‘23 NC SG Freddie Dilione (Tennessee commit)

Unless they add one thru the transfer portal, I think there's a good chance Dilione plays a good amount of time as a scoring PG. Think Cason Wallace type role.
Not saying it couldn’t happen but I see ZZ and BJE there next year, staff really likes BJE and his future, he’s just blocked by veterans. We know playing PG for Barnes is tough and that usually experience helps, so I’ll go with BJE > Dilione. I think Dilione could slide into Vescovi’s role a bit easier.

Not saying it couldn’t happen but I see ZZ and BJE there next year, staff really likes BJE and his future, he’s just blocked by veterans. We know playing PG for Barnes is tough and that usually experience helps, so I’ll go with BJE > Dilione. I think Dilione could slide into Vescovi’s role a bit easier.

You may be right but I will respectfully disagree with the notion of BJE simply being blocked by veterans from playing the PG position, right now, unless like me, you don't really view him as a true PG. If not, the lack of experience is much more likely the reason because we are currently forcing a square peg in a round hole like we've done far too often under Barnes. Key is not the answer as our other PG. He's playing there for a lack of options, same as Vescovi. Neither one of those guys are PGs, and frankly, you could make the same case for Edwards. He is likely going to play a good bit of PG in his career, but he's more of a combo, same as Dilione.

Now, ideally, I totally agree that Dilione would slide into Vescovi’s spot. However, without an addition of a true PG, I don't see Edwards and his single year of experience (which won't include much time on the floor in games) standing in the way of Dilione playing minutes there. I don't see BJE as that much more of a true PG, and I don't necessarily place as much value on his singular year of experience over the talent discrepancy between him and Dilione.

The absence of true PGs has really hampered Barnes's teams at Tennessee, and given his history of coaching the position, it's really odd.

To y'all who know more than I about this:

It seems the requirements for being an ideal PG in today's game are kinda like finding a top mathematics student who writes prose eloquently. It's a combination of traits that rarely arrive in the same brain. So one or the other has to be taught and learned as a skill.

Which, then, is easier to do with a high school player? Take a scorer and teach him to operate the offense, or take a skilled offensive operator and develop his scoring skills?

It seems over his career Barnes had done both, but in latter years has preferred teaching a scorer to run the point. Or maybe that's not his preferred way to coach, but the effect of the 3-point game demands it.

But what do I know...

To y'all who know more than I about this:

It seems the requirements for being an ideal PG in today's game are kinda like finding a top mathematics student who writes prose eloquently. It's a combination of traits that rarely arrive in the same brain. So one or the other has to be taught and learned as a skill.

Which, then, is easier to do with a high school player? Take a scorer and teach him to operate the offense, or take a skilled offensive operator and develop his scoring skills?

It seems over his career Barnes had done both, but in latter years has preferred teaching a scorer to run the point. Or maybe that's not his preferred way to coach, but the effect of the 3-point game demands it.

But what do I know...

Primarily, your PG needs to be your best ball-handler, whether they are a scorer or a facilitator. The most intangible/unteachable skill among those mentioned is knowing how to facilitate an offense, valuing the basketball, making the right pass. Those skills are so tough to teach to an 18-year old, so give me the skilled ball-handler who inherently values the basketball and has leadership qualities.

You may be right but I will respectfully disagree with the notion of BJE simply being blocked by veterans from playing the PG position, right now, unless like me, you don't really view him as a true PG. If not, the lack of experience is much more likely the reason because we are currently forcing a square peg in a round hole like we've done far too often under Barnes. Key is not the answer as our other PG. He's playing there for a lack of options, same as Vescovi. Neither one of those guys are PGs, and frankly, you could make the same case for Edwards. He is likely going to play a good bit of PG in his career, but he's more of a combo, same as Dilione.

Now, ideally, I totally agree that Dilione would slide into Vescovi’s spot. However, without an addition of a true PG, I don't see Edwards and his single year of experience (which won't include much time on the floor in games) standing in the way of Dilione playing minutes there. I don't see BJE as that much more of a true PG, and I don't necessarily place as much value on his singular year of experience over the talent discrepancy between him and Dilione.

The absence of true PGs has really hampered Barnes's teams at Tennessee, and given his history of coaching the position, it's really odd.
I’m not saying they won’t look to add a PG in the off-season, I could definitely see that, I just think that in the event they don’t you would see BJE getting backup PG minutes over Dilione. I don’t take Key currently getting those minutes over BJE as a knock on BJE, you’re talking a 6th year guard that had the ball in his hands a bunch going back to HS. BJE is a more true PG than Key but I don’t think BJE would be nearly as steady on both ends of the court as a freshman as 6th year Key is. Again I don’t take it as a knock, I have long said I thought Key would play a lot, I don’t take that at all as a negative on BJE though.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Julian Phillips is the most polished offensive threat that Barnes has recruited thus far in my opinion.

He is a very solid offensive rebounder.

That very well may be...JP is going to be a really good player. These kinds of things are always subjective so please don't assume I am trying to pick a fight. Having said that, when I first read your post it made me immediately think of Jaden Springer and Kennedy Chandler so I decided to look at their stats and it shows a compelling case can be made that one, or both, may have been better. Now, of course, JP's season still has a lot to go so he may pass both guys but the stats show he is currently behind both players:

Springer: 12.5 pts per game (3.2 pts from FT), 19.3 pts per 40 min (5.0 pts from FT), and 94.2 pts per 100 poss (7.3 pts from FT)
Chandler: 13.9 pts per game (1.8 pts from FT), 18.1 pts per 40 min (2.3 pts from FT), and 92.1 pts per 100 poss (3.3 pts from FT)
JP: 10.7 pts per game (4.9 pts from FT), 16.3 pts per 40 min (7.5 pts from FT), and 81.3 pts per 100 poss (10.8 pts from FT)

Based on the above, I would say JP is definitely better at getting to the line but maybe not quite as good scoring from the field as either Springer or Chandler (and that's not a knock on JP). It is fair to say, to this point, JP has made his living going to the line (and in the case of the AZ game he died by not getting there which is why he struggled to score that game and only had 2 points which happened to be FTs).

Anyway, thought it was an interesting comparison. GBO!

That very well may be...JP is going to be a really good player. These kinds of things are always subjective so please don't assume I am trying to pick a fight. Having said that, when I first read your post it made me immediately think of Jaden Springer and Kennedy Chandler so I decided to look at their stats and it shows a compelling case can be made that one, or both, may have been better. Now, of course, JP's season still has a lot to go so he may pass both guys but the stats show he is currently behind both players:

Springer: 12.5 pts per game (3.2 pts from FT), 19.3 pts per 40 min (5.0 pts from FT), and 94.2 pts per 100 poss (7.3 pts from FT)
Chandler: 13.9 pts per game (1.8 pts from FT), 18.1 pts per 40 min (2.3 pts from FT), and 92.1 pts per 100 poss (3.3 pts from FT)
JP: 10.7 pts per game (4.9 pts from FT), 16.3 pts per 40 min (7.5 pts from FT), and 81.3 pts per 100 poss (10.8 pts from FT)

Based on the above, I would say JP is definitely better at getting to the line but maybe not quite as good scoring from the field as either Springer or Chandler (and that's not a knock on JP). It is fair to say, to this point, JP has made his living going to the line (and in the case of the AZ game he died by not getting there which is why he struggled to score that game and only had 2 points which happened to be FTs).

Forgot all about Springer. Time flies.

Great player.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92

Absolutely agree with this.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Zion Collins sophomore on Freddie’s team gonna be good. Already top 65 player in 2025 class.
Freddie looks really good defensively and can slash. Good vision too.

Reactions: cardvolfan
All I wanna know is whether Freddie is The Truth or not ?
Yes, dude will be good here. Best player on the court. Played the entire second half.
Really good slasher with good vision in the paint.
Shot the 3 pretty good.
Mental lapses sometimes
One thing has a really good handle of the ball but some of stuff he was doing tonight won’t work next year.
Is a damn good defender too.

Dilione appears to me something which we desperately need on our current team, an off guard who can create scoring opportunities for himself. We have some nice parts right now, but I have no idea who gets the ball at the end of the game to get a needed bucket, a luxury most good teams possess and one we really miss from Kennedy Chandler. A slasher like Freddie could be incredibly valuably here.

You’d think Barnes would be able to find a true point guard in the portal.

VN Store

Back