12 team playoff possible for 2022

Ugh. It would ruin college football.

Why even have a regular season? It'll just be like basketball where no one cares till March, except it'll be November.

And it'll give us highly enjoyable classics like watching Georgia curb-stomp Wake Forest 48-3. Exciting.

4 is the perfect number for the playoffs. There's rarely a team outside the top 4 that has a legit case for being #1.

Why even have a regular season? It'll just be like basketball where no one cares till March, except it'll be November.

And it'll give us highly enjoyable classics like watching Georgia curb-stomp Wake Forest 48-3. Exciting.

4 is the perfect number for the playoffs. There's rarely a team outside the top 4 that has a legit case for being #1.

Yep or 6 at the most

The problem with 4 is 60% of the D1 teams are eliminated before the season starts. They can go undefeated and have no shot.

I think 12 is too many.

I'm a huge proponent of the 8 team model (P5 Champions, 2 Wildcards, and Top non P5 team). This even makes the regular season and championship games more compelling because (for example) a 9-3 UT team that wins the East still has a chance to make the playoff if they beat Bama in the SECCG.

It is the same as losing a game or two. Fans lose interest because championship hopes are dashed. 12 team playoff would keep more teams and fan bases interested throughout the year. Teams like the Vols, who got better throughout the season, would still have a shot and those non power 5 teams that get left out would finally get an opportunity. I like it.

4 does not work because only Power 5 teams have a chance to get in. Even if they lose a game or two. We have an undefeated Cincinnati team sitting outside the top 4. That is ridiculous. How many years do teams like the Bearcats have to go undefeated to get an opportunity to play for a championship? Will they get hammered by SEC schools? Probably, but so does Notre Dame, Ohio State and Michigan....In fact, I believe the Vols are better than those three!

The problem with 4 is 60% of the D1 teams are eliminated before the season starts. They can go undefeated and have no shot.

I think 12 is too many.

I'm a huge proponent of the 8 team model (P5 Champions, 2 Wildcards, and Top non P5 team). This even makes the regular season and championship games more compelling because (for example) a 9-3 UT team that wins the East still has a chance to make the playoff if they beat Bama in the SECCG.
I think 8 is the optimal balance

You mean like Bama curb stomping Notre Dame or LSU blowing out OU? Having only 4 doesnt protect us from snoozers. Having 6 last year would possibly have gotten Cincy and UGA in..... which turned out to be possibly the best bowl game.

Good, past due. Instead of blue chip recruits being concentrated at 5 to 6 schools, 15 or so schools will get a real shot at landing blue chips. More parity.

Some of the above arguments are the same arguments made when the NCAA was considering increasing the basketball tournament field from 16 to 32 teams. Before expansion, a short list of schools would get all of the blue chips. Tournament expansion brought parity and took college basketball to the next level.

Football playoff expansion is a good thing.

I want to see a complete playoff just like D-2 and lower. The playoff games take the bowl game names. I have always wondered why D-1 football is the only sport that didn't have a true playoff. I don't like the voting aspect of the current playoff system. Win the conference and advance. Use the same logic as D-2. I don't care what the rest of you think, this is my opinion.

Completely agree with expansion. Right now, lose two games and your season is over....unless you're named Bama. Then, you get in even though Cin is undefeated and several power 5 conference winners only have one loss. Ubsurd.

I'd rather see 8 than 12, but 12 or 16 (as in FCS) would be superior to 4, which was always a poor decision leaving many deserving teams on the outside.

I agree this move would add to parity of where the talent was committing and would make the season exciting for longer for teams that lose early.

Reactions: StoneColdStunner
Why 12? Seems like 8 would be a better choice. 5 conference champions and 3 at-large.
I do think 8 would be the natural progression, but like someone mentioned above, it'll keep interest longer (I think 8 would accomplish this too)

So for all practical purposes….
We will basically have the SEC Football Tournament. Just the best teams in the league Just like the Conference Basketball tournament 😉

64 team playoff for BB and 12 team playoff for FB------not even close to being the same thing

I don’t want to see a number where teams get byes. 8 sounds good. It’s college ball. Its already hard enough on teams to keep guys healthy. No team needs a bye week. The advantage of a 1 seed playing an 8 is enough of an advantage. It’s be over by halftime and subs can play. Georgia would pound whatever 8 seed they are up against. No need to let the have an extra game to rest. Just my opinion.

To he honest.. I would not mind getting rid of the playoffs. In the beginning I was all for it. Now they keep adding in conditions such as if a team doesn't win good enough etc may not make the cut.. They have ruined it and killed the traditional bowl games. I'd prefer to go back to standard bowl games and and arguing over who the best team is at the end of the season. 🤷🏻

Going to 12 is bad for several reasons:

Rarely if ever are there more than 4-6 teams that are truly contenders.

12 creates a bye scenario, which is too much of a disparity in my opinion. Essentially a play-in game.

Totally devalues bowl season. If we expand to 12, why not just do every bowl eligible team and reduce the regular season to 10 games?

I like 4, could see 8 at the very most. 12 is ridiculous.

To he honest.. I would not mind getting rid of the playoffs. In the beginning I was all for it. Now they keep adding in conditions such as if a team doesn't win good enough etc may not make the cut.. They have ruined it and killed the traditional bowl games. I'd prefer to go back to standard bowl games and and arguing over who the best team is at the end of the season. 🤷🏻
If they are going to have a playoff, do it like @OffTackleVol said.
I kinda liked the arguments of the past. Split NC's.
Sugar Bowl tie in for SEC was the #1 goal.

we will get ripped for it here, but I agree. It made D1 college football unique.
Bowl games mean nothing now.

If they are going to have a playoff, do it like @OffTackleVol said.
I kinda liked the arguments of the past. Split NC's.
Sugar Bowl tie in for SEC was the #1 goal.

we will get ripped for it here, but I agree. It made D1 college football unique.
Bowl games mean nothing now.
I was all for playoffs.. All these conditions keep getting added... If a team doesn't cover the spread or quality of opponents they play etc.. Doesn't matter about just winning anymore.. Playoffs to me is for teams that peak at the end of the season to give a chance... I hate the bowl games are meaningless now.

Reactions: CR-vol and peaygolf

VN Store

Back