10-2 Next year, What say you?

7-5 We loose the entire offensive line - have an up proven QB and 3 good running backs....losses include Alabama, Georgia, Missouri, Florida and possibly one other game unless we pick up some good transfers.
Do we?
There’s NIL money that says a couple might be back.
We honestly don’t know who we will have next year

Hyatt came out of nowhere too so anything could happen.
I disagree. He didn't come out of nowhere, but he's a perfect example of what's currently missing from this team. He wasn't having the success but got guidance from those around him and decided to really fight for what he wanted. His work on the jugs machine and in the off season is well known. He fought for what he wanted and he earned his way into the NFL. Last year we rode the coattails of a small core group of special players. They met a system that they were tailor made to play in. The stars aligned and we had a dream season...well...for UT that is. Now can lightning strike twice? Sure, but it was never going to happen with this roster and with this QB. Those players are gone. Golesh the OC and one of the big disciplinarians on the staff is also gone. Based on what I'm seeing, I have to think the loss of Golesh is just as big, if not bigger, than the loss of Hooker. Hooker was always going to have an expiration date. Golesh was a coach who's impact would be felt from class to class. I don't think anyone really understood how much this team was losing when he went to USF. I know I certainly didn't. Pretty clear to me now though.

I disagree. He didn't come out of nowhere, but he's a perfect example of what's currently missing from this team. He wasn't having the success but got guidance from those around him and decided to really fight for what he wanted. His work on the jugs machine and in the off season is well known. He fought for what he wanted and he earned his way into the NFL. Last year we rode the coattails of a small core group of special players. They met a system that they were tailor made to play in. The stars aligned and we had a dream season...well...for UT that is. Now can lightning strike twice? Sure, but it was never going to happen with this roster and with this QB. Those players are gone. Golesh the OC and one of the big disciplinarians on the staff is also gone. Based on what I'm seeing, I have to think the loss of Golesh is just as big, if not bigger, than the loss of Hooker. Hooker was always going to have an expiration date. Golesh was a coach who's impact would be felt from class to class. I don't think anyone really understood how much this team was losing when he went to USF. I know I certainly didn't. Pretty clear to me now though.
So basically we agree.
To the average fan he came out of nowhere.
He most definitely worked his ass off and became something special.
There’s no telling who else might fit that category.

And this has been beat to death but coach G was only with Hypel 3 years and only the OC for 2. Hypel’s offense has been successful long before coach G and will be successful again.

So basically we agree.
To the average fan he came out of nowhere.
He most definitely worked his ass off and became something special.
There’s no telling who else might fit that category.

And this has been beat to death but coach G was only with Hypel 3 years and only the OC for 2. Hypel’s offense has been successful long before coach G and will be successful again.
Heupel has only been a head coach for 6 years so Golesh has been with him for half the time. I know we lost a lot of talent since Heupel has arrived, and I know talent covers a lot of warts, but there's just something off about this years team. Can't quite put my finger on it. It's kind of like having some old milk in the fridge. You smell it to see if it's okay. Doesn't smell like it's turned sour, but it doesn't smell right either. You just know something is wrong though.

Heupel has only been a head coach for 6 years so Golesh has been with him for half the time. I know we lost a lot of talent since Heupel has arrived, and I know talent covers a lot of warts, but there's just something off about this years team. Can't quite put my finger on it. It's kind of like having some old milk in the fridge. You smell it to see if it's okay. Doesn't smell like it's turned sour, but it doesn't smell right either. You just know something is wrong though.
Golesh was a position coach for 2 of those 3 years. He’s clearly a good coach but he’s not the reason for Hypels success.
I agree that the talent we lost before Hypel arrived is unbelievable. His first year coaching here my be his best year as a coach. The loss of NFL guys last year hurt too. Those are guys we developed. This year’s problem was the serious lack of a leader with confidence. That’s the most glaring issue I’m seeing. Who is the “Al Wilson” for this team next year.

I hope we have one

Going off the schedule, here is my very early guess:

1700489445596.png

Chattanooga - Win
NC State - Win (but this one could be a toss-up)
Kent State - Win
UTEP - Win
at Arkansas - Win
at Georgia - Loss
at Oklahoma - Loss
Alabama - Loss
Florida - Win (I actually think they win this time)
Kentucky - Win
Miss State - Win
at Vandy - Win

9-3 is possible but I could see 7-5. It will come down to Arkansas, NC State, and Florida. Those 3 games are most critical toss-up games.

Schedule seems easier for us.

Golesh was a position coach for 2 of those 3 years. He’s clearly a good coach but he’s not the reason for Hypels success.
I agree that the talent we lost before Hypel arrived is unbelievable. His first year coaching here my be his best year as a coach. The loss of NFL guys last year hurt too. Those are guys we developed. This year’s problem was the serious lack of a leader with confidence. That’s the most glaring issue I’m seeing. Who is the “Al Wilson” for this team next year.

I hope we have one
I'm not talking about his abilities as an OC. I'm talking his impact on discipline. By all accounts he was a demanding cuss who had an eye for the little things and demanded attention to those details. We just don't have the look of a disciplined, focused team. We also look soft. The old saying goes...a team is a reflection of it's coaching staff.

View attachment 596880

Chattanooga - Win
Kent State - Win
UTEP - Win
at Arkansas - Win
at Georgia - Loss
at Oklahoma - Loss
Alabama - Loss
Kentucky - Win
Miss State - Win
at Vandy - Win

9-3 is possible but I could see 7-5. It will come down to Arkansas, NC State, and Florida. Those 3 games are most critical toss-up games.

Chattanooga - Win
NC State - Loss (not in neyland) but we REALLY need this win
Kent State - Win
UTEP - Win
at Arkansas - Loss (not in neyland)
at Georgia - Loss no matter where we play
at Oklahoma - Loss (not in neyland)
Alabama - Loss it's bama
Florida - hahaha...you have to ask?
Kentucky - Win
Miss State - Win
at Vandy - Win

My one caveat is what will be left of this team mentally and physically at the end of that midseason gauntlet? I can easily see us struggling in our last 3 games if we're back to playing for bowl eligibility.

View attachment 596880

Chattanooga - Win
Kent State - Win
UTEP - Win
at Arkansas - Win
at Georgia - Loss
at Oklahoma - Loss
Alabama - Loss
Kentucky - Win
Miss State - Win
at Vandy - Win

I was listening to the Volquest podcast yesterday and they talking about Nico getting/not getting snaps and I swear Price slipped and said that Nico’s first true road snaps would be in Norman. I don’t know if that was speculation or if these guys are already aware of what some of the schedule looks like.

I was listening to the Volquest podcast yesterday and they talking about Nico getting/not getting snaps and I swear Price slipped and said that Nico’s first true road snaps would be in Norman. I don’t know if that was speculation or if these guys are already aware of what some of the schedule looks like.

We have a lot of home games next year that favor us.

Arkansas is really struggling right now and may have new coach. Vandy is NOT a real road game. That leaves us with only 2 true road games.

It is definitely a very favorable schedule but I am not sure if we will have a good enough team to take advantage of it.

Chattanooga - Win
NC State - Loss (not in neyland) but we REALLY need this win
Kent State - Win
UTEP - Win
at Arkansas - Loss (not in neyland)
at Georgia - Loss no matter where we play
at Oklahoma - Loss (not in neyland)
Alabama - Loss it's bama
Florida - hahaha...you have to ask?
Kentucky - Win
Miss State - Win
at Vandy - Win

My one caveat is what will be left of this team mentally and physically at the end of that midseason gauntlet? I can easily see us struggling in our last 3 games if we're back to playing for bowl eligibility.

I don't see TN losing to Arkansas, Florida, and NC State. I think 2-1 is the most likely run against that slate. It is definitely the 3 most important games on the schedule.

Arkansas is bad right now. They may go 1-7 in SEC play. Basically on par with Vandy. Unless they really turn things around soon, they will likely fire their coach. We do play bad sometimes against Arkansas so it will really come down to who is their coach and what they can do.

NC State never really impresses me much either but they could be tough.

Florida... yeah that is the one that gives me the strongest vibe that they can beat us but it is in Knoxville this year. To be honest, I am going to see where Florida falls on our schedule to make that call. If they are the first SEC game again, I am leaning towards a possible loss. If they are in October or November, I think it could be a win.

On paper, it definitely looks like 9-3 could be possibly but I am just not sure we do that well with a new team. If Nico lives up to hype though, 9-3 or even 10-2 is very possible.

I'm not talking about his abilities as an OC. I'm talking his impact on discipline. By all accounts he was a demanding cuss who had an eye for the little things and demanded attention to those details. We just don't have the look of a disciplined, focused team. We also look soft. The old saying goes...a team is a reflection of it's coaching staff.
You absolutely could be right. To me it’s a game of inches.
Everyone thinks the Ga game was a blowout. We absolutely were in the game and could win it if the receivers catch the ball 2 times in the end zone and we hit a wide open squirrel. Those things happen and it’s a different conversation.

Milton isn’t the guy, throws too hard on slant’s misses wide open guys, no finesse, whatever….. but a little confidence from a leader, we didn’t appear to have on this team could have made a huge difference this year.

Maybe we have that guy next year. Maybe not. But to me that’s the glaring problem on this team

Do we?
There’s NIL money that says a couple might be back.
We honestly don’t know who we will have next year
NIL money and the transfer portal has changed everything.
There’s no way to know how good any team (including us) will be right now. Add in OU and Texas, and the SEC no longer having divisions also changes things.
Will be an interesting 2024.

10-2 or 11-1, depending on what happens with Alabama. We get Heisman-level play out of the running back room and Nico. Squirrel leaps, and Willams is the real deal. Tennessee also leads the nation in sacks and run defense next year.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I don't see TN losing to Arkansas, Florida, and NC State. I think 2-1 is the most likely run against that slate. It is definitely the 3 most important games on the schedule.

Arkansas is bad right now. They may go 1-7 in SEC play. Basically on par with Vandy. Unless they really turn things around soon, they will likely fire their coach. We do play bad sometimes against Arkansas so it will really come down to who is their coach and what they can do.

Florida... yeah that is the one that gives me the strongest vibe that they can beat us but it is in Knoxville this year. To be honest, I am going to see where Florida falls on our schedule to make that call. If they are the first SEC game again, I am leaning towards a possible loss. If they are in October or November, I think it could be a win.

On paper, it definitely looks like 9-3 could be possibly but I am just not sure we do that well with a new team. If Nico lives up to hype though, 9-3 or even 10-2 is very possible.
Nc State is awful early in the season under Doeren. If we lose I’ll be shocked. We’ll have a bigger crowd in Charlotte than they will. We should be 3-0 against State, Arky and UF.

10-2 or 11-1, depending on what happens with Alabama. We get Heisman-level play out of the running back room and Nico. Squirrel leaps, and Willams is the real deal. Tennessee also leads the nation in sacks and run defense next year.
Quoting the movie When Harry Met Sally, I’ll have what you’re having.

It's UF. Doesn't matter where if falls. The list is how our schedule falls. UF gets us a the tail end of a gauntlet of games. Gotta wonder what's gonna be our mood and what's left of our squad by that time of the season.

VN Store

Back