1 second left and you don't offer any defense?

R. Jackson has no basketball knowledge. She just stood there and looked stupid. But, Coach KH is to blame!!!! Put someone on the inbound passer!!!

Are y'all seriously going to sit here and blame Jackson? Without her, we'd be missing the tournament for the first time ever. Not to mention she was our leading scorer at 22 points. Let's get real. No basketball knowledge? Are you on something?

The only people who have any blame whatsoever in this are the people who get paid to take the blame: the coaching staff.

EXCEPT that Harper, or any of the other coaches for that matter, could and should have called a time out when they saw the players’ spacing.

It seemed that Harper was yelling instructions to the team just prior to the throw in. I didn’t see her post game interview - is what she said something that was covered?

IMO, IF she was telling someone to cover Cardosa, then double indictment on her for not calling the timeout.

Your solution is to bail out the best coach in WCBB and let her draw up a play? You realize Dawn would have loved a TO in that situation.

I keep seeing comments about that 3-pointer being a low percentage shot. The important thing is that it's the only shot that could 100% guarantee a UT loss.

The choice was not guard the lob or guard the 3. The choice made was extra guarding on the lob by not guarding the 3 or the inbounder.

Reactions: GameTime
How many ways can a game be lost? The SC player that rebounded KP's second missed free throw caught it with two hands, bounced it on the floor once as she pivoted to head down court, caught it with both hands again then resumed dribbling down court. All of this was pretty much one fluid motion but a double dribble with a ref 15 feet away looking at her. Should have been a turnover and LV ball with about 2 seconds on the clock. And in SC/LSU game the refs failed to call many fouls between the bigs. Officiating is bad.

How many ways can a game be lost? The SC player that rebounded KP's second missed free throw caught it with two hands, bounced it on the floor once as she pivoted to head down court, caught it with both hands again then resumed dribbling down court. All of this was pretty much one fluid motion but a double dribble with a ref 15 feet away looking at her. Should have been a turnover and LV ball with about 2 seconds on the clock. And in SC/LSU game the refs failed to call many fouls between the bigs. Officiating is bad.
no matter how you look at it, it was us five on their 4 without guarding the inbound
Shoulda been 4 on 4 with a floater/rim protector,,,
no other situation as for this coach to see...no reason to have two in the paint...NOne!

no matter how you look at it, it was us five on their 4 without guarding the inbound
Shoulda been 4 on 4 with a floater/rim protector,,,
no other situation as for this coach to see...no reason to have two in the paint...NOne!
When the foul was called did Kellie have a chance to talk to the team? There was no timeout?

The players failed to put this game away because one missed two free throws and another failed to follow instructions on the inbound plat at the end of the game. I am proud of the way they came back to go ahead in the last few seconds of the game. Had the players followed the defense called or if the two free throws had been may, the game would have been won by Tennessee. This one can not be put on the coaching staff.

Reactions: brittannica
The players failed to put this game away because one missed two free throws and another failed to follow instructions on the inbound plat at the end of the game. I am proud of the way they came back to go ahead in the last few seconds of the game. Had the players followed the defense called or if the two free throws had been may, the game would have been won by Tennessee. This one can not be put on the coaching staff.
I don't see it that way,,,Kellie had stopped directing movement at the exact moment the ref turns to hand SC the ball...When the ref handed the ball to SC for the inbound, Kellie is hands on hips,,,not calling for more movement

But I am not on the fire Kellie train...She coached a very good game in all facets and pure luck of the moment let that shot fall,,,nothing else, no mistakes,,,just a pure luck-loss

But I just noticed, it looked as if Joy motioned to Rickea to pressure the inbound pass but I’m not sure if Rickea was paying attention to her or Kellie, because it looked as if Kellie was motioning something as well!

When the foul was called did Kellie have a chance to talk to the team? There was no timeout?

I don't see it that way,,,Kellie had stopped directing movement at the exact moment the ref turns to hand SC the ball...When the ref handed the ball to SC for the inbound, Kellie is hands on hips,,,not calling for more movement
1908, you inspired me to man up and rewatch the last secs closely, and as usual, you're right. My bball life is really in shambles bc Jumper is also exactly right. Rickea was 100% where Kellie J. Harper put her.

I owe apologies for everytime I've said Kellie would never have positioned them to leave a shooter wide open. BC that's exactly what happened. All who have dared disparge Rickea should beg forgiveness immediately and fervently lol. She was following orders to the literal step, Not only did Kellie inexplicably place her in no man's land, she refined it, waving her a tensy bit over this way. Then stopped giving direction, apparently good with the set up, and kneeled down in position to become a head dropped meme of despair in 1.1 seconds. And waited for it.

1908 is correct that earlier during the change over after the foul Joy comes behind KJH and says a couple of times what looks like "on the ball". KJH appears to be mouthing "up high" or "stay up". As the players sort out, RIckea initially, walks toward Kamilla whos lurking around the ft line. That's when Kellie starts waving and shouting and Rickea (who for the record is paying complete attention and doing everything she's told) starts toward the sideline where Raven is getting ready to inbound. Apparently thinking guard the inbound. That's when KJH starts sending her back, into that strange area in between. Joy again comes behind Kellie and says something which KJH doesn't acknowledge. She refines RIckeas position/non position a few steps and stoops down. The rest is history. I'm no bball strategist, but what in the world was she thinking.

At the presser, KJH said "we were trying to get Rickea back in the play". But where she got her was out of the play. Of course you hope both TK and RIckea would have made a run in KC's direction with arms waving the instant she caught the ball. The image of both standing rooted has become an unfortunate and inaccurate metaphor.

Thank God for small favors it was the usually silent Joy in Kellie's ear this time and not Jon. Can you imagine? Oddly, but thankfully,he is not even in the camera shots.

Not sure if knowing this helps me or hurts more but I do still feel awful for KJH. I do give her huge credit for getting them to that point, tantalizingly close but once again, just can't get over the hump. One more chance in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
1908, you inspired me to man up and rewatch the last secs closely, and as usual, you're right. My bball life is really in shambles bc Jumper is also exactly right. Rickea was 100% where Kellie J. Harper put her.

I owe apologies for everytime I've said Kellie would never have positioned them to leave a shooter wide open. BC that's exactly what happened. All who have dared disparge Rickea should beg forgiveness immediately and fervently lol. She was following orders to the literal step, Not only did Kellie inexplicably place her in no man's land, she refined it, waving her a tensy bit over this way. Then stopped giving direction, apparently good with the set up, and kneeled down in position to become a head dropped meme of despair in 1.1 seconds. And waited for it.

1908 is correct that earlier during the change over after the foul Joy appears the voice of reason, clearly coming behind KJH and saying a couple of times "on the ball". KJH appears to be mouthing "up high" or "stay up". As the players sort out, RIckea initially, and logically, walks toward Kamilla whos lurking around the ft line. That's when Kellie starts waving and shouting and Rickea (who for the record is paying complete attention and doing everything she's told) starts toward the sideline where Raven is getting ready to inbound. Like Joy, she is apparently thinking guard the inbound. That's when KJH starts sending her back, into that strange area in between. Joy again comes behing Kellie and says something but KJH doesn't acknowledge. She refines RIckeas position/non position a few steps and stoops down. The rest is history. I'm no bball strategist, but what in the world was she thinking.

At the presser, KJH said "we were trying to get Rickea back in the play". But where she got her was out of the play. Of course you hope both TK and RIckea would have made a run in KC's direction with arms waving the instant she caught the ball. The image of both standing rooted has become an unfortunate and inaccurate metaphor.

Thank God for small favors that it was the usually silent Joy in Kellie's ear this time and not Jon. Can you imagine? Oddly, but thankfully,he is not even in the camera shots.

Not sure if knowing this helps me or hurts more but I do still feel awful for KJH. I do give her huge credit for getting them to that point, tantalizingly close but once again, just can't get over the hump. One more chance in a couple of weeks.
What if I told you we really could’ve dribbled the clock out at 3.2 seconds. Jazz gets the rebound and Jewel motions her that she’s wide open, and jazz instead holds onto the ball and tries to get a timeout. Jazz thought she got the timeout and not the foul. Watch her head to the bench, it explains why she rushed those FTs, she should have just passed to Jewel who was wide open going up the floor. Our PG was trying to just hold the ball but at that moment you gota run the clock out.

Reactions: mcannon1

1908 is correct that earlier during the change over after the foul Joy appears the voice of reason, clearly coming behind KJH and saying a couple of times "on the ball". KJH appears to be mouthing "up high" or "stay up". As the players sort out, RIckea initially, and logically, walks toward Kamilla whos lurking around the ft line. That's when Kellie starts waving and shouting and Rickea (who for the record is paying complete attention and doing everything she's told) starts toward the sideline where Raven is getting ready to inbound. Like Joy, she is apparently thinking guard the inbound. That's when KJH starts sending her back, into that strange area in between. Joy again comes behing Kellie and says something but KJH doesn't acknowledge. She refines RIckeas position/non position a few steps and stoops down. The rest is history. I'm no bball strategist, but what in the world was she thinking.

Thank God for small favors that it was the usually silent Joy in Kellie's ear this time and not Jon. Can you imagine? Oddly, but thankfully,he is not even in the camera shots.

What if I told you we really could’ve dribbled the clock out at 3.2 seconds. Jazz gets the rebound and Jewel motions her that she’s wide open, and jazz instead holds onto the ball and tries to get a timeout. Jazz thought she got the timeout and not the foul. Watch her head to the bench, it explains why she rushed those FTs, she should have just passed to Jewel who was wide open going up the floor. Our PG was trying to just hold the ball but at that moment you gota run the clock out. She should’ve called the TO as soon as she got the rebound

The defensive chaos in the final second lies on the coach. I am disappointed CKH didn’t take responsibility for that confusion. Now some are blaming some of the players instead of the coach which is wrong!

Is this a fireable offense? Heck no. You have to look at her whole body of work. Game results, NIL, recruiting, rule violations, team/player issues, etc.. And that is the ADs job to make that determination.

Actually, with as many new players that we have this year I think they are finally starting to play like a team instead as a collection of individuals. That is why preseason rankings don’t mean much considering the impact the portal has and it takes a few games to see how the team is going to react with the players lost and gained.

Last edited:
What if I told you we really could’ve dribbled the clock out at 3.2 seconds. Jazz gets the rebound and Jewel motions her that she’s wide open, and jazz instead holds onto the ball and tries to get a timeout. Jazz thought she got the timeout and not the foul. Watch her head to the bench, it explains why she rushed those FTs, she should have just passed to Jewel who was wide open going up the floor. Our PG was trying to just hold the ball but at that moment you gota run the clock out.
Rewatched this sequence and disagree. Fulwiley fouled JP almost immediately. JP was correctly in full ball protection mode, cradling the ball. Even if there had been time for a pass or dribble, it's way too risky.

I do see JP calling time out and everyone thought they got it. The players huddle at the bench and an assistant hands KJH the whiteboard. Camera cuts to sad face SC players (damn that hurts) and then jubilant TN crowd. When it goes back to the court, JP is at the ft line. Not sure what happened to the T.O.

There was a t.o. right before that sequence started, and our defense was planned. Again they chose not to pressure the inbound, and again backed Rickea several steps away, not really guarding anyone. RJ later ran out to guard Raven who had circled into the corner for the missed three. We saw the same 'defense' on both late game inbounds so it's definitely coach's choice. Can't imagine why.
The defensive chaos in the final second lies on the coach. I am disappointed CKH didn’t take responsibility for that confusion. Now some are blaming some of the players instead of the coach which is wrong!

Is this a fireable offense? Heck no. You have to look at her whole body of work. Game results, NIL, recruiting, rule violations, team/player issues, etc.. And that is the ADs job to make that determination.
My thoughts exactly, except I now realize the last second defense wasn't chaos but the coach's plan. She guided them into place, choosing not to pressure the ball, and not to put the player that freed up directly on anyone. While that backfired spectacularly, I don't think that alone is fireable. Like you, I'm bothered that the whole thing appears to throw the players under the bus a bit.

Rewatched this sequence and disagree. Fulwiley fouled JP almost immediately. JP was correctly in full ball protection mode, cradling the ball. Even if there had been time for a pass or dribble, it's way too risky.

I do see JP calling time out and everyone thought they got it. The players huddle at the bench and an assistant hands KJH the whiteboard. Camera cuts to sad face SC players (damn that hurts) and then jubilant TN crowd. When it goes back to the court, JP is at the ft line. Not sure what happened to the T.O.

There was a t.o. right before that sequence started, and our defense was planned. Again they chose not to pressure the inbound, and again backed Rickea several steps away, not really guarding anyone. RJ later ran out to guard Raven who had circled into the corner for the missed three. We saw the same 'defense' on both late game inbounds so it's definitely coach's choice. Can't imagine why.

My thoughts exactly, except I now realize the last second defense wasn't chaos but the coach's plan. She guided them into place, choosing not to pressure the ball, and not to put the player that freed up directly on anyone. While that backfired spectacularly, I don't think that alone is fireable. Like you, I'm bothered that the whole thing appears to throw the players under the bus a bit.
The coaches didn’t think that Cardosa would even try to shoot from the three point line and that’s the bottom line. They were more concerned with a lob pass but in reality we should’ve did everything to make sure no one shot a 3 pt bc we would loose the game. Kellie failed them worried ab 2 pts then worrying ab anyone shooting a 3pt. SC has been playing with Fire lately. We shouldn’t have been close to winning that game at all. So I’ll take the positive, we can compete if the offense is ran between Rickea, TK and Jewel.

They were more concerned with a lob pass but in reality we should’ve did everything to make sure no one shot a 3 pt bc we would loose the game
They were very concerned about Pow shooting a 3, but JP shut her down again. Playing Rickea neither on the ball pressuring the inbound nor directly on another player, just leaving her sort of inbetween, was a choice. They did the exact same thing on the previous inbound. I can't explain the thinking there. At all.

but it was a dead ball and you can call timeout during a deadball
See above, JP actually did call a timeout but it didn't happen.

And calling or not calling a timeout turned out not to matter bc Dawn still got her play in and Kellie lined her 'defense' up exactly where she wanted it.

They were very concerned about Pow shooting a 3, but JP shut her down again. Playing Rickea neither on the ball pressuring the inbound nor directly on another player, just leaving her sort of inbetween, was a choice. They did the exact same thing on the previous inbound. I can't explain the thinking there. At all.
The last play was brutal defensively bc TK should’ve been more alert too, she didn’t react quick enough. But her coach told her to stay in the paint. If TK would’ve just followed her she wasn’t shooting that shot at all.

The last play was brutal defensively bc TK should’ve been more alert too, she didn’t react quick enough. But her coach told her to stay in the paint. If TK would’ve just followed her she wasn’t shooting that shot at all.
They didn't want TK following KC out bc they were correctly afraid KC would blow past her for a rim run.

I think the only thing on the players is that neither reacted at all to the catch, which could only lead to a shot. Would have wanted them to run toward but not foul. Not sure either could have made a difference but would have looked much better.

But why station Rickea away fm the inbounds and away fm KC and then expect her to make a run toward Kamilla. Why not just start out there?

Reactions: Cb153181
What it all comes down to is the stress of the moment basically paralyzing 2-3 players who took "watch the lob" and "don't foul" WAY too literally and didn't recognize the situation. Awful part is that 95 times out of 100, we get away it and nobody cares.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back