10 Wins

Extremely unlikely UT beats UGA or Bama.

Our history says it is unlikely UT will beat UF even with a new coach.

The Vols usually beat Kentucky / but they will have the talent and experience to beat us.

South Carolina is improving.

I am not sure about LSU’s roster but I think they probably have more talent.

Each season (obviously) has its own story lines of injuries, unexpected heroes, met and unmet expectations.

But with our deficiencies in depth overall and especially on the defensive side of the ball . . . I think we lose to Bama, UGA, Florida, LSU, and at least one of USC / Mizzou / Kentucky.

7-5 is where I think we land. 6-6 would not surprise me. 8-4 would surprise me a little.

Wins- Bowling Green, TN Tech, Missouri, USCe, South Alabama, and Vandy. The rest of the schedule I believe we lose. Thats just my opinion, and I think Pitt is much better then people think. I hope I'm wrong tho.
Nah, Pitt will be a much easier opponent this year even in their own Stadium. They lost their Senior QB Pickett whom literlly willed them a win against us last year. If it weren't for his play making ability and compusre we easily would have won that game.

Reactions: robneyland69420
Nah, Pitt will be a much easier opponent this year even in their own Stadium. They lost their Senior QB Pickett whom literlly willed them a win against us last year. If it weren't for his play making ability and compusre we easily would have won that game.
They got Kedon Slovis out of the Portal though, he's got alot of upside, had a great freshman year at USC and since has been hampered by injury. If he is healthy and back to form they could be tough again.

Yeah I’m not sure why I didn’t include LSU. I think that is a winnable game as well.
LSU is winnable, but likely still an uphill climb. They've always got alot of talent, they will probably be Top 5-6 in terms of overall roster talent and they got a huge upgrade at coach from Orgeron to Kelly, don't let anybody kid you, Kelly is a good coach. I'm not writing that game off but I don't think you can ever really assume a win in Tiger Stadium either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remy
I think 7-5 or 6-6 if we get excessive injuries. Hell, If we get excessive injuries to key players it could get worse than that.

This year will tell us a lot about where we're headed under Heupel. Can he figure out how to take a step forward with this offense? Can the defense improve? OL, Secondary and LBs have to all improve or I think we're looking 7-5 at best next year. Maybe even 6-6.

I think I need to see 9 wins to feel good moving forward which isn't unrealistic.

We aren't beating Bammer and UGA. But we can beat anyone else after that. I think LSU will be a tough one on the road, but not unwinnable......we can beat UF and Pitt. After that we're talking about games that we should win.

I won't be ready to fire him after winning 8...but anything less is just really mediocre. He's got to win a game or 2 this year that really matters. UF would be a good one to start with.

Reactions: VFLz15
9-3 or bust. Honestly think we beat UGA. Defense won't be what it was and their offense is nothing special.

Pitt will likely start the year as a top 15 team. Pickett is about all they lost and, as the poster below you said, they picked up a big time transfer QB. People better stop sleeping on Pitt and that’s a road game on top of the talent they have. That’s a toss up game and I feel more confident about beating UK than I do Pitt.

9-3 or bust. Honestly think we beat UGA. Defense won't be what it was and their offense is nothing special.
I agree UGA's defense won't be as good (though when has their defense been bad under Smart) but where do people get this stuff about their offense? They were 9th nationally in scoring offense (38.6 ppg) last year and they are returning alot of it. For comparison our offense, which we can all agree is pretty good was 7th at 39.3 ppg. They sucked on offense the year after Chaney left when James Coley was OC. That's all I can figure, but that was there 1 year, they were pretty good on offense before that and since.

Fans who don't follow recruiting regularly don't realize how far we are behind Bama and UGA roster wise. This past year Bama signed like 15 top 100 players and UGA signed 12. We signed 0. Multiply that by 5 and that's about how big a hole talent wise we are in to them. Those teams reload. Getting Nico's commitment was big but we need alot more like that over several classes to start to close the gap. I think all the games on the schedule are winnable but those two. We'd need to play perfect and get 4-5 turnovers like Ole Miss did against Bama that time to have a good shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackaro
I agree UGA's defense won't be as good (though when has their defense been bad under Smart) but where do people get this stuff about their offense? They were 9th nationally in scoring offense (38.6 ppg) last year and they are returning alot of it. For comparison our offense, which we can all agree is pretty good was 7th at 39.3 ppg. They sucked on offense the year after Chaney left when James Coley was OC. That's all I can figure, but that was there 1 year, they were pretty good on offense before that and since.

Fans who don't follow recruiting regularly don't realize how far we are behind Bama and UGA roster wise. This past year Bama signed like 15 top 100 players and UGA signed 12. We signed 0. Multiply that by 5 and that's about how big a hole talent wise we are in to them. Those teams reload. Getting Nico's commitment was big but we need alot more like that over several classes to start to close the gap. I think all the games on the schedule are winnable but those two. We'd need to play perfect and get 4-5 turnovers like Ole Miss did against Bama that time to have a good shot.

A lot of that is sure to their defense giving them a short field consistently. Let's recall that their offenses in years prior have never been even top 30, despite elite talent. So it certainly seems like 2021 was the aberration here.

Don't get me wrong, they had a good offense, and will likely have a good offense again. However, they aren't built for a shootout. Also, South Carolina and Muschamp beat UGA like 2-3 years ago with a backup QB, in Athens no less. So it can be done.

While we certainly shouldn't "expect" to beat UGA or Bama, it also shouldn't be considered some impossible task.

Last edited:
A lot of that is sure to their defense giving them a short field consistently. Let's recall that their offenses in years prior have never been even top 30, despite elite talent. So it certainly seems like 2021 was the aberration here.

Don't get me wrong, they had a good offense, and will likely have a good offense again. However, they aren't built for a shootout. Also, South Carolina and Muschamp beat UGA like 2-3 years ago with a backup QB, in Athens no less. So it can be done.

While we certainly shouldn't "expect" to beat UGA or Bama, it also shouldn't be considered some impossible task.
Bama and UGA have each lost 1 game to an unranked opponent in the last 5 years (Bama 21' A&M and UGA 19' Scar) the fewest in FBS, so there's always hope I guess. UGA sucked on offense when Coley was OC in 19'. The guy they have had the last 2 seasons is pretty good though, I was hoping he'd go back to the NFL, doesn't look like he's going to, at least this year.

Bama and UGA have each lost 1 game to an unranked opponent in the last 5 years (Bama 21' A&M and UGA 19' Scar) the fewest in FBS, so there's always hope I guess. UGA sucked on offense when Coley was OC in 19'. The guy they have had the last 2 seasons is pretty good though, I was hoping he'd go back to the NFL, doesn't look like he's going to, at least this year.

Again, not saying they suck on offense or anything. They have a great OL and a stable of 5* RBs. But Bennett is a glorified game manager. He isn't beating you in a shoot out. Of course, the chances UGA defense allows a shoutout isn't super likely, but still, the chance is there.

Their offense took advantage of short field positions all season long, which is why, despite a high scoring offense, they ended up outside the top 25 in total yards. It's a lot easier to score points when you're average field position is the 45 yard line. There is a reason they got smoked in the SEC Championship when Bama was fully healthy. Our offense did just as well (actually better) than UGA did against Bama's defense in either game, despite having no 5 star players at any of the skill positions.

UGA is mortal and if it wasn't for Jameson Williams and Metchie getting hurt in back to back games, we're still pointing and laughing at UGA and how much they choke.

Last edited:
They got Kedon Slovis out of the Portal though, he's got alot of upside, had a great freshman year at USC and since has been hampered by injury. If he is healthy and back to form they could be tough again.

Slovis is no Pickett though. Granted he was highly touted coming out of High School, but Pickett had the "it" factor and could put a team on his back. He did it in multiple games last season. I don't see Slovis doing that in his first season. I think he has at least two years left, and I could see him having it in his second year in the program like Pickett last year.

Again, not saying they suck on offense or anything. They have a great OL and a stable of 5* RBs. But Bennett is a glorified game manager. He isn't beating you in a shoot out. Of course, the chances UGA defense allows a shoutout isn't super likely, but still, the chance is there.

Their offense took advantage of short field positions all season long, which is why, despite a high scoring offense, they ended up outside the top 25 in total yards. It's a lot easier to score points when you're average field position is the 45 yard line. There is a reason they got smoked in the SEC Championship when Bama was fully healthy. Our offense did just as well (actually better) than UGA did against Bama's defense in either game, despite having no 5 star players at any of the skill positions.

UGA is mortal and if it wasn't for Jameson Williams and Metchie getting hurt in back to back games, we're still pointing and laughing at UGA and how much they choke.
They also only operated their offense about 2.5 quarters a game in all but about 3 games, and went into kill clock mode after that, so doubtless they'd have had more yards and points if they left it wide open. I thought the difference in the 2 championship games was Bama blocked them alot better in the first game, and in the second game Young was consistently harassed. Regardless, you hit on the proper talking point to UGA fans, tell them they wouldn't have won without Bama's injuries, and then tell Bama fans that injuries are part of the game, that UGA had injuries too and to stop their whining, lol.

Slovis is no Pickett though. Granted he was highly touted coming out of High School, but Pickett had the "it" factor and could put a team on his back. He did it in multiple games last season. I don't see Slovis doing that in his first season. I think he has at least two years left, and I could see him having it in his second year in the program like Pickett last year.
It's an unknown with him. Slovis threw 30 touchdowns at Southern Cal as a freshman. He's got a high ceiling if he stays healthy. Call it an x factor at worst. I think we probably win that game but they could end up being pretty good again too.

Reactions: perico
We don't beat FLA till we beat FLA. That's JMO given the lopsided history of our luck against them. I've read a couple of publications already picking Pitt to win again at home and go 10-2, winning the ACC. They're going to be a tough out unless we can get to their QB early and often and get excellent play from our secondary. IDK. Don't think we beat Bama or UGA. We will play them tough, but I don't know that we can pull off an upset yet. Depending on Lady Luck, or lack of her presence, 8-4 or 9-3. I just think we get bit by at least one other team not named Georgia or Bama.

If we don't beat UF this yr with all their turmoil and new coaches, who knows how long the losing streak will go. Vols have choked away so many winnable games against them I have lost count. Time to take UF off the list of loses you can count before the season starts.

Nothing wrong with hoping for 10 wins. It would be great, but Heuple's team isn't fully built yet, and not likely to happen. My concern is that people make these unreasonable expectations and then want to fire someone if they come up short. 4th year will be awesome!

Reactions: GoodlettsvilleVol
This year will tell us a lot about where we're headed under Heupel. Can he figure out how to take a step forward with this offense? Can the defense improve? OL, Secondary and LBs have to all improve or I think we're looking 7-5 at best next year. Maybe even 6-6.

I think I need to see 9 wins to feel good moving forward which isn't unrealistic.

We aren't beating Bammer and UGA. But we can beat anyone else after that. I think LSU will be a tough one on the road, but not unwinnable......we can beat UF and Pitt. After that we're talking about games that we should win.

I won't be ready to fire him after winning 8...but anything less is just really mediocre. He's got to win a game or 2 this year that really matters. UF would be a good one to start with.
Only 9 wins to feel good? So 9-4?

And then ya say we're not even winning 2.

Then lsu you say will be tough. Uf and pitt are "winnable"...so 50/50? We're already down to ~3.75 or so losses (assuming you thought we were 25/75 vs LSU).

Now...all we have to do is sweep 3 more ~60/40 to 75/25 games, such as UK, Mizzou, USCjr...

Oh and plus a bowl game, likely to be ~50/50.

Is that ALL you need? 😁

If we don't beat UF this yr with all their turmoil and new coaches, who knows how long the losing streak will go. Vols have choked away so many winnable games against them I have lost count. Time to take UF off the list of loses you can count before the season starts.
It's definitely the most winnable of the big 3 but last year they had the 7th most talented roster in CFB and we had the 19th on the 247 team talent composite. It'll probably be closer talent wise this year but I don't think it'll be in we "should" beat them territory.

Reactions: Devo182
It's definitely the most winnable of the big 3 but last year they had the 7th most talented roster in CFB and we had the 19th on the 247 team talent composite. It'll probably be closer talent wise this year but I don't think it'll be in we "should" beat them territory.
And the actual point gap was quite large. Iirc it was the same talent gap as between us and UK.

Mullen recruited pretty sufficiently, despite passing opinions. He hit the portal hard.

That said, I'm thinking they fall out of the top 10 (not by much) and we'll be about the same...depending on late transfers. Our 2022 class is only 26th at this point. Room to improve late though with a few more transfers.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol

VN Store

Back