‘22 TN C Handje Tamba

I feel like his energy is one of his best attributes, actually. Offensive game is lacking but not broken. Obviously needs to add strength and some bulk. He’s far more advanced than Kyle Alexander was at the same age. If you are going to take a project, this is the type I want to see.
I thought on defense he did lots of watching and was not very active. Maybe other videos show something different. That is where I drew my energy assessment. He would only be about 5 feet away from a player receiving a pass on the weakside and he wouldn't turn and pursue with enough urgency to even effect the player's shot. I agree that he is similar and seems slightly more advanced than KA at this point. Certainly possibilities there. I just think there will need to be lots of development. Lots of habits will need to be broken and new one established in terms of the "way he plays" the game.

I thought on defense he did lots of watching and was not very active. Maybe other videos show something different. That is where I drew my energy assessment. He would only be about 5 feet away from a player receiving a pass on the weakside and he wouldn't turn and pursue with enough urgency to even effect the player's shot. I agree that he is similar and seems slightly more advanced than KA at this point. Certainly possibilities there. I just think there will need to be lots of development. Lots of habits will need to be broken and new one established in terms of the "way he plays" the game.
If this kid wasn’t living in Knoxville he wouldn’t even be in the radar.

It’s lazy azz recruiting. This Drew Pember all over.

Last edited:
Yeah, he missed some opportunities defensively to affect a play, no doubt. Hard to know in a highlight what the circumstance was. For example, if he was in foul trouble, I’d see it as a plus that he knew not to gamble on a block. Still, on the surface, it did look like he lacked defensive intensity in spots, so I get that. Definite potential with work ethic and development.

If this kid wasn’t living in Knoxville he wouldn’t even be in the radar.

It’s lazy azz recruiting. This Drew Pember all over.
Have to agree. Watched the kid play against Bearden a couple weeks ago and he was a non-factor.

Have to agree. Watched the kid play against Bearden a couple weeks ago and he was a non-factor.
Like I said earlier, if you are going to take a project, this is the kind of kid with upside that you want to take a risk on. But I am fine with a healthy level of skepticism surrounding the take based on the number of non-contributors we already are housing on this roster, particularly at the 4 and 5 spots. Pember, Plavsic, and Anosike are just probably never going to do much, unfortunately, so you would hope 1 or 2 of those guys decide to pursue options elsewhere if you are going to take someone like Tamba, who has an equally low floor, even if his ceiling is much higher.

Reactions: TheMookieMonster
Like I said earlier, if you are going to take a project, this is the kind of kid with upside that you want to take a risk on. But I am fine with a healthy level of skepticism surrounding the take based on the number of non-contributors we already are housing on this roster, particularly at the 4 and 5 spots. Pember, Plavsic, and Anosike are just probably never going to do much, unfortunately, so you would hope 1 or 2 of those guys decide to pursue options elsewhere if you are going to take someone like Tamba, who has an equally low floor, even if his ceiling is much higher.

I'm hopeful that at least 1 if not 2 of these players will seek playing time elsewhere this off-season. There is just unfortunately a lot of deadweight on this roster right now. I think all three of them are great teammates and upstanding young men, but we are getting abysmal production from the 4 and the 5 at the moment. We need a shakeup/overhaul in the worst way.

I'm hopeful that at least 1 if not 2 of these players will seek playing time elsewhere this off-season. There is just unfortunately a lot of deadweight on this roster right now. I think all three of them are great teammates and upstanding young men, but we are getting abysmal production from the 4 and the 5 at the moment. We need a shakeup/overhaul in the worst way.

Anosike doesn’t count against scholarships and players with Plavsic’s height are not at all common. Actually Pember’s as well... especially with his perimeter skill set.

Have heard at least one of the ones you mention is all but gone next year.

Meyer's short snippet about him makes him seem like an okay take, and I've been extremely critical of Barnes post recruiting. If he can hit the boards, run, and dunk he's a vast improvement over anything we have. We don't have a single post player on our roster that can do all 3.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Anosike doesn’t count against scholarships and players with Plavsic’s height are not at all common. Actually Pember’s as well... especially with his perimeter skill set.

I mean....does it really matter how tall someone is if they cannot capitalize on it? Yeah, Pember and Plavsic are big, but there is a reason they are not getting minutes. I think Pember is just who he is at this point. I just don't see either of them being real contributors here.

What skill set does Pember have 😂😂😂

We aren’t good on offense and he doesn’t play. Doesn’t seem very skilled when I have seen him.

What skill set does Pember have 😂😂😂

We aren’t good on offense and he doesn’t play. Doesn’t seem very skilled when I have seen him.

Knocks down 3s and handles the ball very well for somebody close to 7’ tall. You’ve not seen him in games long enough to break a sweat.

Knocks down 3s and handles the ball very well for somebody close to 7’ tall. You’ve not seen him in games long enough to break a sweat.

He’s shown almost zero of that in any of the minutes he’s played in two years. Plus we need offense so if he could play why wouldn’t Barnes play him some?

He’s shown almost zero of that in any of the minutes he’s played in two years. Plus we need offense so if he could play why wouldn’t Barnes play him some?

He hasn’t been in long enough to even warm up.

Defense.

He has 3 more years to mature.

Have heard at least one of the ones you mention is all but gone next year.
By process of elimination, I feel I know who you're talking about, and it is truly in his best interest, I believe. Hate it for him, but he's just not going to get the kind of playing time he'd like at Tennessee.

LOL. He’s jacked up a three every chance he gets and clanks. Good grief, Pember was a reach and not one Barnes needs to be taking at this time in his tenure.

Defense.

Come on. He was a barely top 300 player who has put on zero muscle in almost two years and can’t get on the court for two bad offensive teams. It’s okay to say he was a miss

Defense.

I feel fairly confident in saying Pember will not be on this team in 3 years. If he is I also feel confident that his role will still be bench warmer. I hate it for him, because he seems to love the university and he grew up in Knoxville, but I simply do not see him as a contributor. He has been on the team two years now and has failed to crack the lineup with clear playing time in the post available.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I did like TGO saying I haven’t seen him long enough to break a sweat in games but yet apparently he knows he can shoot threes and handle the ball lol

By process of elimination, I feel I know who you're talking about, and it is truly in his best interest, I believe. Hate it for him, but he's just not going to get the kind of playing time he'd like at Tennessee.
Agree

I did like TGO saying I haven’t seen him long enough to break a sweat in games but yet apparently he knows he can shoot threes and handle the ball lol

He’s not going to join the Harlem Globetrotters but he does lead the team in assists/minute. He also doesn’t have a bad assist/TO ratio. And he can play facing the basket. He’s a wing right now, the most loaded position. 3 ahead of him will be long gone by the time he’s a senior. I think it’s small minded to throw in the towel with him. As I said earlier... he has 3 more years left. If he can add weight he’ll be able to play as a 5. He could solidly fill spots 2-5. But I guess Barnes doesn’t have a clue. Am I doing it right?

VN Store

Back