'14 TN RB Shaun Prevo

Oh ok. Living in Maryville makes you an expert. It also makes you exempt from having to provide evidence to substantiate these tired rumors. Well I lived in Maryville the first 18 years of my life and played football for all four years under Quarles and staff and never once came across a case similar to what you claim.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Everyone in Blount County with their eyes open has at least some suspicion that Alcoa and Maryville have been recruiting since the 50s and maybe before that.

A part of the reason Tennessee high school football will never compare to surrounding states....

Also, for the poster above....if you were any count or your son was any count, would you send him to Heritage over MHS if you could afford tuition? They may recruit, but its easy to see why they get most of the talent in Blount Co., its called a program...

Not to mention the fact that AHS and MHS are both like private schools compared to Heritage and Willy B.

Not to mention the fact that AHS and MHS are both like private schools compared to Heritage and Willy B.

I went to Alcoa. What private education compared to Willy B and Heritage could you possibly be referring to? I must have attended the other..

Recruiting in Blount County is as recognized as the sun coming up in the east. Talk to anybody on a Heritage or William-Blount football team if you would like first hand stories. My cousin coaches a Knoxville team and was a Heritage player. He can tell stories.

I'm a Maryville grad and played football for them back in the 70s. I still live in Maryville and have many friends that are involved with the program.

I'm not aware of anyone ever being "recruited" to play at Maryville - your "proof" of recruiting consists of a meaningless statement of "you should talk to players of other teams and my cousin - he knows!"

This would be like me saying something like "everybody knows that nicksjuzunk is a big Justin Beiber fan, just ask anyone - it is common knowledge...just ask my brother in law - he knows." Your "proof" is proof of nothing.

It amazes me how much jealousy of Maryville and Alcoa there is on this board. The mindset is "Hey they beat us every year - they must be cheating!"

It is all very amusing, it sounds like Aunt Bea and Clara gossiping about Helen Crump dying her hair or some other such nonsense. They just cain't hep saying something negative driven by their jealousy

I've never heard anyone say Alcoa recruits, but I have heard that about Maryville. There is no proof, I go to Willy B and I've seen some "interesting stuff" but theres no proof.

I was talking to a friend of mine, who has some inside info, about Prevo and he said the knock against Prevo was his speed, but that was the knock against Randall Cobb as well.

I say the kid is the real deal...I hope UT gets a real look at him. I don't need another Blount Co player going to UK.

Yeah, I've played aganist him....He's fast as hell.

Maryville and Alcoa do recruit. Just not at the HS level. I played and grew up in Blount county. I was begged to go play ball for the Maryville Rebels and the Southerners as a Pee Wee and Migit football player by both programs. It is done at the lower level from my experience. The coaches do not have a hand in it besides behind the scenes on how they have relationships with the younger teams coaches and make sure those coaches talk the kids into going to Maryville and Alcoa. It is a seed that is set at a younger age by the these coaches that make the parents think about where the best opportunity is for their kids. By being aloud to pay tuition most parents are willing to pay the small amount to get what they think is the best opportunity to play for a college scholarship. Not to mention there is no such thing as a waiting list for a great athelete. For all of you saying there is not fishy stuff going on at Maryville and Alcoa your crazy and YOU know it.

Nope, I don't know it or believe it and until somebody posts something that is factual in nature this won't change.

I'm not from Missouri but until somebody "shows me" I ain't buying it.

I just think it's hilarious how many people post this kind of drivel without offering up any kind of proof other than saying things like "everyone knows it", "just ask anyone", "somebody that I know says so" etc.

Now if you're just saying parents would like to get their sons to play at Maryville due to its winning tradition and excellent education and you want to call this recruiting then go right ahead even if this does not constitute recruiting.

I wonder who Quarles is going to sign next NSD?

Keep the hits coming however - it makes my day every time that I read this kind of immature whining - would you like a little cheese to go with that whine?

Pee Wees and Midgets really? I played for the Alcoa Pee Wee's and midgets. Randall Cobb played for the Eagleton Knight's (a pee wee and midget team) because he wanted to play for the better team at the time even tho we all gave him hell thru the years in elementary middle school. Most kids come to blount county to play for the AHS and MHS to win state titles unless they already live here already no need for recruiting. You sir are a fraud

I've never heard anyone say Alcoa recruits, but I have heard that about Maryville. There is no proof, I go to Willy B and I've seen some "interesting stuff" but theres no proof.

Neither do people just really wanna see their children succeed in hs football

Nope, I don't know it or believe it and until somebody posts something that is factual in nature this won't change.

I'm not from Missouri but until somebody "shows me" I ain't buying it.

I just think it's hilarious how many people post this kind of drivel without offering up any kind of proof other than saying things like "everyone knows it", "just ask anyone", "somebody that I know says so" etc.

Now if you're just saying parents would like to get their sons to play at Maryville due to its winning tradition and excellent education and you want to call this recruiting then go right ahead even if this does not constitute recruiting.

I wonder who Quarles is going to sign next NSD?

Keep the hits coming however - it makes my day every time that I read this kind of immature whining - would you like a little cheese to go with that whine?

I went to WB, and though there isn't recruiting going on like people act, there is definitely talks being had. My best friend growing-up was very, very athletic. Played pee-wee and midget football for Alcoa and had a lot of connections there. The staff at WB knew of him in the 6th grade and made it very clear they we're looking forward to him playing at WB, even our b-ball coach mentioned it. Alcoa's staff also made it very clear they wanted his services. I'm not sure if Maryville ever said anything to him or not, I'll have to ask next time I see him. In the end though, he was given a full scholarship to Webb and I can't blame him for taking it. So there may not be full-blown recruiting but athletic kids are noticed from a young age and are plucked from time to time. Just saying that has been my first-hand experience.

Pee Wees and Midgets really? I played for the Alcoa Pee Wee's and midgets. Randall Cobb played for the Eagleton Knight's (a pee wee and midget team) because he wanted to play for the better team at the time even tho we all gave him hell thru the years in elementary middle school. Most kids come to blount county to play for the AHS and MHS to win state titles unless they already live here already no need for recruiting. You sir are a fraud

I am sure the coaches for your Alcoa team were giving him hell too. Are you really that Nieve to think that no coach for Alcoa ever said to Randall Cobb "hey we would love to have you come to Alcoa and play for us"? That is recruiting weather they are paying for the player or not it is recruiting. The difference in Alcoa and Maryville is they can say it no matter where a kid lives and WB and Herritage can't.

I am sure the coaches for your Alcoa team were giving him hell too. Are you really that Nieve to think that no coach for Alcoa ever said to Randall Cobb "hey we would love to have you come to Alcoa and play for us"? That is recruiting weather they are paying for the player or not it is recruiting. The difference in Alcoa and Maryville is they can say it no matter where a kid lives and WB and Herritage can't.

That's not true at all. We had a guy that lived in Maryville transfer to WB when I was there. Played football for Maryville his first 2 yrs in HS, then transferred to WB. WB and Heritage are county schools, anyone is allowed to enroll there if they want basically, from what I understand at least.

Also, if any of your parents work in the school system you can go to school anywhere you want. Know of a guy that lived in Louisville but went to a school in Knoxville cause his parents were teachers in Knox.

Great programs recruit without saying a word. I have heard rivals cry about this for years, but its an easy answer. Kids and maybe more importantly parents want their kids to play for Maryville HS in football, Farragut HS in baseball, and 10years ago Shelbyville in girls basketball. All have been accused of recruiting but people want to win and have all the other benefits that come with such HS programs. They will jump thru hoops to be apart of those kinds of programs. If those programs inform them what to do to be eligible with the TSSAA after being contacted by the family first then that's not recruiting!

Great programs recruit without saying a word. I have heard rivals cry about this for years, but its an easy answer. Kids and maybe more importantly parents want their kids to play for Maryville HS in football, Farragut HS in baseball, and 10years ago Shelbyville in girls basketball. All have been accused of recruiting but people want to win and have all the other benefits that come with such HS programs. They will jump thru hoops to be apart of those kinds of programs. If those programs inform them what to do to be eligible with the TSSAA after being contacted by the family first then that's not recruiting!

Yea, I'd say this is what most of it is. Things have happened over the years no doubt, I've seen it first-hand but MHS and AHS don't have to try very hard to find the best talent around because it goes to them now. They're both excellent schools and if I lived in Blount County with kids I'd make sure mine went to one of those schools as well cause of the superb academics.

Maryville and Alcoa do recruit. Just not at the HS level. I played and grew up in Blount county. I was begged to go play ball for the Maryville Rebels and the Southerners as a Pee Wee and Migit football player by both programs. It is done at the lower level from my experience. The coaches do not have a hand in it besides behind the scenes on how they have relationships with the younger teams coaches and make sure those coaches talk the kids into going to Maryville and Alcoa. It is a seed that is set at a younger age by the these coaches that make the parents think about where the best opportunity is for their kids. By being aloud to pay tuition most parents are willing to pay the small amount to get what they think is the best opportunity to play for a college scholarship. Not to mention there is no such thing as a waiting list for a great athelete. For all of you saying there is not fishy stuff going on at Maryville and Alcoa your crazy and YOU know it.

Smokey1210 knows how it works. I'm done on this topic because it's already a pissing match and I'd rather respect prevo's thread. Go vols! Beat vandy!!

Dont most maryville players live in other school districts but choose to live in the Maryville school district with a "Dad,mom,grandma,grandpa, aunt, uncle, cousin, family friend".

There is alot of recruiting going on at Maryville High School.

I can't wait for baseball & soccer seasons, then we can talk about Farragut recruiting for baseball and Bearden for soccer:)

Nope. We were all already zoned for alcoa so...

I can't wait for baseball & soccer seasons, then we can talk about Farragut recruiting for baseball and Bearden for soccer:)

Farragut is no slouch in soccer either. Both Farragut and Bearden have won National Titles in Soccer in the last 10yrs.

VN Store

Back