'14 TN WR Josh Malone (UT commit 12/4/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess we can stop guessing as to whether or not Butch would follow suit with Coach Richt. Appears today in his presser he addressed Josh by name as well.

Oops sorry forgot about the whole, "link or it didn't happen" mindset of Volnation...

Paul Fortenberry Retweeted this...

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 20m
Butch Jones on Josh Malone: "Josh is a very, very talented young man who has a bright future ahead of him. He's a complete football player."

Retweeted by Paul Fortenberry

Butch also said, "I've been very cautious of speaking about individuals." Seems as if he made a very general statement about Josh, no hint of "recruiting within the quote" that Richt seemed to do.

So it's just not true that Meyer, Saban, Spurrier and Miles came from "lesser" conferences as successful coaches and transitioned their winning systems quite nicely to National Championship Programs at Florida (twice), Saban (LSU & Bama, 4 times), Florida (once) and Miles (once).

I have given you 4 examples off the top of my head and I'm sure I could give you more. You said their were counter examples.... who? There may be plenty, I don't know. Give me a few who were successful at other conferences and were bad in the SEC.

Successful coaches are, wait for it.....successful coaches, and they tend to be successful no matter where they coach.

Conversely, bad coaches with little to no success in "lesser conferences" or who were not successful collegiate HCs anywhere tend not to do well in the SEC.... I can quickly think of 3 ... Gerry DiNardo, Lane Kiffin and Derek Dooley.

Also, Butch coached vs Charlie Strong, a guy most consider a coaching star and the guy who UT wanted ahead of Jones.... were it not for a narrow 3 point overtime loss at Louisville last year, Butch would've been 3-0 against Strong. To my knowledge Butch never had the opportunity to coach vs Saban... can't say what that outcome would've been, but how does that remotely relate to what we're discussing here? Are you saying that because Butch didn't coach a game vs Saban that his 4 share of or outright conf championships didn't happen or weren't legit?

Finally, you said Butch never had to win games with lesser talented teams. Can you prove that? I saw an analysis shortly after he was hired that showed that while at Cincy, on average, he won 2 games per season that, based on talent evaluations on paper of the 2 teams, he won 2 games per season he was not supposed to win. Isn't that the definition of winning games with lesser talented teams?

Look, I don't, you don't, no one knows if Butch is gonna make it happen here. Time will tell. But I'll stick to my original argument that good coaches who have success and/or win championships in lesser conferences (MAC, Mtn West, Big East,etc) can, have and will continue to run successful programs in the SEC.

tumblr_lr6uiqel0X1r2hybuo1_400.gif

Reactions: 2 people
Butch also said, "I've been very cautious of speaking about individuals." Seems as if he made a very general statement about Josh, no hint of "recruiting within the quote" that Richt seemed to do.

I saw this too, I was surprised after he said how cautious he was he then came out and mentioned Josh by name. I wish like a lot of us on here have seemingly been hoping that we had kept quiet about him.

I still feel confident in our ability to land him especially if Jalen is in his ear.

Meh, Butch dropped a small complimentary statement about Josh, not a in depth look on how he fits into the program.

Still doesn't mean this new FA rule will once again change the game of recruiting! I see the top athletes from across the nation signing their top 5 schools financial agreements and just sitting back and enjoying the show in the years to come! I see it now Urban Meyer, Coach Jones, and Nick Saban all giving WWE style promos to get these players attentions.

"Whatcha Gonna Do Brother!"

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Was butch in home last night or next Tuesday?

TN officials told 247 yesterday they wouldn't speak on uncommitted prospects that have signed papers out of respect for their privacy.

If he visited last night I wonder if they have the ok to make a general comment.

Butchs comment was general. Richt went full out recruit pitch mode. Which tells me we prob are ahead of him. I am not liking this Clemson momentum but at least he would be out of our conference

Serious question...
Have hubbs or fort commented on Malone since his Visit to Clemson and their vastly inferior rock?

I don't see him as a Vonn Bell at all.

Bell and his family purposely led Vol fans into thinking he was committing up until 10 minutes beforehand, on NSD no less.

On the other hand, Malone and his family have shown no such douchebag inclinations at all, and he's announcing 2 months before NSD.

Not a fair comparison.

Totally agree. Malone is a much better prospect than Bell IMO and he's not out there looking for a lot of attention. Bell and his family kept creating all kinds of drama and wanted the big signing day splash and all that. You can tell one kid comes from a humble family and the other from one who was obsessed with any kind of attention. There is nothing "Vonn Bell" to this recruitment. Malone and his family have handled things much better and they dont have a family member out there acting as his "handler" either.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes. Both have said they have no clue what he's going to do. Makes it sound like he is still wide open and uncertain.

If that's true, and it appears it is, at the end of the day doesn't this favor, no matter by how little, the school that he knows the best, has visited the most, is the shortest distance from home?

Yes. Both have said they have no clue what he's going to do. Makes it sound like he is still wide open and uncertain.

Without saying much, I can promise you that the last sentence in that post is 100% true. Whether something changed, or a miscommunication was made, my prior posts about his mind being made up was wrong. I am 100% certain that what you said it sounds like is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back