner breaks clear for a long TD run or our receiver breaks clear with the ball in hand ... then we rumble into action with a cheer!

Just watch it one more time (3 years old) ... it never gets old (for me) and it is only 2 minutes long ...
Narrated by VFL Admiral Schofield, ...

The 12th man CAN cause delay of games and illegal procedure penalties ... and inspire our 11 teammates on defense!!! Let's shoot for US causing more than 4 penalties on Saturday night.

Let's save ourselves, and pace ourselves and surprise them with just a tiny sample of noise when OM comes out on the field at game time ... and then strike fear into their hearts and minds when the VOLS come out of the T!!!!
We want to declare: We Are Here! Let's welcome CLK back to Ktown with a 'wall of noise' that is 'constant oppressive force' ... you cannot run an offense very well if you can't hear anything but US!

@AD_DannyWhite : Can you show a volume level meter on the big screen to let us know how we are doing on Saturday???? Actually can we do 7 of them??? Wherever they recorded the 114 for the Oklahoma game ... that's one spot we want to measure in this game!!!! Course we would love it if you showed noise levels from different parts of the stadium, too ... 7 in all would be so cool, right. Upper deck on each side (2), the end zones and each side of the lower deck (4) and the spot we recorded the 114 for OU game.

#CheckerNeyland #GBO #WeAreHere

VN Store

Back