142.2 dbA

The point or points of measurement make a big difference. You’ll get a much different read in certain parts of the stands than you would in the middle of the field.

And as @VFL-82-JP correctly points out, decibels are measured on a log scale. The magnitudes of difference in decibel in different stadiums may have been engineered by strategically placing the measurement device. As far as I know, there’s no standard of measurement to ensure any consistency across venues.

Hey! I pointed out the location of measurement making a significant difference. Where's my shoutout?? Haha just kidding. Much love.

Plus, VFL-82-JP deserves it for remembering the logarithmic nature to the measurements, as I had forgotten that! Absolutely correct to subtly note that there may have been some strategic engineering to KC's record. Goes to show that the decibel rating does not equate to impact, even though it's used in said manner. Correlation, not causation scenario.

No disrespect to KC but I’ve been there to a playoff game, it’s loud, really loud for an NFL stadium. It’s not close imo to Tennessee, LSU, Florida.

Idk about the decibel record how it was recorded, or obtained, etc. but I do know that places like Tennessee like LSU are hard as hell to communicate in consistently during the course of the game. Several players and coaches have also referenced this. There are definitely places better designed to contain and amplify sound kind of like a all concrete bathroom and someone yelling inside it. But as far as constant sound those college venues are hard to play in.

Actually, We only need 114 (Oklahoma level) for half the game!!!!!
We want dead silence when we have the ball ... until our runner breaks clear for a long TD run or our receiver breaks clear with the ball in hand ... then we rumble into action with a cheer!

Just watch it one more time (3 years old) ... it never gets old (for me) and it is only 2 minutes long ...
Narrated by VFL Admiral Schofield, ...

The 12th man CAN cause delay of games and illegal procedure penalties ... and inspire our 11 teammates on defense!!! Let's shoot for US causing more than 4 penalties on Saturday night.

Let's save ourselves, and pace ourselves and surprise them with just a tiny sample of noise when OM comes out on the field at game time ... and then strike fear into their hearts and minds when the VOLS come out of the T!!!!
We want to declare: We Are Here! Let's welcome CLK back to Ktown with a 'wall of noise' that is 'constant oppressive force' ... you cannot run an offense very well if you can't hear anything but US!

@AD_DannyWhite : Can you show a volume level meter on the big screen to let us know how we are doing on Saturday???? Actually can we do 7 of them??? Wherever they recorded the 114 for the Oklahoma game ... that's one spot we want to measure in this game!!!! Course we would love it if you showed noise levels from different parts of the stadium, too ... 7 in all would be so cool, right. Upper deck on each side (2), the end zones and each side of the lower deck (4) and the spot we recorded the 114 for OU game.

#CheckerNeyland #GBO #WeAreHere

THE ADMIRAL !!! One of the all time greats of any sport for the UT VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure it won't top OU 2015. I think it might get real close.
If we jump on them early like we have the last two weeks, I believe the record may fall… but if we come out slow and get behind and show no signs of being able to slow them down then we may start hearing crickets

On 9.29.14 vs. New England, Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City achieved the Guinness World Record for loudest crowd noise at 142.2 dbA. On 9.12.15 vs. Oklahoma, Jeff Jarnigan announced that Neyland Stadium had set a new high score for noise at 114 dbA.

The difference is, reports state that it's uncertain when the record was set at Neyland. Neyland was a sustained noise. Arrowhead had callouts on their jumbotron exhorting folks to make noise to set the record.

Checker Neyland. 102,455 in the stands (Arrowhead is 76,416 for the record). The return of Lane. 7:30 kickoff. My loud, proud, rowdy hell-raising Big Orange brethren and sisteren in the stands after a day of tailgating and consumption of adult beverages.

We've already given "a dissertation on the effect that crowd noise can have on a game", let's go big and get ourselves another Guiness World Record (we should be in there for largest attendance at a college football game for the Battle at Bristol), and not only beat Ole Miss, but beat the Chiefs as well. I think we can do better than 142.2 decibels, y'all.

(*waiting for someone that understands acoustics far better than I do to explain why it can't/won't happen......)
I have been to Arrowhead Stadium 3 times and you cannot hear yourself think. The stadium is built for noise it is the loudest envirionment I have ever been in....I did think that we achieved a 122 db on the field in the 90s.

Reactions: DeusExMachina
All of these numbers are pointless unless they all use the same exact meter placed at the exact same place on the field with no obstructions within 10ft. Most of these "tests" are done with cheap handheld meters (extremely inaccurate) with people and objects reflecting sound. I remember seeing them use a $20 meter at Oregon. Unless these readings come from a calibrated Term-Lab, I don't believe any of them. There's a reason it's the only meter used in all SPL competition organisation.

Last edited:
Here's the thing that amazes me about these records: the decibel scale is logarithmic.

Which means, starting at Neyland's standing record of 114 dbA, you have to get TEN TIMES as loud (as much sound energy) to get to 124 dbA. And ten times that to get to 134 dbA. And again ten times that to reach 144 dbA.

So Arrowhead's record of 142.2 dbA is (roughly) 10 x 10 x 10 = 1,000 times as much sound energy detected as Neyland's 114 dbA.

Insane.

It really is all about the shape of the stadium's bowl, and overhangs, and the ability to fold sound energy back in on itself.

Plus alcohol, like @fossilfiction said. Heh. :)

Go Vols!
Not exactly accurate. Each 10db increase to our ears is approximately doubling the sound level. I.E. 30db is twice as loud as 20db, 70db twice as loud as 60db. So, to go from say 114db to 134db you would have to get four times as loud as the sound at 114db.... 😱🙉

VN Store

Back