'12 LA DT Gerron Borne

Illinois and Pitt both had more players drafted than we did, and both those schools had 1st round draft picks as well. Don't let any facts get in your way though.

As bad as Zook has done in some instances, the one thing most people won't argue about is that he has an eye for talent. Man can recruit pretty well.

I know he has an offer, but I don't remember the coaches taking this guy's commitment anyway. It's a strange situation and maybe his offer isn't committable. If the coaches take him though, you have to trust their judgement. So far they've done pretty well in that regard.

Borne is acting publicly like he is waiting to commit for his own reasons, but privately I do not think the coaches will accept his commitment yet.

I hope we don't wait to long. Asking these kids to wait is usually not a good idea. Thinking we had better players on the string cost us last year.

I dont think they are accepting his commitment either at this point. His lack of offers is certainly alarming. I mean you have a Louisisiana kid, in the heart of SEC country, that not even one other SEC school has offered, including the doormats.

With numbers the way they are this year, there is no sense in just taking every DT out there. Unless they are can't miss difference makers, be selective, get them on campus and find out who is legit.

I dont think they are accepting his commitment either at this point. His lack of offers is certainly alarming. I mean you have a Louisisiana kid, in the heart of SEC country, that not even one other SEC school has offered, including the doormats.

With numbers the way they are this year, there is no sense in just taking every DT out there. Unless they are can't miss difference makers, be selective, get them on campus and find out who is legit.

With our numbers at DT, I don't think we can be REAL selective. While taking scrubs is not a good idea, sitting back and waiting for the top 10 DT's in the nation to come calling is not a good idea either. Top DT's have not given the Vols much love in the last couple classes.

We can be selective because of the DTs the coaches feel good about, Pace. We will have a class full of DTs that can play. That may or may not include Gerron Borne.

We can be selective because of the DTs the coaches feel good about, Pace. We will have a class full of DTs that can play. That may or may not include Gerron Borne.

Have we not been saying that or hoping it for the last 2-3 classes? I am pretty sure we needed a class full of DT's who could play last year as well. I do hope your right this time around.

Have we not been saying that or hoping it for the last 2-3 classes? I am pretty sure we needed a class full of DT's who could play last year as well. I do hope your right this time around.

You're right, but we are really in on a lot more this year than last. And say we miss on all of our prospects, a guy like Borne isn't going to jump for the opportunity to play at UT over Memphis? And if not Borne, there are other DTs out there we can identify.

Gabe Wright and Timmy Jernigan kind of held us hostage last year a little bit. We really felt like we would get one of both of those guys and it hurt our DT class.

With our numbers at DT, I don't think we can be REAL selective. While taking scrubs is not a good idea, sitting back and waiting for the top 10 DT's in the nation to come calling is not a good idea either. Top DT's have not given the Vols much love in the last couple classes.

We have family ties to Shanks. Kirven really likes us. It is a very strong 3, but you seem to be discounting that this is a better recruiting situation for Dooley than last year, and last year we ended up second with Jernigan, Wright and Mickey Johnson. Those are 3 of the top DTs.

I said this before and I am repeating it.

Biggest weaknesses right now on the roster?
TE
D Line
LBs

Best hauls? The staff feels better about D Line than the other two positions although they will work very hard on all 3.

We will have 1 or 2 absolute stud WR, same selective kind of work with other positions. We will not even take a QB if it is not one of the top guys we are after.

At DT we already have projects like Carson on the roster and unless we miss alot I would not anticipate taking a backup. We are also still looking at 1 more JUCO. Shanks, Kirven, O'Brien...this could be a position that we go from weakness to strength in 1 class.

DT Gerron Borne of Resere (La.) East St. John still calls the #Vols his leader. Adds that #Minnesota is among those now showing interest
Keith Niebuhr

Borne will be a Vol. It's only a matter of time. The coaches want him to hold off his comittment and that's not an opinion. Mark my words, he will be a 2012 commit.

I agree Sab, Borne will be a Vol I just think the staff are holding off on his commitment to see if they can land any of the bigtime DT's first.

Borne will be a Vol. It's only a matter of time. The coaches want him to hold off his comittment and that's not an opinion. Mark my words, he will be a 2012 commit.

Why would they make him wait if reguardless of who commits they still plan to accept his commitment?

Just to make sure the correct decision is made.

I
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Sounds to me like a conditional offer. Saying he is a sure Vol come NSD would not be correct. If they plan on taking 4 DTs and 4 DTs they feel are better commit, Borne would be out of luck. Otherwise...they would let him commit now. It just baffles me as we are in SERIOUS need of DT's and I think putting these kids off is a risk. Hope we do not end up missing on all the big ones again.

I think they are doing what most schools do, they want the 4 and 5 star prospects first. The waiting game is played with the rest of the recruits.

VN Store

Back