‘23 AL Cade Phillips (Tennessee commit)

I may be mistaken but I think he was extremely attracted to the culture we have at Tennessee. For some people that means a ton! It would be hard for me to see a scenario where he would not be a take for Bama but I could be wrong. Let’s just see how this plays out. We definitely can use athletic rim protectors.

Alabama fans on Twitter saying Cade Phillips wasn’t a take lol.
Up to #60 now on new 2023 rankings.

I don't believe he wasn't a take for Alabama but it does seem like they were never too involved in his recruitment. Maybe the relationship went bad somewhere for his parents or they don't like Nate Oats. Philips seems very faith oriented so that could be something that put Barnes at the top. Hard to say but glad he is here.

I don't believe he wasn't a take for Alabama but it does seem like they were never too involved in his recruitment. Maybe the relationship went bad somewhere for his parents or they don't like Nate Oats. Philips seems very faith oriented so that could be something that put Barnes at the top. Hard to say but glad he is here.

I don't think it's that. They had a big (as in class size) 2021 and 2022 class. Seems like they'll only have space for 2 or 3 after this season. Regardless of how he ended up here, I don't care. This is a nice cornerstone for an important class.

Reactions: HeadVol77

#60 is his rivals ranking which is pretty dated, 247 which updated today has him at #132 fwiw

For all the ways recruiting has been turned upside down in college athletics, these are kinder, gentler times in at least one respect. On Thursday, Jacksonville High basketball forward Cade Phillips announced a commitment to Tennessee. And good for him, making that decision without a single care as to who else might want him to put a ball in a basket while wearing different colors. He'll wear orange. Anyone who doesn't like it can wear something else.

There was a time when a high school kid choosing the archrival of his home-state school was a lot more complicated.

Phillips' father, former Alabama quarterback John David Phillips, remembers that time. An Anniston native, he came down to Alabama and Tennessee in his recruitment, and recalls then-Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer trying to convince him that a leap from a crimson state to an orange uniform wouldn't be such a big deal. Phillips knew better.

...Local pressure on recruits isn't what it used to be, and that's a good thing. "With the way the transfer portal is, it's not as bad now. You look on the football side and Alabama's got a good linebacker (Henry To'oTo'o) who was at Tennessee not long ago. I think the portal has numbed it a little bit," said the elder Phillips. "So I'm grateful for that. And we raised him to be his own kid, since he was tiny. I'm insanely proud that he's done his own thing."

Cade Phillips broke an Alabama legacy by picking Tennessee basketball

For all the ways recruiting has been turned upside down in college athletics, these are kinder, gentler times in at least one respect. On Thursday, Jacksonville High basketball forward Cade Phillips announced a commitment to Tennessee. And good for him, making that decision without a single care as to who else might want him to put a ball in a basket while wearing different colors. He'll wear orange. Anyone who doesn't like it can wear something else.

There was a time when a high school kid choosing the archrival of his home-state school was a lot more complicated.

Phillips' father, former Alabama quarterback John David Phillips, remembers that time. An Anniston native, he came down to Alabama and Tennessee in his recruitment, and recalls then-Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer trying to convince him that a leap from a crimson state to an orange uniform wouldn't be such a big deal. Phillips knew better.

...Local pressure on recruits isn't what it used to be, and that's a good thing. "With the way the transfer portal is, it's not as bad now. You look on the football side and Alabama's got a good linebacker (Henry To'oTo'o) who was at Tennessee not long ago. I think the portal has numbed it a little bit," said the elder Phillips. "So I'm grateful for that. And we raised him to be his own kid, since he was tiny. I'm insanely proud that he's done his own thing."
Cade Phillips broke an Alabama legacy by picking Tennessee basketball
So I'm reading dad wanted to be a Vol the whole time but was afraid of being murdered by locals. Got it.

VN Store

Back