12 team playoff possible for 2022

This system puts last year’s awful Florida team in the playoff. It puts UGA in the same playoffs with two other SEC teams that beat them by 20 in the regular season.

There has never and will never be a season with six teams that all deserve a shot at the national championship.
Same thing for college and nba basketball and same thing for all other levels of college football and nfl.

Bowl games have been largely meaningless for a long time now. This is rose colored nostalgia talking. The playoffs didn't make them meaningless. I've been watching 40 years and I can't remember a time that a bowl like the Sun Bowl or the Inpedence Bowl ever "mattered". Back then outside the big 3-4, nobody much cared. IMO they're worth as much as they've ever mattered.
-

The problem with 4 is 60% of the D1 teams are eliminated before the season starts. They can go undefeated and have no shot.

I think 12 is too many.

I'm a huge proponent of the 8 team model (P5 Champions, 2 Wildcards, and Top non P5 team). This even makes the regular season and championship games more compelling because (for example) a 9-3 UT team that wins the East still has a chance to make the playoff if they beat Bama in the SECCG.
I agree with 8 being the best choice. But would prefer 12 to only 4.

The problem with 4 is 60% of the D1 teams are eliminated before the season starts. They can go undefeated and have no shot.

I think 12 is too many.

I'm a huge proponent of the 8 team model (P5 Champions, 2 Wildcards, and Top non P5 team). This even makes the regular season and championship games more compelling because (for example) a 9-3 UT team that wins the East still has a chance to make the playoff if they beat Bama in the SECCG.

8 teams with conference champions and 2 or 3 wildcards, like you said, is obviously the best solution. Therefore, we can guarantee that it will never happen.

Reactions: Fightmaker
8 teams would be perfect. Move beyond only a couple of teams having a chance but also maintain integrity of the regular season. 12 is too many games

Ugh. It would ruin college football.

Why even have a regular season? It'll just be like basketball where no one cares till March, except it'll be November.

And it'll give us highly enjoyable classics like watching Georgia curb-stomp Wake Forest 48-3. Exciting.

4 is the perfect number for the playoffs. There's rarely a team outside the top 4 that has a legit case for being #1.
Agreed ...sort of. Personally im opposed to a playoff at all unless you won youre conference.

But 12 teams is ridiculous. Cinderella runs can happen in other sports and a Cinderella game may happen in football.

There is a nearly zero possibility that a team has 3 games back to back beating better teams

Same thing for college and nba basketball and same thing for all other levels of college football and nfl.

Exactly. No reason to destroy that which is unique about college football when there are multiple other ways to get that format.

12 is too many, but 8 is reasonable. It makes no sense whatsoever to just arbitrarily blow past 8 and go right to 12.

12 teams allows for the top 4 to have a first round bye.
12 @ 5
11 @ 6
10 @ 7
9 @ 8
I like the 12 team format and it would allow for two rounds of on campus playoff games. Imagine next year or two being in Neyland in December hosting a first round game !!!!

Reactions: rocytop2624
I am always for more football and think how can people think this would ruin anything. Bowl games are dumb but it's more football.

VN Store

Back