‘22 TN SF Brandon Miller

That is interesting. The real interesting thing will be if we were to land him, do we continue pursuing other SF/wings, because even if he commits and signs, I think one of those pro leagues is still a big threat with him.
Not that he cage change his mind at the 11th hour but I would suspect there would be some very direct conversations between the staff and Miller after signing day if we were to land him.

Well if it’s between those two, Tennessee is definitely the better option NIL-wise. He’s a homestate kid and Bama fans couldn’t care less about basketball.
I'd speculate that fan interest in the bball programs between Alabama and Tennessee are pretty similar, especially since they are the current SEC champions.

I'd speculate that fan interest in the bball programs between Alabama and Tennessee are pretty similar, especially since they are the current SEC champions.

Bama fans didn’t start giving a sh*t about basketball until they became good.

Tennessee fans are one of the most loyal fan base out there.

Agree. If you go off program financials as proxy for NIL potential. Bama and Tennessee are similar, Bama maybe even slightly higher which is where Forbes latest cbb rankings had them. Over the last few years we’re basically neck in neck

Reactions: berryvol
Bama fans didn’t start giving a sh*t about basketball until they became good.

Tennessee fans are one of the most loyal fan base out there.
Lol. UT basketball is nothing compared to football, despite the fact that the bball program has been performing head and shoulders above the football program for over a decade. There is a very valid reason they decided to place instructional pamphlets in TBA on how to cheer at basketball games. The vast majority of UT fans, including those who actually do watch the basketball games, don't know **** about the game of basketball; it's obvious, and the overall fan interest in the program is nowhere near where it should be.

Reactions: berryvol
Lol. UT basketball is nothing compared to football, despite the fact that the bball program has been performing head and shoulders above the football program for over a decade. There is a very valid reason they decided to place instructional pamphlets in TBA on how to cheer at basketball games. The vast majority of UT fans, including those who actually do watch the basketball games, don't know **** about the game of basketball; it's obvious, and the overall fan interest in the program is nowhere near where it should be.

If you think Bama fans care nearly as much about basketball (or any sport other than football) nearly as much as UT fans, then you’re one of the UT fans who truly doesn’t understand the basketball landscape. Compare attendance figures. Look who travels better to the SECT and NCAAT. Bama fans got excited over an abnormal season last year, but they’re not nearly as bought in for the long haul as Vol fans.

If you think Bama fans care nearly as much about basketball (or any sport other than football) nearly as much as UT fans, then you’re one of the UT fans who truly doesn’t understand the basketball landscape. Compare attendance figures. Look who travels better to the SECT and NCAAT. Bama fans got excited over an abnormal season last year, but they’re not nearly as bought in for the long haul as Vol fans.
I'm not a Bama fan, which is why I said I'd speculate that their fan interest is similar to UT's. What I do know is that the average UT fan couldn't tell you the names of the two players drafted a couple weeks ago, but they could tell you what style/color uniforms the football team wears to practice any given day. I see it and hear it every day. If we were as absorbed and committed as a fanbase to basketball as we are to football, you, me, and everyone else would know it.

I'm not saying UT fans aren't passionate, and my complaints obviously wouldn't apply to anybody like (presumably) you or I who are legitimately invested into the bball program. Based on your comments and the OP's, I definitely think you are both giving UT gen pop too much credit and understating Bama's momentum, much like some understate UK's prowess.

Considering how many of the football fans think run-pass-option requires a fast QB, they don’t know too much about football either.

Bama fans are too worried about Saban and his dynasty. They’re the best in college football.

Why would they give a f*** about basketball? Despite Nate Oats being a good coach.

I bet half of them couldn’t even name the starters on the basketball team last year.

I'm guessing not too many UT fans knew the names of more than 3 starters on our baseball team until last year.

Every school has its favorite sport.

I'm guessing not too many UT fans knew the names of more than 3 starters on our baseball team until last year.

Every school has its favorite sport.

It does. But only one school has finished top 5 in the nation in attendance in football, men’s basketball, and women’s basketball in the same season. And that one school, Tennessee, has done it multiple times. When baseball finally gave Tennessee fans a reason to get excited, Tennessee fans supported it (and will continue to support it) at an intensity level higher than other schools who have had similar sessions. I’ve been at volleyball games after which fans wrapped around the floor at TB Arena in line for autographs. Softball is similarly supported.

There aren’t more than 3 schools in the country whose fans support the entire Athletics Program like Tennessee fans do. And Bama ain’t one of ‘em. I just wish some of those fans would stop trying so hard to marginalize this phenomenon and acknowledge what a special place Tennessee is.

Last edited:
Using total attendance numbers to compare fan support is not a true reflection of actual support. Thompson-Boling seats nearly 6300 more people than Coleman Coliseum. Even if Bama sold out every home game, and Tennessee was at 80% capacity, we would have a higher total attendance, but which team is being supported more?

Historically, Tennessee has had greater fan support than Alabama has in basketball, in spite of the fact that Alabama actually has a pretty good basketball history (2nd most total wins among SEC teams). Tennessee is right on their heels, in 3rd place, but actually has a higher winning percentage. Both schools each have 17 combined regular season and SEC tournament titles. Tennessee has 23 NCAAT wins, Bama has 22 NCAAT wins, and neither has reached a F4.

Bama football just takes a much deeper hold of the athletic budget, and due to recent success (last 15 years), they get all the fan glory, as well. Basketball has been relatively stale in that same time frame minus the recent uptick. Bama basketball will be much like Florida basketball 15 years ago. If the team gives them a product to invest in, they will do it. Florida won back-to-back titles, and suddenly they are a blue blood in the eyes of some.

Meanwhile, Kentucky fans just sit back and laugh at this debate. They bring more fans to every SEC tournament than the other 13 schools combined.

Reactions: walkenvol
Using total attendance numbers to compare fan support is not a true reflection of actual support. Thompson-Boling seats nearly 6300 more people than Coleman Coliseum. Even if Bama sold out every home game, and Tennessee was at 80% capacity, we would have a higher total attendance, but which team is being supported more?

Historically, Tennessee has had greater fan support than Alabama has in basketball, in spite of the fact that Alabama actually has a pretty good basketball history (2nd most total wins among SEC teams). Tennessee is right on their heels, in 3rd place, but actually has a higher winning percentage. Both schools each have 17 combined regular season and SEC tournament titles. Tennessee has 23 NCAAT wins, Bama has 22 NCAAT wins, and neither has reached a F4.

Bama football just takes a much deeper hold of the athletic budget, and due to recent success (last 15 years), they get all the fan glory, as well. Basketball has been relatively stale in that same time frame minus the recent uptick. Bama basketball will be much like Florida basketball 15 years ago. If the team gives them a product to invest in, they will do it. Florida won back-to-back titles, and suddenly they are a blue blood in the eyes of some.

If Coleman Coliseum held 21,000 people, they still wouldn't match Tennessee in attendance, all else being equal.

Coleman Coliseum seats 15,000+. The last season full capacity was allowed (19-20), Alabama's average attendance was 10,000+. Tennessee's was 18,000+. There's a reason Alabama doesn't have a 21,000 seat arena....because 10,000 people in a 10,000 seat arena is a terrible environment. If Bama could fill a 21,000 seat arena the way Tennessee fans do, they would build one. They have the money.

If Coleman Coliseum held 21,000 people, they still wouldn't match Tennessee in attendance, all else being equal.

Coleman Coliseum seats 15,000+. The last season full capacity was allowed (19-20), Alabama's average attendance was 10,000+. Tennessee's was 18,000+. There's a reason Alabama doesn't have a 21,000 seat arena....because 10,000 people in a 10,000 seat arena is a terrible environment. If Bama could fill a 21,000 seat arena the way Tennessee fans do, they would build one. They have the money.
I was speaking in a much broader sense, only to say that looking solely at attendance totals as a barometer of fan support isn’t always an accurate representation. I’m not remotely trying to make a case that Alabama fans supports basketball in the same way Tennessee fans do.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Alabama has a pretty hardcore hoops fan base. Much like Chris4 is saying, they obviously care way more about football in general, but there’s certainly a large devoted group of basketball fans down there that take it very seriously. Same as Tennessee.

Alabama has a pretty hardcore hoops fan base. Much like Chris4 is saying, they obviously care way more about football in general, but there’s certainly a large devoted group of basketball fans down there that take it very seriously. Same as Tennessee.

Before Nate Oats came along, their fans didn’t give a damn because their football program was still doing good.

Now that they are good, most majority still don’t care about basketball.

It’s a disgrace to compare Bama/UT fans in basketball because they’re not the same, AT ALL.

VN Store

Back