‘22 TN SF Brandon Miller

The bball forum OGs have heard this argument from me before - it's something that has bothered me, a UT fan who likes basketball more than football, for a long time. I will say that I think our fans have shown improvement since the '18-19 season, and the AD's decision to play The Price Is Right with UCLA is something that was desperately needed by all parties invested in the bball program, fans included. UT fans may never support the bball program like they do football, and that's OK if it plays out like that. I don't really like that idea, but that's Knoxville/UT fans for you. I just grow weary of seeing some posters' takes in that UT is just expected to be the top dog for recruiting scenarios based on homerism and questionable assumptions about other programs.

Reactions: berryvol
The bball forum OGs have heard this argument from me before - it's something that has bothered me, a UT fan who likes basketball more than football, for a long time. I will say that I think our fans have shown improvement since the '18-19 season, and the AD's decision to play The Price Is Right with UCLA is something that was desperately needed by all parties invested in the bball program, fans included. UT fans may never support the bball program like they do football, and that's OK if it plays out like that. I don't really like that idea, but that's Knoxville/UT fans for you. I just grow weary of seeing some posters' takes in that UT is just expected to be the top dog for recruiting scenarios based on homerism and questionable assumptions about other programs.
The AD played The Price is Right with UCLA? First I have heard about that because from everything I was hearing it was Randy Boyd negotiating that deal. If we had left it up to the AD we would have been bargain basement shopping for a new coach.

Before Nate Oats came along, their fans didn’t give a damn because their football program was still doing good.

Now that they are good, most majority still don’t care about basketball.

It’s a disgrace to compare Bama/UT fans in basketball because they’re not the same, AT ALL.
It pains me to say, I have lived in Alabama all my life. I attended and graduated from the university of Alabama. You are wrong.

I’m so confused!🤷‍♂️
GBO!!
Hahaha whole family is from Knox area and I stuck out my fandom. I would’ve loved to go to UT, sadly it’s quite pricy out of state when you don’t have stellar grades or athletic ability. You get some weird looks on campus in Tuscaloosa walking around in orange.

If Coleman Coliseum held 21,000 people, they still wouldn't match Tennessee in attendance, all else being equal.

Coleman Coliseum seats 15,000+. The last season full capacity was allowed (19-20), Alabama's average attendance was 10,000+. Tennessee's was 18,000+. There's a reason Alabama doesn't have a 21,000 seat arena....because 10,000 people in a 10,000 seat arena is a terrible environment. If Bama could fill a 21,000 seat arena the way Tennessee fans do, they would build one. They have the money.
I think I remember a few years where TN had a black curtain over sections of TBA to hide the unsold seats. You might want to find a better way to judge fan support than total attendance.

Before Nate Oats came along, their fans didn’t give a damn because their football program was still doing good.

Now that they are good, most majority still don’t care about basketball.

It’s a disgrace to compare Bama/UT fans in basketball because they’re not the same, AT ALL.
I guess you could say “before Tony Vittelo came along, TN fans didn’t give a damn”.

I think I remember a few years where TN had a black curtain over sections of TBA to hide the unsold seats. You might want to find a better way to judge fan support than total attendance.

The curtain was after 2 decades of Devoe’s slide, Wade, KO, Jerry, and Buzz. Despite that horrendous era there were still more butts in TBA seats than in most SEC arenas.

The curtain was after 2 decades of Devoe’s slide, Wade, KO, Jerry, and Buzz. Despite that horrendous era there were still more butts in TBA seats than in most SEC arenas.
I remember a similar discussion 1-2 years ago where we had some posters saying there was only 3,000-4,000 in actual attendance during our bad years. That was absolutely wrong. We never had close to that count whatsoever…..much more than those naysayers said. Having said that, our attendance relative to performance has always been significantly higher than most of our SEC brethren.

Reactions: onevol74
Hahaha whole family is from Knox area and I stuck out my fandom. I would’ve loved to go to UT, sadly it’s quite pricy out of state when you don’t have stellar grades or athletic ability. You get some weird looks on campus in Tuscaloosa walking around in orange.

Exactly. I lived in Florence, Ala as a Vol fan. Wanted to attend UTK, had to settle for local UNA. Will always be a Vol fan, even though I married into a deep Bama family.

(By the way, I am now divorced from the Bama clan, except my daughter's family still bleed crimson :(

While you make a fair point, it is a bit exaggerated. The curtain has been gone for nearly 15 years.

And still finished in the top 20 in attendance. After enduring a 5 win season and a 4 win season.

Reactions: cardvolfan
While you make a fair point, it is a bit exaggerated. The curtain has been gone for nearly 15 years.
Yes it’s been a while, but no one put any time limits on the discussion and some were stating their “generalities” as all-time facts. iIt seems all parties are apt to exaggeration

And still finished in the top 20 in attendance. After enduring a 5 win season and a 4 win season.
That’s great but still doesn’t prove one fan base is better than another. Just means a bigger arena for a very supportive fan base.

If anything, Bama has the biggest bandwagon out of all the fan base.

They’re not comparable.

Any team that wins a lot has a ton of bandwagon fans.

I hope we get to the point where we are annoyed with all of our bandwagon fans because that means we are performing at an elite level.

Reactions: cncchris33

I hope we get to the point where we are annoyed with all of our bandwagon fans because that means we are performing at an elite level.

No.

That means their fan base isn’t as loyal as we make them out to be.

Tennessee has been bad in football for 10+ years and still manages to fill plenty of seats in Neyland Stadium.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
No.

That means their fan base isn’t as loyal as we make them out to be.

Tennessee has been bad in football for 10+ years and still manages to fill plenty of seats in Neyland Stadium.

The Bama fanbase has plenty of loyal diehards, just like this fanbase. Really most major schools have a good amount of loyal diehards.

Not everything is specific to just UT like you tend to make it on here. I respect your fandom, but man you have got to be more objective on some of these takes. Being realistic doesn't make you any less of a fan, nor does admitting other schools have passionate fanbases as well.

Reactions: cncchris33

See 2021 Tennessee baseball season.

Fans want to cheer on a winning product that the athletic department has made a commitment to for sustained success. It really is that simple.

VN Store

Back